Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2010

SS Crankset Selection for Newbs.

I'm new to the SS game.

Picked up a Salsa El Mariachi SS, which I've been greatly enjoying. A bit o' weight reduction would be desirable, and yes, I'm looking at all of the standard options.

Once intriguing option is the crankset. My Salsa has an OEM Truvativ 32T SS crankset. It looks like a big 'ole boat anchor. I realize SS requires a sturdy crank...but I'm about 145#, and interested to drop some bike weight. I don't think I'm going to be challenging the strength of the crankset.

Standard GXP 73mm bottom bracket, english threaded.

What do I need to look for in a Crankset? Does it have to be SS Specific? If not, should I look for a double or triple? I'd like to run the 32T chainring and a bashguard (as I have now). What should I be in the market for?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I would be looking for a current or even two generations old xt crankset. They have 4 arm 104 bcd that work with just about any chainring size. You might need a different bb if you go shimano but they are really cheap

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrock450 View Post
    I would be looking for a current or even two generations old xt crankset. They have 4 arm 104 bcd that work with just about any chainring size. You might need a different bb if you go shimano but they are really cheap
    I'm looking for weight reductions...is XT the way to go?

Will both a double or a triple work?

mtbr member
    Most 2x cranksets can be run as single speed also.

That crankset looks like the one that comes stock on karate monkeys - not sure its terribly heavy but it definitely didn't seem to have the stiffest arms. I'm sure you could save some weight getting a higher end one, but I'm not sure it'd be your most efficient option in terms of grams per dollar. If weight savings is the goal you will probably want a spiderless set like White Industries' ENO, though bashguard options for a spiderless crank might be limited and you wouldn't be able to use your existing chainring.

I went from a crank similar to yours if not identical to e13's singlespeed offering (e*thirteen components). It doesn't include a chainring, but it uses a 104 bcd spider so you can put your existing ring/bashguard on. I didn't notice a ton of weight savings but I wasn't really looking for it - I did notice much better stiffness in the axle and the arms, but I outweigh you by a good 80 lbs so YMMV. Its definitely a quality part, and comes in a lot cheaper than the higher end offerings (about the same price as an XT double crankset, maybe a little less). The only real beef I have with it is a proprietary bottom bracket, but once you've got the BB installed you can use any BB30 bearing (like these: Universal Cycles -- Enduro BB30 Bearing Kit) if you have the tool to remove the bearings from the cups. I was expecting these bearings to be fried pretty quickly because of the large inner diameter but they've held up surprisingly well for me.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    You should figure out what the one you have now weighs and go from there, you can't make a fair comparison if you don't know what you have now. Some Truvativ's are pretty nice.

I would check on the wheel weight also.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Used m970 xtr!
    104 bcd rings which are standard.
    The older and newer models used proprietary rings.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    SLX w/o rings is the same weight as the XT w/o rings for way less cash. My budget crankset of choice.
    Signature

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Used m970 xtr!
    104 bcd rings which are standard.
    The older and newer models used proprietary rings.
    Does it have to be a double, or will a triple work?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I recently switched from an earlier version of the same Truvativ crankset that you have to a SRAM X.0 with a MRP Bling Ring. I didn't weigh them, but the X.0 seems a LOT lighter. Obviously you wouldn't be able to use the same ring with this setup.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    All m970s are triples unless they have been converted to a double by a previous owner. (replacing big ring with bash or just removing small ring)

They work awesome for SS or 1x use. I have one on my bandersnatch.

When purchasing, try to find one that comes with the crankset removal tool. Its a proprietary tool that is kind of expensive. Mine did not come with the tool and now I am putting off buying it

The shimano version is like $60 or so, but there is a knock off version on Ebay for about $25.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Yep, its hard to beat the value of a SLX. If you are shifting, you may want the higher quality rings of the XT or XTR though.

Personally, I prefer my parts to say XTR on the side. Im pretty shallow.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    SLX w/o rings is the same weight as the XT w/o rings for way less cash. My budget crankset of choice.
    SLX arms are hollowtech just like its more expensive top of the line XT and XTR cranksets, the difference in the groups is in the chainrings rings which you will be discarding. Get the triple and run your single 104bcd ring of choice in the middle position.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lawfarm View Post
    I have a M970 triple set up as a single. If you can find a smokin deal on it, this is a great option. If you're looking for a cheap and reasonably light crankset, SLX is really tough to beat. As said above, it's basically the same as the XT, save for cosmetics. The additional weight of the SLX comes from rings and bolts, both of which you'll be replacing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just went to an AKA crankset from a similar OEM setup and the AKAs were 30 grams heavier with bash. Eventually I'm going to a bling ring, which will reduce the weight.

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Another vote for the SLX crankset. Sell the ramped rings and buy yourself a high-quality SS ring with the proceeds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Used - XTR 970. The 104 BCD will accept basically any aftermarket chainring.
    New - XX1 from Sram. Amazing price at $285 retail for a superlight carbon crankset. You can use the XX1 chainring with a regular 9 or 10 speed chain on a ss. Or there are several spiderless chainrings available aftermarket. MRP bling ring is the easiest to get. HBC is a forever wait, but really nice.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    imo slx is the best value, i went for race face turbines 3x9, which are a little lighter,and am happy. most of my friends have gone to middleburns very light and love them.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Well, I am going to vote for SAINT, so weight savings is out the door in favor of durability again. Took SAINT from SIR 9 to ONE 9, so I saved weight in the frame. I like the Shimano btm bracket, and the SAINT just looks awesome on my bike. I never worry about failure when I am in the woods.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Ended up getting a smokin' deal on a White Industries Eno crank with bashguard, Ti Phil Wood BB, etc.

Thanks for the thoughts!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just picked up a set of SLX. I like the look of the XT, but they were almost $100 more.

Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Im using a XO crank with a bling ring and it is stupid light
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    And stiff as hell.

Stiffer than my SLX cranks and I'm nearly 200#s
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Mine should be here tomorrow from Jenson. Still need a BB.

mtbr member
    I have 970 XTR on my 1x10 and LX on my single speed. If I was spending the money today, I would XX1 cranks. I don't think they can beat for the price.
    The Good Times are Killing me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast