Thread: SS positioning

mtbr member

SS positioning

I'm new to single speeds and have noticed that the ss'ers i ride with have a much higher position on the bike, bars level with the seat or above, compared to the 3" drop on my gearie. Before I start ordering up stems, bars, cutting the steer tube, etc.. can any of you learned ss'ers fill me in on the basics of positioning?

Many thanks,

e

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by escamillo
    I'm new to single speeds and have noticed that the ss'ers i ride with have a much higher position on the bike, bars level with the seat or above, compared to the 3" drop on my gearie. Before I start ordering up stems, bars, cutting the steer tube, etc.. can any of you learned ss'ers fill me in on the basics of positioning?

Many thanks,

e

My position is the same on both SS and geared.

the cool nerd
    I agree, my position is the same on SS or geared (or at least pretty close)

scott

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    I agree, my position is the same on SS or geared (or at least pretty close)

scott
    Me three.
    one big difference (and this may factor into how you get set up) is the amount of standing on an SS. you certainly want plenty of room to move about the cockpit. of course, that is how i have always liked my geared bikes (and even my road bikes).
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by escamillo

Many thanks,

e
    I would find it hard to stand and crank if the bars were well below my seat.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    Me three.
    one big difference (and this may factor into how you get set up) is the amount of standing on an SS. you certainly want plenty of room to move about the cockpit. of course, that is how i have always liked my geared bikes (and even my road bikes).
    Not me. My handlebar is higher/closer on the SS so I can stand up straighter and use my back and upper body muscles better when standing. Since I'm using my upper body to saw back and forth on the bar so much, I picture it being as if I'm lifting a heavy object with my back more straight and vertical versus bent over at the waist.
    Last edited by Nat; 02-08-2005 at 11:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

it's not rocket science....

just set 'em level and ride adjust and rise as necassary..... there are no rules, just find what's comfy/natural/feels good to you.. ......sorry there is one rule though .... you must smile :-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

errr sorry I'll try that again...

just set 'em level (bars and saddle) go ride and adjust, ride/adjust as necassary..... there are no rules, just find what's comfy/natural/feels good to you.. ......sorry there is one rule though .... you must smile :-)

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    Me three.

Agreed. I started out my with my SS set up to mimic the cockpit on my gearie. Something wasn't quite right, and a shorter stem and risers made a world of difference when it came to keeping the rear wheel hooked up on steeper climbs over loose surfaces. it wasn't too long thereafter before I changed the setup on my gearie to mimic the cockpit of my SS. I think the lifting analogy elsewhere in the thread is a good one.

Kef
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I ride bars that come from the Trek Bruiser. Fashioned after a bmx bar. The position is the most comfortable/natural I have had. I too feel that it allows me to have an upright stance for climbing and a relaxed seated position.

keF

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i have my Titec FlatTracker bars level with the seat. I find this arrangment to be a good all round position for climbing and decending on the SS. Use the bars-level-with-seat as a starting point, and ride&adjust from there. If anything I would fine tune my position by having the bars a little higher than the seat for a more upright position, which seems to work better with wide bars.

mtbr member
    Many thanks guys.

As for the smile I thought that was automatic on a single speed.

e

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    My setup is the same. My grips are about 4" below the saddle. I get more power and can better use my whole body when I am leaning forward from the hips and stretched out a bit. My shoulders barely move whether I am in the saddle or out. I can also grip the brake hoods rather than the drops for a higher more forward hand position.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

I keep it all the same...

My roadie, xcross, dualie, fully rigid, geared, track, etc.. positions are probably within 5 to 10 mm of each other... (top of handlebar 3 inches lower than top of saddle). It works for me but then again, I don't ride SS full time like others here who maybe more knowledgeable as to what works best over the long term... Try different positions but when adjusting, try not to make huge incremental moves (half an inch at a time max, quarter inch at a time is better)...