Thread: SS to DosS

mtbr member

SS to DosS

I am thinking about setting up my SS as a DosS, one speed for the city and one for the country. I wanted to inquire about any issues that have been encountered with running two chainrings up front and a WI Dos Eno in the rear. Can I use a bmx chain or do I need to get a 8,9,10 speed chain? I imagine the spacing for the chainrings to be larger than the Dos Eno freewheel, are there any issues with chainline, etc...? Please share the knowledge, thanks.
    No fuss with the MUSS

Developing Skillz
    So what you are doing is Dingle-speed?

Well maybe the best way to do it IMO is to use chaintensioner. (So you could just lift/push down the tensioner and lift the chain to the other gear. I heard it's best to use ratios that had same chain length. I have 34:18 for "road" and 32:20 for "mtb".
    I still always need an allen key with me to move the (wheel of the tensiones). What ever it's called. My chain is 1/8". Easyest would definitely be to do it with regular mtb cassettehub. It's also great if you later decide to use gears.

I will post bad photos from my phone when I get home from work.

mtbr member
    I recently switched to dingle. You could risk being limited by chain line if you are using a freewheel. I had to switch from a singlespeed cassette to a 9 speed to get the chainline right because my inner ring was too far in and my cranks were not adjustable for that.

As for the spacing, I would hope WI would have the same spacing. Can't speak for anything about it.

The other issue is your tension. Theoretically as long as you keep the same number of teeth, then the chain length is the same. But that's only theoretical because of lots of little variables. Your chainrings and cogs/freewheels are not going to be perfectly shaped and there's variation on flex on the stays when pedaling. So there will be minor variation, but usually not too bad although I have swinging dropouts so can tell there's a difference in my tension. If they were horizontal, then this would not really be an issue except for brake alignment.

I use a 28/18 and 32/14 set up on a 29er. The 28/18 works out to be the same as my 32/20 SS before while the high gear is great for getting to trailheads and gravel grinding.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the term dinglespeed. It must be an interesting story as to how dingle came to describe the setup. The bike is a Bianchi MUSS which has horizontal dropouts and a surly hub. I am trying to decide if I should go for the Dos Eno or the single gear. Currently I am rolling along with a 33/16 ratio, which is good for the city but sometimes a little tough on the off road hills. I would move to 34/17:32/19 if I go for the Dos to keep the chain length the same. Current wheels are 650b. I would also hope that I wouldn't need to adjust the bb7s. My ideal would be to slide the wheel forward enough to switch the chain over, pull it taught and affix the chaintensioners, tighten the nuts and away I go.
    The MUSS is a true single speed, so no derailleur hanger for a tensioner. I can see the benefit for standard dropouts, one wouldn't have to remove the wheel to switch between gear options. Also, you wouldn't have to obsess about finding the magic ratio. Thanks for info on the chain, I would prefer to use the beefier chain.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Dual+Single=Dingle

OK, I get it.
    No fuss with the MUSS

Developing Skillz
    Here's my setup:

Inner cog/chainring is mtb ratio. Outer road ratio.
    SS to DosS-2013-03-26-17.56.04.jpg

SS to DosS-2013-03-26-16.58.09.jpg

SS to DosS-2013-03-26-16.57.55.jpg

That means I never use mix/cross ratio, it would not have any benefits.

I hope this is helpful.

Developing Skillz
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    I use a 28/18 and 32/14 set up on a 29er. The 28/18 works out to be the same as my 32/20 SS before while the high gear is great for getting to trailheads and gravel grinding.
    Intresting choice of ratios.. As I mensiont before I have the 32:20 34:18. The 28/18 is at 1,55 only slightly lighter than 32:20 at 1,6, but 32/14 alot bigger ratio at 2,2 than 34/18 at 1,8.

I think 32/20 is just right in the techy woods. (32/18 being too heavy) but for commuting/road 34/18 is quite light.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pics KK89, most helpful. I may just have to try it out and see if any issues arise. I won't be switching to a 9 spd hub so I'll have to go into the LBS and see if they stock the Dos Eno and look at the spacing.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    May 2011
    KK89- Do you need to make and adjustent to the tensioner to keep it centered with each of the 2 chainlines or can you just set between the two and leave it alone?

I have a DIY dinglespeed, rigged up with an old suntour 5-speed freewheel that I reduced to 2 speeds. The freewheel body is only 25mm wide so not much wider than a singlespeed FW body and with an old threaded road hub this allows for short unsupported axel overhang on drive side and for getting the hub flanges nicely centered for a strong wheel. Should be entirely possible to also make a three gear ratio drivetrain by using a tripple crank and freewheel configured for 3-cogs.

I currently have this setup on a old MTB with horizontal dropouts and no tensioner. Hassle is needing to loosten the wheel to get enough chain slack for changes and then re-center the wheel and set chain tension when done. Thus, finding a tensioner that could work over both chainlines would be nice so I dont need to loosten the wheel for changes.

Developing Skillz
    Unfortunately I have to carry 4mm allenkey to adjust the tensoner. :P Though I'm looking for a solution to leave the allenkey home. Something like having two tensonersprockets (or what ever it's called) side by side or changing the original screw to this kind of screw -->SS to DosS-87-0028_l.jpg

Though it isn't a big deal changing the gear like I do now.. takes less than a minute. (30sec maybe)

I've also thougt of going for 1x9/10 but then I'd have something to maintenance again and it can break also. With gears I also have a bad habbit to get lazy on acsents and lower the gear even if I really didn't need to.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hi,

I run a dingle on my SS roadie. Campy 48/45 and DOS ENO 16/19. If you run a dingle, you should try to buy their wider gear range (16/19) and not their standard 16/18, 17/19. The one extra tooth makes a lot of difference.

Regaring the wheel position staying the same. On my road bike, it has fork ends, and the different gears are *almost* the same. Its not a big deal because I run rim brakes and have enough play. Not sure if that will work with discs.

ENO Freewheels use 8SP chains as far as I know, and have used them with good success for years. (but that is a road bike). I can't say where I heard it, but beefy KMC SS chains are not any stronger... but remember you still have to run a dual ring setup up front and unless you want to run dual 1/8" rings, I see no reason why you can't just go with a standard 8/9sp chain. Not sure you can run an inside 1/8" ring and a 1/8" chain and clear the outside chainring without rubbing.... you may want to check.

LMK if you need pics of my setup or me to measure my FW.

Bro Mountainbiker
    You know what sounds DOPE as F? A hammerschmidt on a "hardcore hardtail".

One gear for climbing, one for descending. I hear you dont even have to let up on the pedals when shifting.

Just rambling here...

Used to run a standard dingle when commuting and riding singletrack on the same bike. It was cool, but kind of a pain in the arse.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Developing Skillz
    "You know what sounds DOPE as F? A hammerschmidt on a "hardcore hardtail"."

..and it's also nice to pay for it the same amount you've used on your entire bike.

Cannot say anything about those dinglespeed cogs that are attached.. but I have two separate cogs back and I don't have any chain rubbing issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    You also only have a choice of two low gears instead of the probably desired hi/lo

mtbr member
    Hi,
    I run a dingle on my SS roadie. Campy 48/45 and DOS ENO 16/19. If you run a dingle, you should try to buy their wider gear range (16/19) and not their standard 16/18, 17/19. The one extra tooth makes a lot of difference.

I will look into this.

Regarding the wheel position staying the same. On my road bike, it has fork ends, and the different gears are *almost* the same. It's not a big deal because I run rim brakes and have enough play. Not sure if that will work with discs.

I was hoping that I wouldn't have to readjust the caliper, but I'm making the assumption that the hub/disc will be in the same place regardless of gear ratio.

ENO Freewheels use 8SP chains as far as I know, and have used them with good success for years. (but that is a road bike). I can't say where I heard it, but beefy KMC SS chains are not any stronger... but remember you still have to run a dual ring setup up front and unless you want to run dual 1/8" rings, I see no reason why you can't just go with a standard 8/9sp chain. Not sure you can run an inside 1/8" ring and a 1/8" chain and clear the outside chainring without rubbing.... you may want to check.

This is what I am most concerned about, whether or not the chain will rub on the bigger chainring or on the bigger cog when on the smaller counterpart. With tension on the chain it probably won't pop off, but smoother is nicer. I'll look into the 8spd chain as well.

LMK if you need pics of my setup or me to measure my FW.

Yes please, I would like to know if the spacing between the chainrings is the same spacing between the Dos Eno cogs.

Thanks for the info.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    You know what sounds DOPE as F? A hammerschmidt on a "hardcore hardtail".

One gear for climbing, one for descending. I hear you dont even have to let up on the pedals when shifting.

Just rambling here...

Used to run a standard dingle when commuting and riding singletrack on the same bike. It was cool, but kind of a pain in the arse.
    Why is hardcore hardtail in quotes? The hammerschmidt does seem like a nice piece of equipment, but the price is is not worth it imo. I also don't have braze-ons for the cable nor do I want to add a shifter to my hbar. I have a multigear mtb for that. Finally, I'm looking for cool but without the pain. Thanks for the opinion.
    Last edited by dbhammercycle; 06-04-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: whoops wrong grammer term, typing too fast
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Hi,
    I was hoping that I wouldn't have to readjust the caliper, but I'm making the assumption that the hub/disc will be in the same place regardless of gear ratio.

ENO Freewheels use 8SP chains as far as I know.....

This is what I am most concerned about, whether or not the chain will rub on the bigger chainring or on the bigger cog when on the smaller counterpart. With tension on the chain it probably won't pop off, but smoother is nicer. I'll look into the 8spd chain as well.

Yes please, I would like to know if the spacing between the chainrings is the same spacing between the Dos Eno cogs.
    I checked the WI site and they specify a 8SP chain. You can use the SS 1/8" chain.... but its noisier. I would just go with an 8SP and then you can ignore fitment issues with the wider chain.

For the wheel position, I am talking about maybe a 1-2mm shift in wheel position. So probably not a big deal.

I will try to snap some pics later this week and post.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    On my DIY dingle-freewheel setup, I have 32/38 chainrings up front and 28/22 cogs on the freewheel. Enough range to give a low hillclimb/crawling gear and also a decent flatland gear.
    Next iteration, I would like to order a 29t granny gear and a 36t for the triple cranks to have 29/32/36 chainrings and use together with 26/23/19 cogs on the back.
    I do want to rig-up a spring loaded chain tensioner first that can work across all three chainlines so that ratio changes can be made in 10 seconds instead of 30 seconds needed to fiddle with releasing & resetting hub.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayJay View Post
    On my DIY dingle-freewheel setup, I have 32/38 chainrings up front and 28/22 cogs on the freewheel. Enough range to give a low hillclimb/crawling gear and also a decent flatland gear.
    Next iteration, I would like to order a 29t granny gear and a 36t for the triple cranks to have 29/32/36 chainrings and use together with 26/23/19 cogs on the back.
    I do want to rig-up a spring loaded chain tensioner first that can work across all three chainlines so that ratio changes can be made in 10 seconds instead of 30 seconds needed to fiddle with releasing & resetting hub.
    The next logical step would be to connect a cable of sorts to actuate the chain tensioner so you don't have to dismount to swap gears...................

Developing Skillz

Another way to do it..

This is quite nice way to do it.. not beauty or silent and you can't run 1/8 chain.. but here it is.

Tool-free dingle/dual speed setup - Pinkbike Forum

It's tool free system to change ratio.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KK89 View Post
    This is quite nice way to do it.. not beauty or silent and you can't run 1/8 chain.. but here it is.

Tool-free dingle/dual speed setup - Pinkbike Forum

It's tool free system to change ratio.
    Looks neat, but I don't have a derailleur hanger on the MUSS. I wonder if a singleator could be adapted for this purpose. It would be nice to have one that could be adjusted with a thumb screw instead of an allen wrench. One could easily replace the set screw with a longer thumb screw I would guess.
    No fuss with the MUSS

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Why is hardcore hardtail in quotes? The hammerschmidt does seem like a nice piece of equipment, but the price is is not worth it imo. I also don't have braze-ons for the cable nor do I want to add a shifter to my hbar. I have a multigear mtb for that. Finally, I'm looking for cool but without the pain. Thanks for the opinion.
    Its a term for a long travel hardtail. Any hardtail can be hardcore, but not any hardtail can be a "hardcore hardtail".

I personally ride gears and SS. The main perk for SS for me is a quiet chain and drivetrain. The hammerschmit would be low maintenance and quiet! But it has its drawbacks. Heavy, expensive, and noticeable drag in overdrive ratio.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens