The Brutally Handsome

SS Frame Size Up or Down?

For those of you that are somewhere between sizes, did you size up or down for SS?

For my last SS I sized down, which seemed to work well because most of the climbing was out of the saddle. I'm getting ready to buy my next SS and I'm wondering if I should go with tried and true or try something new. Thanks for any opinions!

mtbr member
    Hi SIzzler
    I normally ride a L (6.2) but went a XL carve SS and happy I did. Allows me to move around a bit more when I'm mashing!
    Cheers.

One Gear
    Seat post length usually limits me to only going up in size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If I'm standing a lot, I like more reach.

ask
    user
    My $0.02...

I am usually between a Lg and Med frame. My general rule of thumb is buy a smaller frame and stretch w/ components. However, I think it really depends on how you want your bike to feel and how/what you ride.

My last SS was a large 29er. It was technically the correct size for me, but always felt big on technical trails. On on my latest SS, I went with a slightly smaller Med frame. I kept a short stem and put a dropper post on it. For XC it might be a bit short... but I could always stretch a bit with a longer stem. It pedals great and handles tight singletrack/bumps/jumps well. It feels similar to my trail bike or my DJ, but w/ 29er wheels. Fun stuff!

mtbr member
    I am of the opinion that bike fit is pretty important and should be one of the first considerations in selecting a frame. It's not always possible to get a perfect fit from a stock frame but remember that brand x is not always going to have the same top tube length as brand y. Know your preferred seat height, handlebar reach and relative height and try to find a frame that lets you get in that position without resorting to wacky stem or seat post length modifications.

Warrior's Society
    I like the bigger frame for when I'm standing......and we all know on the SS you spend a lot of time standing.

Don't like too feel like the bars are underneath me on the smaller frame.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

The need for singlespeed
    My recent build ended up a little short in the top tube, which as mtnbikej indicates, left me feeling a tad crunched on the first few climbs. However, the bike immediately felt lighter in its dynamics, and being slightly more upright is easier on my lower back. Having gotten used to it's shortness I don't even notice it on climbs anymore. For me going small was all win.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think the bigger fit is better, it lets you put on a shorter stem and you can stand up without having your knees above the bars. Plus when you're seated on a downhill, you feel that much more "in" the bike.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    My $0.02...

I am usually between a Lg and Med frame. My general rule of thumb is buy a smaller frame and stretch w/ components. However, I think it really depends on how you want your bike to feel and how/what you ride.

My last SS was a large 29er. It was technically the correct size for me, but always felt big on technical trails. On on my latest SS, I went with a slightly smaller Med frame. I kept a short stem and put a dropper post on it. For XC it might be a bit short... but I could always stretch a bit with a longer stem. It pedals great and handles tight singletrack/bumps/jumps well. It feels similar to my trail bike or my DJ, but w/ 29er wheels. Fun stuff!
    +1 though it really depends on personal preference. My first SS was a GF Rig 19". At 6'2", I was on the tall side for it. Rode all over the place, occasional 40+ milers too and it was fine. I recently built a large SIR 9 rigid SS. Feels as though I have a bit more room but overall the ride is not dramatically different.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Bro Mountainbiker
    Find one that fits you MR. Sizzle Chest
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens