Thread: SS project

mtbr member

SS project

Seems like one can't stop still when there's bicycles involved...

I've gotten two bicycles stolen since moving to Chicago's South Loop. It isn't quiet where I live now, but it certainly adds a lot of color to life.

Not having built a bicycle in a while was getting to me. Some of the bikes I have owned since since I moved to Illinois four years ago have come and gone.

Sold everything I had, even bicycles, and began rebuilding my life since 2013.

Then in December 2015, I moved to the heart of the city.

One day, I took the dog out for a walk... I come back home and my Surly Pugsley (SS) was gone. I had left it along with my girlfriend's Pugsley and a couple of neighbor bikes under a stairway in the secure part of our small four story condo building. I still carry the police report in my wallet. Turns out the 1st floor business had a party, and some jerk somehow got into the rear stairway, and swiped my bike.

Then this past April, I got mugged coming out of a Bing search engine party down town. As soon as I unlocked the Steamroller, a guy came up to me, pushed be back hard and I fell on my back (crowded street, surprised no one helped) and another guy grabbed my bike and ran away with it... forward to this past Sunday morning, and I saw a man riding my Steamroller! All different parts, but same frame. I rode fast behind him to look at the right and left sides of the frame, and yes, it was mine. I let him go... what could I have done?

Anyway, I do have other bikes I work on, but the SS bug is still there. I want to find a reliable frame, which I did! An old 80's Schwinn bike frame I found on Craigslist. Picking it up on Saturday morning.

Anyway, here's the parts list I've made to bring this old fart to life.

I am thinking for the rear cog, an 18t. Front chainring, I will have to experiment, but I am thinking a 42t up front.

Powdercoat? Perhaps.

Here's the list. Enjoy. Name:  Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 1.39.44 PM.png
Views: 814
Size:  30.5 KB

mtbr member
    Mate that sucks! I can't wait to see how this build shapes up!

meatier showers
    Hey Ernesto, long time since you & I have chatted on MTBR; good to see you're still around.

I guess where we live is as important as what we ride. Personally I live in (well, near) Eugene, Oregon, the other USA city that voids Kryptonite's lock guarantee because bike theft here is off the hook. I don't leave my bikes out of my sight and I know guys who've had bikes stolen out of their locked garages at home. Sick.

I hope there's an especially hot corner in hell for bike thieves. Good luck on your build.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Thanks Sparti - now for some bicycles and hookers!

mtbr member
    Frame acquired. Craigslist frame - Schwinn Mirada - now that I have it, the dirty work begins. I've actually cleaned the entire frame, removed the bars and cranks (which I will donate to the local bike co-op because the pedal on the non-drive side is seized - no amount of herculean vain poppin on the forehead strength can get it loose). Already put on an old 4 bolt Redline crankset with a square taper bottom bracket and ordered some Amazonian parts... More to come.SS project-img_4240.jpgSS project-img_4241.jpgSS project-img_4242.jpgSS project-img_4243.jpgSS project-img_4244.jpgSS project-img_4245.jpgSS project-img_4246.jpgSS project-img_4247.jpg

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Looks like a worthy project! Can't wait to follow along.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Yes, I will be posting pics as go along with this build.

Combat Wombat
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Hey Ernesto, long time since you & I have chatted on MTBR; good to see you're still around.

I guess where we live is as important as what we ride. Personally I live in (well, near) Eugene, Oregon, the other USA city that voids Kryptonite's lock guarantee because bike theft here is off the hook. I don't leave my bikes out of my sight and I know guys who've had bikes stolen out of their locked garages at home. Sick.

I hope there's an especially hot corner in hell for bike thieves. Good luck on your build.
    =sParty
    I still have a WI ENO freewheel that I bought from Ernesto a few years back.

While bike thieves have always been a problem to some extent, within the last year, it has gotten crazy in the Oklahoma City and Tulsa area. Seems like nearly a daily occurrence to see someone posting on social media about losing their bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Why powder coat and risk drawing attention to another shiny bike? Will this be an urban trail bike/commuter build or will you actually ride trails? The reason I'm asking is because I've built an old 90's Trek Mountain Track 800 into a SS. No tensioner was required due to the semi-horizontal drop outs and I'm still using a QR skewer. I'm only running a 36/20 though and I do ride it on technical trails with a pretty good climb. I'm 225 lbs. and haven't had any axle slippage yet, so you may not need the Tugg Nut. But I guess that's a good insurance policy. Post some pic's when you're finished.

meatier showers
    Hell, post some pictures of the hookers!
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My beer bike is a Trek 800 with semi horizontal drops that I got new as a teenager. Thousands of miles singlespeeded on an old steel shimano quick release and no slippage. You don't need a tug nut, just make sure your skewer is all steel and crank that sucker down.

Edit: also, a Surly Tuggnut will not physically work with those drops. I've used severAl styles of tensioners on other frames and none I have seen will work on semi horizontals.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Same bike, same skewers and same result. No slippage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by orvil View Post
    Why powder coat and risk drawing attention to another shiny bike?
    True. My GF suggested to not have it repainted for the same reasons. leaving it natural so it can blend in the city.

Yes, Tugg Nuts are going on it. Been getting parts here and there. New Tektro CX brakes already look bitchin'.

It will be more of an urban bike. The frame is actually the oldest part of the project - all other parts are relatively new and yes, I will put on the dirt drops from the fat bike on this bike. Just because.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeStroganoff View Post
    My beer bike is a Trek 800 with semi horizontal drops that I got new as a teenager. Thousands of miles singlespeeded on an old steel shimano quick release and no slippage. You don't need a tug nut, just make sure your skewer is all steel and crank that sucker down.

Edit: also, a Surly Tuggnut will not physically work with those drops. I've used severAl styles of tensioners on other frames and none I have seen will work on semi horizontals.
    I've used Tuggnuts on other frames with semi horizontals. They're worked ok on my ex-wife's Cross Check.

As for this build, I am going to not use the Tuggnuts... but will use the Hurdy Gurdy ones instead. I don't drink anymore, so no need for bottle openers. Here's some pictures I stole from the interwebs.

Name:  DF2XN.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  71.0 KBName:  zaQtK.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  43.0 KB

mtbr member
    here are some parts to quench that thirst... so far what I've got.Name:  crankset.jpeg
Views: 462
Size:  11.8 KBName:  Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 1.41.44 PM.png
Views: 463
Size:  55.9 KBName:  brakes.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  18.6 KBName:  s-l225.jpg
Size:  5.4 KBName:  Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 1.36.38 PM.png
Size:  50.9 KBName:  31T8KSVETDL._SX355_.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  8.9 KB

mtbr member
    The project is changing... The frame is in the basement but decided against making it high priority. I am switching frames.

A buddy of mine gave me an old GT Karakoram. 20". 1993 - Vertical dropouts. Perfect for ENO wheelset I have, and this frame already has some sweet parts I'll just reuse for city commuting shenanigans.

In the mean time, enjoy some videos I've taken while commuting in the the cittttthay!

https://youtu.be/pkEEYqmuAn8

https://youtu.be/jlBIR6jz3F8

https://youtu.be/4SXqk5Nod9Q

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin View Post
    The project is changing...
    Aha! Mission creep. I know it well.

Soon it will be 2 bikes under construction....
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    True! Here's the change...SS project-img_4421.jpgSS project-img_4422.jpg

mtbr member
    Who says this has to be mountain bike specific?
    Cross Check I was working on this weekend.SS project-img_4426.jpgSS project-img_4431.jpgSS project-img_4432.jpgSS project-img_4434.jpgSS project-img_4435.jpg

mtbr member
    Since Cross Checks count as an anything bike, here's a finished project.SS project-img_4442.jpg

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin View Post
    True! Here's the change...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4421.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	1151597Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4422.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	1151598
    I like this very very much. What a cool bike, had one many years ago but never in such a great color. Great work Ernesto!
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Complete! As with every frankenbike, this has a lot of room for upgrades, downgrades, etc. But for now, it will be the city commute beater. All I need id a binder bolt so I don't have to take off the seatpost when I lock it... or maybe construct a chain retention with saddle/frame for un-steal-a-bility. With duct tape.SS project-img_4838.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SS project-img_4421.jpg  

mtbr member

GT Complete

The GT Karakoram commuter rig is complete! The way I wanted it. No worries and no frills. I even locked down the saddle Chicago style.SS project-img_4923.jpgSS project-img_4924.jpgSS project-img_4927.jpgSS project-img_4928.jpgSS project-img_4933.jpgSS project-img_4934.jpgSS project-img_4935.jpgSS project-img_4936.jpgSS project-img_4937.jpg