mtbr member

SS Hub vs. Cassette Conv.

Are there any upsides/downsides to using a cassette/SS conversion kit compared to using a SS specific hub?

mtbr member
    SS specific hubs can lead to stronger wheelbuilds as the flanges on the hub are equally spaced and the rim does not have to be dished to one side. Can the difference be felt? Not sure myself. It seems to me that variables such as spoke diameter, rim flexiness, spoke tension, etc would have a larger effect.

A freewheel hub is a very simple piece of equipment. No moving parts in the hub; the engagement mechanisms are entirely housed in the freewheel and so are easily replaceable.

If due to injury or anything else you need gears again then a full size cassette hub means you don't have to buy new wheels.

Geared hubs often are QR only, which does not work as well with horizontal dropouts. That said, I am using a QR with a Tugnutt on my bike without problems

If you have to sell them there is a bigger market for geared wheelsets than SS specific ones

I like the infinite chainline adjustment on cassette hubs. There are also SS specific cassette hubs that have a freehub small enough to eliminate dish but still have lots of room

Hmm. Maybe I sound a bit too negative about SS hubs. I do appreciate flexibility in my bike. With a geared cassette hub and a frame with a derailleur hanger, I know if I ever had to run gears or ever wanted to run gears all I would need is the new drivetrain and not a new bike an/or wheels. If this if for your second or third bike, then go for it and make it SS specific

mtbr member
    Ditto what boomn said. I'm a big guy, 6'4" and 275lbs and I have a cassette hub on my built SS. I hammer on the pedals and have not had any durability issues surface. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Ovaries on the Outside
    I have a cassette conversion on several bikes without problems and I also really like how adjustable the chainline is, but also admit that SS specific hubs make the bike look way sweeter.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. You guys pretty much confirmed what I was thinking myself. I am looking at possibly building up a Mamasita as a SS but I would also like to have the option of being able to throw gears on it without purchasing a separate rear wheel. Just wanted to make sure that there weren't any reliability issues with the conversion. Thanks.

Frt Range, CO
    Jenson has bolt-on axles that fit Shimano QR hubs, it's the 10mmX180mm version:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ring+Axle.aspx

don't forget the nuts:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Axle+Nuts.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Good point about the Jenson axles. Actually, almost any bike shop in the world has that same "conversion kit"...Shimano hubs use standard threaded axles that can be replaced with standard solid threaded axles. If the shop doesn't have the fancy nuts with the captured washers, just use regular nuts with washers underneath. I have done it myself with a Shimano hub I am using for SS.