Mtbr

SS hubs that will fit multiple cogs

Hi, I am in search of a hub for my build of my Surly Cross Check. I will run it single speed 50% of the time and 1x3-5(depending on the hub) the other half of the time because the bike pulls dual road duty. Please chime in with which SS hubs can fit multiple cogs. Chris King and Hope are out due to the noise, I have a hope and like it for mtb only. Rim brake is fine. DT Swiss 240 I heard fits a few. Does anyone know about White Eno, Paul, >>>Phil Wood<<<, or anything else? The Phil Wood is my first choice and I may just go with there 5 speed freewheel cassette hub. I would really like the strength of an SS hub, so would the Kiss Off work?

Thanks!
    [SIZE="1"]2008 Rig[/SIZE]

metrotuned WoS
    Most any MTB non-SS rear hub can fit a single or multiple cogs with spacers. That includes the brands you listed. An SS hub from Phil: you would need to run a dingle cog (White Industries) as it takes freewheels, not cogs.
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Hope has room for a few cogs.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Needed Less ~ Did More
    Try adding a little thick oil to the pawls of your Hope hub. This made mine a lot quieter but did not affect the engagement.

SSP
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Unless you really, really, need a symmetrical hub (for a stronger wheel), why not just use a normal hub with a SS kit? Then you can fit 9 or even 10 cogs!