mtbr member
    Sep 2004

SS Race Set-Up Need Input

I have a Bianchi DISS that I'm running Mutano Raptor 2.4 and a 80mm Duke on the front. I entered my first SS race last week and found the handling a bit off. I was thinking of going back to the rigid fork and putting my 2.25 Cinders back on since those tend to corner better. I know I would take more of a beating but do you think the rigid fork would be a better choice for the short fast lap races. The Duke changed the head tube angle a little more than I would have liked but I wanted the suspension and I figured I'd get some of that handling back with the rigid.

Give me some Pro's and Con's. Don't tell me to put the rigid back on cause it's cool, I'm not looking to be cool, just a little faster.

mtbr member

I'd rather be......

I'd rather be coool in places 10th through last.
    I've (our team) gotten first place two years in a row in the rigid division though.

The only three race courses that I've been to have been fine for rigid. Nothing to rough as far as the downhills go. Well, maybe Tmec was rough and steep. Wish I had rear brakes for the last race.

I'd say go back to the rigid because you are able to feel more comfortable on the bike during the race.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailVictim
    I have a Bianchi DISS that I'm running Mutano Raptor 2.4 and a 80mm Duke on the front. I entered my first SS race last week and found the handling a bit off. I was thinking of going back to the rigid fork and putting my 2.25 Cinders back on since those tend to corner better. I know I would take more of a beating but do you think the rigid fork would be a better choice for the short fast lap races. The Duke changed the head tube angle a little more than I would have liked but I wanted the suspension and I figured I'd get some of that handling back with the rigid.

Give me some Pro's and Con's. Don't tell me to put the rigid back on cause it's cool, I'm not looking to be cool, just a little faster.
    I too ride a Bianchi DISS. I was running a RockShox Pyslo SL with in the 4" travel mode (U-Turn). I have since switch to a converted Cannondale Lefty fork that I made a 1 1/8" steerer to fit my DISS.
    With both forks I think the the DISS is a very neutral handling bike.
    I have had nothing but rave reveiws about the WTB MutanoRaptor 2.4 tires, but I guess any tire could be area specific.