Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010

SS On One Lurcher

Converted my Lurcher to SS for winter mud riding. This was easy to do because of the frame's swap out dropouts.

What a great combination. Light, stiff frame and fork. Stout wheels with super engagement by the CK SS hub. I am real happy with this set up. And a bargain ($600 sale price for frame/fork combo, and great prices on other On One parts).

@ 19.5 inch frame and rigid fork
    @ On One Smoothie Mixer headset
    @ SLX crank, On One ring and bash guard, Shimano 8-speed chain
    @ WTB i23 rims, DT 350 front hub, CK rear hub and cog (great wheels built by Steve at SRLPE)
    @ tubeless WTB Bronson Race 2.2 on the front and Bontrager Mud X on the back
    @ XT brakes, On One oversize riser bar, Planet X stem, Titus ODI grips
    @ WTB saddle and MAXM post
    @ Crud Catcher rear fender

I think it's about 21 pounds. A really fun ride.

SS On One Lurcher-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353985664.989362.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Any chance of getting a couple close ups of the dropouts? Such a good looking bike...

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    Love it! Looks like fun terrain to ride as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Horizontal dropouts on the bike, and vertical dropouts in my hand. This is the 6th On One bike I have built. All of them have been excellent bikes at great prices.

SS On One Lurcher-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354050248.773402.jpg
    SS On One Lurcher-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354050283.532118.jpg
    SS On One Lurcher-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354050309.605111.jpg
    SS On One Lurcher-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354050348.736643.jpg
    SS On One Lurcher-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354050365.619173.jpg

ask
    user
    Nice photos and write up. I bought a Lurcher a couple months back and setup SS. Great bike so far. I am running a Fox fork, but planning to install a carbon fork eventually... how do you like the On One carbon fork?

Any trouble with the Smoothie Mixer headset? I can't seem to get mine to stop rattling. Tried adjusting / reinstalling a couple times and still seems just a touch loose.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That's funny about our forks -- I am planning to eventually find a suspension fork for my Lurcher, and you are planning to get a rigid!

I really like this monocoque rigid fork. It is VERY light and strong. I have had no troubles at all with the head set, stem or fork. This fork is great for winter riding and single track that is somewhat rocky and rooty but not too crazy (small jumps are OK though).

I get a creak every once in a while in the top of the seat tube, but tightening the QR seat clamp makes it go away. Should probably switch to a bolt-on seat clamp.

Note that I used a Profile Design bung hole plug on the carbon fork steerer tube. This was necessary because of the thick walls of the steerer tube.

I am undecided about getting a suspension fork with a tapered steerer tube (perfect for the Lurcher) or one with a straight 1 1/8th inch tube that I could also run on my steel Inbred 29er.

Your opinion?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the pics..... Was wondering about the thickness and build quality, looks great.

I see your point about being able to use the fork on both bikes, but I'd suggest getting the tapered one so you can reap the tapered headtube... Straight tube suspension forks will only become more prevalent on the used market so I would get one for each... FWIW...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenemtbing View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354050348.736643.jpg 
Views:	1025 
Size:	197.0 KB 
ID:	740337
    What lockring is that?

conjoinicorned
    That's funny about our forks -- I am planning to eventually find a suspension fork for my Lurcher, and you are planning to get a rigid!

I really like this monocoque rigid fork. It is VERY light and strong. I have had no troubles at all with the head set, stem or fork. This fork is great for winter riding and single track that is somewhat rocky and rooty but not too crazy (small jumps are OK though).

I get a creak every once in a while in the top of the seat tube, but tightening the QR seat clamp makes it go away. Should probably switch to a bolt-on seat clamp.

Note that I used a Profile Design bung hole plug on the carbon fork steerer tube. This was necessary because of the thick walls of the steerer tube.

I am undecided about getting a suspension fork with a tapered steerer tube (perfect for the Lurcher) or one with a straight 1 1/8th inch tube that I could also run on my steel Inbred 29er.

Your opinion?

Can you elaborate a bit on the fork, what kind of terrain/speeds do you feel comfortable on? I'm trying to decide between a niner or an on-one for my lurcher but the lack of ride reports on the on-one is freaky. I want to ride hard in rocky terrain but hey, its a rigid bike so...

Thanks, nice ride, I love mine.

To your question, I would get a tapered fork and take advantage of the frame. Get a wide fork and a surly 3" tire or a fat front for your steel inbred
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The lock ring, spacers and "fun bolts" are standard stuff with the CK SS hub.

As for the fork, it is super light and strong. I suspect there are not many ride reports out there because this fork has not been on the market very long.

I wish I had weighed the fork before putting it on the bike. It felt paper light. When riding, it feels strong and relatively stiff. My skills (or lack of skills) are definitely the limiting factor in terms of speed, obstacles and maneuverability, and not my confidence in the fork.

During a ride this week in a hilly, muddy area, for example, I easily cleared 3 to 4 foot high log pile ramps, a large wooden ramp/jump on a steep downhill, large roots (at a 90 degree and at diagonal angles to the trail) and small/closely spaced dirt jumps/humps.

The front end is light and easy to pop up over obstacles, and yet another trait of these On One 29ers that I appreciate is their ability to climb so well without bucking up or getting squirrelly in the front.

OK, now I am straying from a description of the fork and into a review of the frame. As you can see, I really like the On One 29er geo.

I have not ridden a Niner, so I can't compare this fork to one of those. However, this fork is more stiff and (it seems) stronger than the eXotic carbon fork I have on my steel Inbred 29er. The eXotic fork flexes more front-to-back when clearing obstacles and braking suddenly. That fork has round carbon stantions on an alloy crown, while the On One monocoque fork is all carbon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Another limiting factor in general with riding any rigid set up (at least for me) is the fatigue factor on long rocky rides, such as extended riverside trails. This year, I did quite a few rides on trails like this with the steel 29er hardtail/eXotic fork combo. A little squish would have been nice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Hasn't the chain slapping the chain stay annoyed you? Seems like the stays angle down from the bb bringing the chain about 1/2" away from the stay. When the drive train is under load the chain slackens and slaps the stay. I've had quite a few ss bikes and this is the only one I've ever had an issue with. I put the vertical droputs on and use a tensioner to keep the chain away from the frame. Other than that it's an awesome bike. Has anyone else run into this? I can't run anything larger than an 18t on the rear because Profie only makes up to an 18t.
    "yea that's right, I stand up to shift"

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by Got-Bike!! View Post
    Hasn't the chain slapping the chain stay annoyed you? Seems like the stays angle down from the bb bringing the chain about 1/2" away from the stay. When the drive train is under load the chain slackens and slaps the stay. I've had quite a few ss bikes and this is the only one I've ever had an issue with. I put the vertical droputs on and use a tensioner to keep the chain away from the frame. Other than that it's an awesome bike. Has anyone else run into this? I can't run anything larger than an 18t on the rear because Profie only makes up to an 18t.
    Yup, it irritated me for exactly one ride...until I slapped on an old tube chain stay protector and now I don't hear a thing (I'm running a 20t). It's the first time I've needed one on an SS but all my geared bikes have one, it doesnt look any worse than they do, and I'd rather run gears than a tensioner

It's my first carbon frame and I've really noticed the weird echo when little rocks and trail debris hit the frame, at first I was freaked but now I realize its just the way it is and no damage is actually occurring. I really enjoy the ride and feel of the carbon, well worth a bit of noise IMO
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I put a tube around the drive-side chain stay when I first put this bike together, and haven't notice any chain slap.

mtbr member
    +1 for the tube on the chainstay. No slap at all.
    RideMFRide

ask
    user
    I put a $9 LizardSkin (29er size I think) on mine... no noise at all.

Lizard Skins Jumbo 29er Chainstay Protector - Free Shipping at REI.com

meatier showers
    Converted ...

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353985664.989362.jpg 
Views:	1900 
Size:	296.9 KB 
ID:	740164
    Hey Joe, looks great. Photo taken @Whypass?

--Davey Sprockett
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yes, a great bike for Whypass workouts. Been doing more mud riding in the past few weeks than I could fit in when the weather was so nice this summer!

Next trip to Whypass wil be on this one -- my steel Inbred 29er with a Fargo V2 fork for bikepacking.

SS On One Lurcher-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356660480.089394.jpg

meatier showers
    Yes, a great bike for Whypass workouts. Been doing more mud riding in the past few weeks than I could fit in when the weather was so nice this summer!

Next trip to Whypass wil be on this one -- my steel Inbred 29er with a Fargo V2 fork for bikepacking.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356660480.089394.jpg 
Views:	1859 
Size:	233.8 KB 
ID:	748479
    I have the same bike. Well, same frame. Well, different size. Anyway it's a goodun. Now that I have the Honzo I'll probably use my Inbred for commuting to/from work. See you on the trails soon... All Comer's Meet?
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I will be there. Hope to bring something fancier than the canned ravioli I brought last time!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Found the rear axle creeping forward on recent hilly rides. Switched these On One tugs from another bike to this one. They work great. Also like how easy it is to make a bearing play adjustment on the CK hub (seldom required).

SS On One Lurcher-imageuploadedbytapatalk1356910832.322237.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Fun times on this rocky/rooty Oregon river trail. This trail was a lot more fun on this all-carbon rigid setup than when I rode it with my steel 29er SS with a rigid eXotic carbon fork a few months ago. I guess I am getting a better feel for the advantages of carbon.

SS On One Lurcher-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357700944.788101.jpg
    SS On One Lurcher-imageuploadedbytapatalk1357700962.296955.jpg

meatier showers
    Heh heh... I know EXACTLY where that is! Lucky! I had to woik today.

But I did ride up thataway 10 days ago. Trestle Creek Falls was rippin'... lots o' water comin' over the top this time of year. I love that the trail goes behind the falls. Yer bike's lookin' good, bro!

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Yeah, it's great having the trails all to myself on weekdays -- which is my weekend -- but I sure hate having to work when all the fun DOD rides and trail work parties are happening. I feel like a phantom DOD member! And, yes, today was the most fun I have ever had on Brice Creek!

meatier showers
    Yeah, it's great having the trails all to myself on weekdays -- which is my weekend -- but I sure hate having to work when all the fun DOD rides and trail work parties are happening. I feel like a phantom DOD member! And, yes, today was the most fun I have ever had on Brice Creek!
    Hopefully you can get Sunday the 20th off... hopefully. Hell you should be a ride leader at ACM, Joe!

--Davey
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast