mtbr member
    May 2008

SS HT 29 for ~$1.5k

I'm thinking about picking up a SS HT 29er. I'd like to get a complete bike but haven't found a ton in the $1.5k price range. I know there's the Trek Rig but what else is out there?

I've also thought about building from scratch but it seems like that would be significantly more $
    Last edited by bank5; 02-14-2012 at 08:02 PM.

Kicker of Elves
    Might have to go a little over your spending limit there...

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You need at least three dollars to get into a bike with a good suspension fork.
    - Simon

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by M_S View Post
    You need at least three dollars to get into a bike with a good suspension fork.
    Haha! But what if it's on close out?

I was originally going to write $1.5-2k but then removed the 2k. Forgot to add the k after the $1.5

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I just built a Misfit with a Reba, Sun Ringle Charger Expert wheels, SLX crank, Easton EC-70 carbon bar and seat post and Avid Juicy 3 brakes. The build is right at $2k. You could certainly build something far cheaper and well within your budget, especially if you hunt for deals and are happy with a rigid fork. Since I'm 44 years old and have really bad shoulders, I stuck with the squishy fork and bought some carbon bits.

If I were you I'd start with a used Redline Monocog Flight and mod it as you see fit and it fits in your budget.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Sette Razzo

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
    If I were you I'd start with a used Redline Monocog Flight and mod it as you see fit and it fits in your budget.
    I have a surly karate monkey so am considering adding a fork and getting some new wheels for it. The downside is the weight -- the bike is already about 30# rigid

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    I have a surly karate monkey so am considering adding a fork and getting some new wheels for it. The downside is the weight -- the bike is already about 30# rigid
    As a 1x8 HT I had my KM @ 26 pounds without going crazy. Juicy5 brakes, XT hubs laced to Sun EQ21 rims (about a 450g rim), 320 gram cassette. Pretty light crank and BB though.

As a rigid SS it weighs around 22 pounds with Crest rims, BB7s, XT cranks and a carbon fork. If you swap the carbon fork for a Reba, or Minute your still looking at under 25 pounds.

So if you like the KM, buy it pretty things.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've also thought about building from scratch but it seems like that would be significantly more $
    That one is a tough call. It depends on whether the bike you find is exactly what you want. If you end up upgrading some / all items on it over a short period of time then it is actually cheaper to build it the way you want the first time.

You can also buy a bike complete, then sell off the brand new components that you do not want to offset the upgrades.

For <$1.5k, I like the Cannondale Trail SL3 Single Speed. They can be found in size medium and x-large for a steal right not for the white 2011 year. It is rigid, but you'd have a lot of coin left to start upgrading items. Or if you don't like it, you are only into it for about $600 - 700.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post

So if you like the KM, buy it pretty things.
    Yep. This.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Sette Razzo

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Wanna post a build list on that? I'm sure you could get a lot of positive feedback on where to save some serious weight. My old Monocog 29er that the Misfit replaced was 26lbs. It didn't have a squishy fork but I also traded some car parts for it. I'm guessing that if I sunk some money into it I could have gotten it down to about 23-24lbs without a problem.

Edit: BTW, my Misfit is right around 24.5 lbs. It's an XL
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Sette Razzo

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    redline flight then use the extra budget money to buy a squishy fork , if you want one

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
    Wanna post a build list on that? I'm sure you could get a lot of positive feedback on where to save some serious weight. My old Monocog 29er that the Misfit replaced was 26lbs. It didn't have a squishy fork but I also traded some car parts for it. I'm guessing that if I sunk some money into it I could have gotten it down to about 23-24lbs without a problem.

Edit: BTW, my Misfit is right around 24.5 lbs. It's an XL
    I believe it's right around 30# but that's the weight on a bathroom scale.
    It's pretty much complete with some high volume heavy tires, and some Shimano M540 pedals. The build list is - Karate Monkey | Bikes | Surly Bikes

I wonder how much the stock wheels weigh. I've thought about either buying a wheelset or building a lightweight front wheel for it. I've never built a wheel before so it would be somewhat of an experiment. Also, I could save significant weight on the tires but I'd be gaining some weight switching from a rigid to suspension fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    20.5 lbs and built for $1200 ish

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Very nice Murph! Well done

How'd you build it for so cheap? How much were the wheels?

mtbr member
    Get a Kona Unit and put a Manitou Tower fork on it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Very nice Murph! Well done

How'd you build it for so cheap? How much were the wheels?
    thanks
    with the exception of the bars , stem and post i bought all the parts used . the frame is a 2009 flight that i put a fresh powder coat on . the wheels i bought from a friend for $475.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Lot's of bikes and even builds can be done for less than 1500. I'm building a 2012 Salsa El Mar hardtail (decent fork even) in that range right now with internet blow out parts.

Hopefully, you've tried and liked SSing as it is not for everyone and you might want to try it out on the cheap first if you have not yet tried. I learned to love SSing on 275 bike first and that bike is a lot more fun then the price would indicate. There's no way the 1500 Salsa is 5 times better! But it will be better for some trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I believe it's right around 30# but that's the weight on a bathroom scale.
    It's pretty much complete with some high volume heavy tires, and some Shimano M540 pedals. The build list is - Karate Monkey | Bikes | Surly Bikes

I wonder how much the stock wheels weigh. I've thought about either buying a wheelset or building a lightweight front wheel for it. I've never built a wheel before so it would be somewhat of an experiment. Also, I could save significant weight on the tires but I'd be gaining some weight switching from a rigid to suspension fork.
    Wheels, seat, bars, seat post and brakes would probably get you down to the 26lb range or pretty close I'd think. Maybe others have a better idea. IMO, when you start shaving below that it gets awful expensive. You may want to take off the stock fork and weigh it. I bet it's heavier than you think. You may not give up much going to a Reba.

Edit: Your fork is 2.6lbs. The Reba RL is 1584 grams or 3.49lbs.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Sette Razzo

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Hack View Post
    Lot's of bikes and even builds can be done for less than 1500. I'm building a 2012 Salsa El Mar hardtail (decent fork even) in that range right now with internet blow out parts.

Hopefully, you've tried and liked SSing as it is not for everyone and you might want to try it out on the cheap first if you have not yet tried. I learned to love SSing on 275 bike first and that bike is a lot more fun then the price would indicate. There's no way the 1500 Salsa is 5 times better! But it will be better for some trails.
    Yeah, I love SSing. I'm going to keep my eye out for blowout deals. What sort of deals did you get on the fork, wheels and brakes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah, I love SSing. I'm going to keep my eye out for blowout deals. What sort of deals did you get on the fork, wheels and brakes?
    Chainlove really helped with the fork and wheels. But I also have simple tastes and went with with Avid BB7s which cut costs. This route is a bit slow however.

talentless hack
    Cannondale Trail SL3 29er 3R is a good deal if you don't mind a rigid fork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus
    You can't stick candles in a cowpie and call it a birthday cake.