mtbr member
    Feb 2004

To SS or not to SS: commuter bikes

Well, for the last two weeks I rode my trusty old Schwinn gearie around town in constant rain. The long-sputtering drivetrain couldn't handle it, and finally up and died. I'm thinking I'd like to just toss the whole heap and convert it into a singlespeed. Though I'll be riding this thing on the roads 95% of the time, I'll probably get the urge to take it out on the trails. What kinda gearing is better for road riding? Its mostly flat around here, save for a few short, steep North Jersey hills, and I do have to high tail it to get from class to class in time. When you have to move fast does only having one gear get in the way much, or will I be able find one that will let me get some speed on the flats and grind my way up the hills?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

ss commuter bike = good!

definately consider converting your commuter rig to ss! i converted a lemond poprad to 1x1 for my 52 mile round-trip commute, and i don't plan on going back to gears...ever! at times, i'd like a little less gear, but 39x18 suits me well on my mostly flat commute. sure, i suffer on the few climbs i have on my ride, but much less, and it would be too spinny for my tastes. run those tires at max psi! don't worry about getting to class on time....you'll have no problem! safe travels...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yeah--SS commute

I commute by SS. It's not far, but it's mostly dirt trails and bikepath (with some nice hills) and I really like it. I ride my trail bike (fat knobbys and 2:1 gearing), 'cause I'm way too lazy to be changing my tires/gearing for real rides.

I've got a couple of other frames laying around. So, if I get around to it, I am gonna make one into a dedicated commuter. SS, skinny knobs, and fenders definitely -- but this one's gonna be fixed, so I've gotta figure out gearing too.
    Porrick

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I've been pretending my bike was SS for the last couple days, trying my various commute routes in a couple different gears. I decided on 34 x 14 and did a temporary SS conversion today. I adjusted the limiter screw on the rear derailleur until it was over the 14 ring, and took out the cable and a couple chain links. At some point I'm gonna get around to picking up a real tensioner and freewheel spacers. Probably going to strip the paint down and paint the whole thing flat black too. Gonna be one hot commuter.

highly visible

Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by theRepublican
    I've been pretending my bike was SS for the last couple days, trying my various commute routes in a couple different gears. I decided on 34 x 14 and did a temporary SS conversion today. I adjusted the limiter screw on the rear derailleur until it was over the 14 ring, and took out the cable and a couple chain links. At some point I'm gonna get around to picking up a real tensioner and freewheel spacers. Probably going to strip the paint down and paint the whole thing flat black too. Gonna be one hot commuter.
    Good for you for saving that old beauty. SS is a good way to go for commuting if you don't have huge hills, especially if you intend to ride regardless of weather. I run my 'crosser 42x17 most of the time (was 42x16 but my new commute has some substantial hills). 42x18 gets me spinning out more than I'd like on very gradual (1-2%) long downhills but is still acceptable. Unless you've got some monster hills, I wouldn't go much lower than about 2.1:1 for a ratio - 2:1 is too low for commuting IMO.

Recovering couch patato
    I've been liking the 52/20 on my Surly Pacer for commuting, but that it's going to do crit duty in 56/17, I'll soon put 48/18 on my Cross-Check, for a little bit more gear. Spinning out with tailwinds sucks, after a long hard day's work, I want to get home asap.
    Any thoughts on ideal commuter tire width? I am thinking about 28x1.5 or *narrow) 2.0 slicks, the Pacer was on 28's. I dn't think any one is faster roller than the other, just that wider=heavier+more comfy.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hoi Cloxxi and hello to everyone else,

I've being riding my Cross Check at 38x14 to my work (Rotterdam - Den Haag) after the cyclo-cross season finished. I like the silence of the bike and the fact you don't have to think about the drive train. The ride is 35km each way and the time it takes doesn't differ much to when I ride my geared bike. I used to where a HRM and worry about what gear I was in and what cadence I was pushing round. Now I enjoy watching the chainging of the seasons, new born lambs, flowers blooming etc. etc. I would certainly recommend it, you can always change back and my conversion only cost $20 for some spacers, cog and a KMC chain. Worth the gamble I feel...

I've being running 28" 38mm tyres that do have profile but with a central strip tread pattern which runs nice and smooth.

On my Pacer I've run 28mm tyres which were nice, but I'd try 32mm Schwalbe Slick Marathons next time I think.

The main reason for me to run a thicker tire is that it is easier to change the tube if I flat. I find 23mm race tyres a real pain to remove and mount and when it's cold and dark, commuting on your bike is less fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

38mm Hutchinson Acrobats....

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Any thoughts on ideal commuter tire width? I am thinking about 28x1.5 or *narrow) 2.0 slicks, the Pacer was on 28's. I dn't think any one is faster roller than the other, just that wider=heavier+more comfy.
    With one giant hill on my route, and a variation from street to dirt to multi-use path, I've found a 1x8 setup best for my commuter. For tires, I got Hutchinson Acrobats and love them. They're 38mm wide, and a little heavy, but they have small side lugs for cornering in the dirt and stiffer sidewalls and a belted tread for flat protection. Plus, they're $10 apiece from Nashbar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

ss commuter

SS is the only way to commute. I currently use a converted mtn bike with 42:18 or 42:16. Depending on where I am heading I can encounter a few hills here and there. I use the 18 in the winter for sure and go to the 16 cog when I am feeling strong in the warmer months. I use it to do most of my errands eliminating the frustration involved with battling traffic and it feels good when I am not burning over priced fuel. I appreciate the fact that I can commute everytime I am on my bike, even when I have to ride home in the snow.

Getting ready to convert an old touring bike to fixie as a commuting vessel (and yes I am putting a front brake on it)

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed
    SS is the only way to commute.
    ------------------------
    Getting ready to convert an old touring bike to fixie as a commuting vessel (and yes I am putting a front brake on it)
    Right on sweetleafer!
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.