mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. SS gearing for Bay Area?

Hey fellas, what kinda gearing are you running when riding local trails in greater Bay Area?

Quicksilver, Skeggs, Santa Cruz, Henry Coe etc?

Running 26" wheels with 175mm cranks.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    32:16 worked perfect while I lived there
    Ride & Smile

openwound
    When I'm strong like Matt I can pull off 2:1. Most other days I'm at either 32:17 or 18. Climbing out of Skeggs (methusela?) can be a bit of a grind at 2:1, but I've done it...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks fellas....keep it comin'!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    32:16 - 32:18 dependent on your fitness/riding terrain/endurance. (on a 26" wheel)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My perfect gear for Skegg's and Tamarancho is 32/21 on a 29er. That's equivalent to a 32/19 on a 26. That might seem a little low to some, but it works great for trails with almost no sustained flat sections. I tried both a 20 and a 22 also - the 20 didn't allow me to accelerate out of corners as quickly as I would like and the 22 spun out just a little too quickly on the flattest trail at Skegg's (Sierra Morena).

mbtr member
    riding skeggs sucks with the SS. 32-18 worked for me, but i didn't enjoy it.
    SDF i was happy with 2-1, same with santa cruz, the only place i really preferred the SS.
    I didn't try riding SS at coe, those climbs suck with gears.

I put a full complement of gears (27!) on my SS and have been loving life. I just don't think SS makes sense in the bay area. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    +1 for a 32-18.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    riding skeggs sucks with the SS. 32-18 worked for me, but i didn't enjoy it.
    SDF i was happy with 2-1, same with santa cruz, the only place i really preferred the SS.
    I didn't try riding SS at coe, those climbs suck with gears.

I put a full complement of gears (27!) on my SS and have been loving life. I just don't think SS makes sense in the bay area. YMMV.
    My mileage does indeed vary. I think the Bay Area is perfect single speed riding.

If my single speed was out of commission and I had to ride my geared bike at Skeggs or Tamarancho, I would be bummed. Because Skeggs is my main riding area, my single speed sees all the love. Skeggs is perfect single speed terroritory - the flowy, twisty, single track of trails like Blue Blossom, Resolution, North Leaf, etc. However, I do like my full-suspension geared bike for Soquel because it allows me to hit the jumps harder and really fly on the rockier/bumpier sections. But if I could only have one bike, my single speed would be the one I'd keep.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    While I don't know what the terrain is like where you are, I will say that I do not believe in 2:1 or close gearing anymore. My frame is in for repairs after a 1 inch "tear" appeared in the seat tube above the bb, NOT on a weld. I've been riding 33/17 on 29er wheels. While you may spin out more easily on flats, I believe, as does the builder of my frame, that there's just too much tourque at or around 2:1 for a normal frame if ridden up tough hills with power. 32/18 sounds like a good gear for a 26er if you're dealing with "grind it up" hills. I'm moving to at least 33/18, maybe even a 19 and improving my high speed spinning for the flats.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Y'all'er monsters. I'm riding 34x22 as of today. Not great for flats or downhills, but pretty good in the dirt. Still hard enough for my East Bay rides for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I ride 34:20 and Skeggs is my main spot. It's been perfect for me so far. Good thing about Skeggs is that you are either going up or down...so I don't have issues with spinning out on the flats and the gearing is great for climbing.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    quicksilver, santa cruz - 32X16
    skeggs, henry coe* - 32X18

on a 26'er

if you don't like flip flopping your cog around a 32:17 worked well for me pretty much everywhere here....

* you'll walk parts of coe....srsly...
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I run 32x18 in the east bay and santa cruz mostly, haven't tried it at Skeggs or Demo but I imagine it would work alright. I'm not particularly strong and ride a 30lb 26er

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    32x18 (26" wheels and 175mm cranks) for world domination.

Well, for Bay Area anyway. East Bay, Marin, Annadelle, ECdM, I never bother to change it up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUM

on a 26'er

if you don't like flip flopping your cog around a 32:17 worked well for me pretty much everywhere here....
    exactly what I did. I went from 16 to 18 and just got tired of switching the two. So I'm running 32x17 and this works for most trails I ride.