Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SS Dics brakes?

753 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  xrmattaz 
#1 · (Edited)
SS Disc brakes?

I'd post this in "brake time", but that is like a foreign land to me.....this is home.

Time to buy some new discs, converting the Vulture back to SS from fixie. Wondering about the new '06 Avid BB7's. Any experience yet? Inboard AND outboard adjustment dials seem a good idea.

So......same price 160's and 185's, which to run? How does one run bigger discs on the same frame? I'd imagine Avid includes the necessary adaptors?

I already have a 160mm BB7 on the front, so go with the new one on the back, or just plunk down sixty bucks for a BB5 that my LBS has on the shelf collecting dust? I read where Shiggy mentioned possible trouble finding replacement pads for the BB5, is this a real issue?

Vulture has no Vbrake studs, or a Mullet would be in the picture!

Thanks folks, I'm a discy neophyte.

#2 ·
I have the '06 BB7

They seem to work well, but the pads squeaked BAD and the LBS yanked em and gave me a set of azteks immediately...no probs.

better than '05s? not sure i never had any, but the wrench at the LBS didnt seem to goo or gaa much about them, he seemed to think they were good no BS brakes (like the 05s were).

get what you want...I think the 160s work great even on my 29er, but my hills are not very long. The added weight of larger rotors doesnt bother me as much as messing with what i have that already works well.

ken

#6 ·
Thanks!

I'll just spring for the BB5 today, rather than waiting on another BB7 for the rear.

I've not yet ridden El' Vulture as a SS, but picking up new rear wheel and brake in an hour....should be a fun afternoon! After almost two months of "non-riding" following a back injury, I feel like a kid again.

#7 ·
Offer them $50.00 cash

xrmattaz said:
I'll just spring for the BB5 today, rather than waiting on another BB7 for the rear.

I've not yet ridden El' Vulture as a SS, but picking up new rear wheel and brake in an hour....should be a fun afternoon! After almost two months of "non-riding" following a back injury, I feel like a kid again.
If it's collecting dust, they might just take it. Bring $60 :D

#9 ·
i ended up turfing the bb5 b/c i was spoiled by the dual pad adjustment of the bb7's. if you can live with single side and cable adjustments you will be golden...i am mucho lazy.

is it me or has avid gone cheapo on the 06 rotors??? maybe it is just the last batch i got but the rotors look like they came from the dollar store...

#12 ·
Then pony up the $60.00

xrmattaz said:
My LBS is also one of my good friends and riding partners....he'd give it to me free for the asking!

Support the good LBS's before they're all GONE!
Take care of those who take care of us. Still a great deal.

#13 ·
The Vulture conversion is complete, as well as the 1X1 fixie project.

Avid BB5 was a fairly easy install, and no rubs once I banged my Blue Dawn cleaned wrist against the rotor in a few tasty spots. Stopping power is on par with the BB7 front. Avid Ti "Copper" levers.

New rear wheel on the Vulture consists of a hand built (thanks Ed!) Salsa Semi/Real disc hub with silver and black aluminium spacers and a DX cog.....which will be replaced by a King Kog in a week or so. DT 15/14's ('natch) and brass nipplies. My local buddy Ed builds a VERY mean wheel. WTB Mutano 2.24".

Surly got the Salsa Semi/Surly true fixie hub setup with the 2.5" Fire DH tires. EAI 18 tooth cog on the fixie side/DuraAce 16 tooth on the other.

Merry Christmas and happy spinning to all! Fezless Naveldad as Rudi would (and did) say!

Call_me_Clyde said:
Take care of those who take care of us. Still a great deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.