mtbr member
    Jan 2004

SS cyclocross drivetrain?

I am building an On One Il Pompino singlespeed cyclocross bike. I have a Truvativ Stylo singlespeed crankset - what is the max size chainring I can use? I think it is a standard 4-bolt 104mm BCD, but I am not sure. I have seen rings from a few brands at bikeman.com but I think most are ramped and pinned. Any recommendations on drivetrain gear ratio for a SS cross bike for road and trails?

Also, does anyone have experience with using a Gussett spacer kit or just normal spacers and a cog on a standard wheel? Any recos on cog type? BMX versus others? I can't afford a ss wheel and have found some good deals on standard cassette wheels. My frame has 135mm spacing but I am considering a standard 130mm wheel and adding spacers and a longer axles - anyone have experience or issues with this?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Gearing...

alot of people run 42x17 and 42x18...depending on what or where, I run anything from a 34x13 to a 34x16.

By the way there's a thread on the CX page at roadbikereview regarding this recently.

Bikes not Bombs.....

SS CX gear ratios.....

I run a 44x18 on the flatter stuff and switch to a 22T in back when faced with hills. I use two different chains, so the switch takes only a few minutes in the garage, depending on what type of riding I will be doing that day.

JS
    [SIZE=2]Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... [/SIZE] -

rejected
    use salsa standard rings. cheap, and have no ramps or pins. that means it's good for single chainring setups, or SS.
    look for the standard salsa rings, not the pro rings

they have 48t, 46t, 44t, 44t for outer rings.

http://www.bikemannetwork.com/Mercha...COMPCR104SALSA

the bikeman is really cool

"Mr. Britannica"
    Yes, have used a Gussett, no problems, but you've got alot going on (130 wheel on 135-spaced frame, etc.). You might want the more adjustment of your chainline that single spacers would afford.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain bike
    I am building an On One Il Pompino singlespeed cyclocross bike. I have a Truvativ Stylo singlespeed crankset - what is the max size chainring I can use? I think it is a standard 4-bolt 104mm BCD, but I am not sure. I have seen rings from a few brands at bikeman.com but I think most are ramped and pinned. Any recommendations on drivetrain gear ratio for a SS cross bike for road and trails?

Also, does anyone have experience with using a Gussett spacer kit or just normal spacers and a cog on a standard wheel? Any recos on cog type? BMX versus others? I can't afford a ss wheel and have found some good deals on standard cassette wheels. My frame has 135mm spacing but I am considering a standard 130mm wheel and adding spacers and a longer axles - anyone have experience or issues with this?
    Thanks
    Post a pic when you're done. I'm considering this frame as well.

Recovering couch patato
    Out of shape, on the Heerlen Worldcup course during our nationals, 34-16 was just perfect, even better than gears. Course was really helpful though, everything up was unridable, every thing down either slow or short, everything fast, was with strong headwinds. Just the start sukked, of course. Next time there I'll go 34-15 or the like, hoping for better health.
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

(aka SS_MB-7)
    I've been racing 'cross SS for a couple of years and I've found that 42x18 works best for me. If I'm going to be on the roads more, then I'll swap the gearing to 48x18. I think the max you'll find for a 4-bolt 104mm BCD is a 44T. I'm using a Dura-Ace road crankset.

Also, does anyone have experience with using a Gussett spacer kit or just normal spacers and a cog on a standard wheel?
    No experience with the Gussett kit, but I've used normal cassette spacers without any issues. Using cassette spacers, as opposed to a the Gussett kit, will allow you to fine tune the rear cog placement to get perfect front/rear chainline. The Gussett kit places the cog in the middle of the cassette, which may or may not be OK for your drivetrain.

Any recos on cog type? BMX versus others? I can't afford a ss wheel and have found some good deals on standard cassette wheels. My frame has 135mm spacing but I am considering a standard 130mm wheel and adding spacers and a longer axles - anyone have experience or issues with this?
    Thanks
    On my first SS MTB, I used my rear Hope Bulb disc rear wheel, a Shimano BMX cog and some cassette spacers....worked great! Once I knew I was hooked, I committed to a SS wheel.

The Shimano BMX cog is a great, cheap alternative to King Kogs. The Shimano cog has no ramps, pins, etc. and have longer teeth so there is less likelihood of dropping.

But, the cogs are thin so you risk damaging the cassette body due to the torque applied to the cog which can tear the splines on the body, in particular, soft aluminum bodies. I rode for ~6 months and never had an issue with my Hope Bulb cassette, but others have had issues.

Your best bet would be the King Kog, in aluminum or steel. The Kog has a much wider base to properly distribute the stresses over a wider area.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Any recommendations on drivetrain gear ratio for a SS cross bike for road and trails?
    I run 42:20 and like it, but I'm not really a "competitive" racer...I do it more for fun. It works well on the courses here in Michigan IMO.

Craig
    * Soulcraft Plowboy SS/fixxie
    * Steelman Eurocross 525 fixxie/SS
    * Custom-built Haro BMX tandem for the kids