Thread: SS new bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

SS new bike

Hello. I am wanting to get into mountain biking to help my overall health (went from a very active job to school full time) and have decided my first bike will be a SS 29er. I am having issues finding information on which bikes I should be looking into. So hopefully a few of your Pros can help point me in the right direction.

I was hoping to get a HT (which i think means front suspension and rigid back). As a new out of shape rider I figue some suspension would be needed to keep from kicking my rear.

I have a budget of only $1000. Though i do plan on upgrading parts as I gain knowledge. I will be buying from a lbs. Like to buy new over used for ease of mind.

I will be using it for multipurposes. Commute to school and around campus, Hit the trails around the Ozarks, with future trips to other trails. I tend to take 3 or 4 road trips out of state every year so will be planing on exploring as much as I can. I am (30years) 275 pounds at 6'3 and most of that weight has been gained in the last year Iv been in school. The excess weight has got to go and biking seems like a fun way to do it.

What I was hoping for is a list of 3 to 4 bikes you all can suggest as being good choices to look into. Then I can do research into them and test them out myself and make my choice. The budget is only $1,000 but since I am hoping I get hooked into the sport ill buy a better one in 2-3 years (when i get out of college). By then Ill have a ton more knowledge and drop $3-4k on one.

mtbr member
    Try Surly. You're gonna need a stout bike. (no offense intended)

Going with a rigid fork will save you money you can spend on quality rims.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    I would recommend the Gt Peace 9er or the Se Stout. I own a Stout and I have nothing bad to say about it, its as the name states, very stout. the stout is also cost effective because it gives you a good base to start out with and upgrading it wouldn't be too expensive.
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Apr 2007
    What ever you get, you will need to budget at least ~$400 for a custom wheel build, as the stockers most likely will not last long.

If you have a Redline dealer near you, test out a Monocog. Bike would be around $500, and maybe a Tora fork for $150 (used). Then save the rest for new wheels and other parts (headset and bottom bracket).

Members who have read this thread: 0