Got a suspension fork

SS Hardtails for kids w/ 20" wheels?

I'm hoping somebody may know of such a beast.

I can find boys mountain bikes with a 1xN setup, but I just want to keep it simple and get a single speed for my son. I know I know, I'll find it in a rigid, but it's rough and rocky out here and the suspension fork is a good thing.

This Trek is SS but is also rigid.

These would be nice but aren't SS.

20" Jamix X.20

20" KHS Raptor

Trek MT60
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

Teen Wolf
    without helping you search for one, you might end up having to convert to a ss from one of those choices. probably a tiny market for small singlespeeds that aren't BMX style bikes

Apr 2007
    Why limit it to 20" wheels? I've seen 8 year olds on 26" bikes pumping up hills with no problems. There are also many 24" mtb's available.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by p nut
    Why limit it to 20" wheels? I've seen 8 year olds on 26" bikes pumping up hills with no problems. There are also many 24" mtb's available.
    Purely a sizing issue.

mtbr member
    Stick him on a Dahon Boardwalk.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

one chain loop
    go bmx.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

master blaster
    most 20" suspension forks dont actually do anything. youd be better off getting him a bmx and putting the fattest tire up front with 30lbs and some oury grips on his bars.

or size him up on a bigger bike.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by veloreality
    most 20" suspension forks dont actually do anything. youd be better off getting him a bmx and putting the fattest tire up front with 30lbs and some oury grips on his bars.

or size him up on a bigger bike.
    Can't go any bigger than 20" - he's only 5 and not real big, but thanks for those tips. BMX may be the way to go.

one chain loop
    i think 20 is still big for 5yos, 14 and 16 wheels is wtg. he might be able to sit on a 20 but pedalling will be a chore, unless you use a shorter crank arms.

Apr 2007

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    i think 20 is still big for 5yos, 14 and 16 wheels is wtg. he might be able to sit on a 20 but pedalling will be a chore, unless you use a shorter crank arms.
    You're pretty close with that assessment, he has a 16" bike now and it still fits him pretty well. Admittedly I am looking a little bit ahead, wanting to find the right bike before I really need it.

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    You're pretty close with that assessment, he has a 16" bike now and it still fits him pretty well. Admittedly I am looking a little bit ahead, wanting to find the right bike before I really need it.
    i have a kid myself, and believe me those nuggets grow fast. it is tricky to size the kids and frame design makes a huge factor too. its like should i get an 18 or wait for him to grow more and get a 20? let him try few bikes and watch him pedal, you will see which is the right one for him. good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have two kids, 4 and 7 - both are on 16" bikes. I had to buy a longer seat tube for the 7 year old a month ago. They grow quick for sure. The most important thing for the kids is the weight of the bike. Their 16" bikes weigh more than my XC bike.

My plan is to hold on for a couple more months and then try and get the 7 year onto a 24".

I am looking at getting a SC Jackal frame, putting small cranks and 24" tyres on. The seat tube is only 13.4" long and the 7 year old is at this seat height now. The Jackal stand over is only 24.8 with 26" wheels. So with a couple more months, the 7 year old will be able to touch.

The benefit here is the bike is light, and very tough with super handling - perfect for trail, urban and bmx tracks if they want. Secondly, they can keep the frame for 10years because you can upgrade to 26" wheels later - well that's the plan.

There are a few more 24" mtb tyres around than 20" as well.

FWIW

Good luck - you are always going to pay with kids. I'll probably do this and they will stop wanting to ride and do knitting instead...

mtbr member
    Diamondback Viper Jr. has 20" wheels and fit my 5 yr old very well.
    Specialized HotRock may fit the bill for you as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/precaliber-ss

no squish fork but it is what I am leaning toward s with my 5yr who is ready to rip

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenpea
    http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/precaliber-ss

no squish fork but it is what I am leaning toward s with my 5yr who is ready to rip
    Looks nice.

one chain loop
    always dreamt that someday my kid will be into DH, then i will build him a rig from this frame:

http://www.krutor.cz/bikes/ouvinator/en.htm

I AM I AM
    I've got a 5yr old and a 7yr old (well the 5yr old is nearly 6 now and the 7yr old is 7.5ish).

Anyway the youngest is still on a 16" but she is pretty much almost as tall as the 7yr old! The thing is she could do with a bigger bike, like 20" but she lacks the confidence in riding a lot more than my son, well she only got of f her trainers last year.

The 7yr old we moved onto a proper BMX late last year. He got used to it pretty quick and we figured that should do him out until past the age of 10 (it's a 20.25" TT). Mind you I got myself a BMX after as well (20.75" TT) and he could ride that just as comfortably providing he could reach the brake lever (not adjustable inward like his one).

So if you want to get a good bike that fits maybe look at an 18" wheel BMX. If you don't mind going too big for now and your kids is a confident rider then you could consider going straight to a proper BMX but pick one with a shorter TT or one aimed at juniors (some bike shops will tell you BMXes are all the same size!).

In the meantime if your kid really isn't big enough for a bmx then just look for a good but cheap 16" or 18" kids bike as a gap filler until they're close to 7.

It also depends what you think their friends will be into, all the kids around my town seem to be into bmx, so even if my kid wants to get into mtb when older that's fine, nothing wrong with two different bikes at that stage. In the meantime I think kids mtb's with gears and suspension forks are generally heavy & relatively crappy so not really wroth it.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by ducktape
    In the meantime I think kids mtb's with gears and suspension forks are generally heavy & relatively crappy so not really wroth it.
    YES - sad but true, think how heavy those little bikes are to the kids relative to their body weight, it would probably be like us riding a 100 pound bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I went looking for the precaliber this last Saturday and had a helluva time finding anything. I went to 3 different Fisher bikes shops and all are switching to a different line because of the abundance of Trek dealers in the area. One shop had the girls version but I couldn't even get my boy to sit on the damn thing because of the pink stripe. I don't really know where to turn from here if I come up empty.

He ended up riding a redline bmx bike in 18" but I can see him out growing that thing in a hurry.

mtbr member
    Wound up getting a gently used Trek PreCaliber SS on Fleabay for $132 shipped for my 6 yr old. After giving it a quick lube on the cables, adjusting the brakes and doing a little truing on the rear wheel, my boy was ripping around on it. I can't believe how much lighter it is than his BMX. I'd definitely recommend one.