mtbr member
    Apr 2009

SS crankset alternatives

I am looking for light weight and strong crank arms and BB for my Salsa Selma SS. I recenlty purchased a Deore XT M770 Hollowtech II crankset which I plan on taking apart to use crank arms and BB with Surly chainring and cogs.

I don't know the actual weight of the M770 crank arms and BB as it is sold as an intergrated crankset with chainring and everything (850 gms total crankset weight). Before I take it apart, I would like to know if anyone has converted the M770 Hollowtech into SS and if so, what is the weight of the arms and BB. Is this a light and strong alternative OR should I look into something else? Does is perform well with a SS setup?

FYI, the Salsa Selma frame comes with Bushnell Eccentric BB. In case there are other alternatives, my budget is <$300 for both arms and BB.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm running Middleburn RS7s with a DH chainring - They use an ISIS BB, but the whole set up's pretty light (and SWEET looking).

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/K...x?ModelID=3344

mtbr member
    May 2009
    just ride it. the only time a couple hundred grams is really going to matter is in rotational weight- wheels, tires, tubes, brake discs. outside of that- take a good dump before you ride and it will be just the same.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpnzx3
    just ride it. the only time a couple hundred grams is really going to matter is in rotational weight- wheels, tires, tubes, brake discs. outside of that- take a good dump before you ride and it will be just the same.
    That attitude really annoy me. Have you ridden a really light bike? It's a lot of fun. Do you know how you get a really light bike? By sweating every single part on it.

Losing a pound off your bike is much, much more noticeable than losing a pound off your body.

To the OP, the XT crank is very stiff and will last forever. However, they're not the lightest things. If your budget is under $300, and you want something lighter, then look at a used XTR on eBay. You'll drop about 100g with it.

The weak link with the XT are the bearings. Once they go bad on you the first time, replace them with Enduro bearings and not worry about it again. Also, be sure to have you bottom bracket shell faced before installing it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Niner Bio-Centric?

FYI, the Salsa Selma frame comes with Bushnell Eccentric BB. In case there are other alternatives
    Here's something to look into. The Niner Bio-Centric may be lighter than the Bushnell as it has fewer moving parts and such and it's not a very expensive upgrade I don't think. Anyone know if they are compatible with the Selma?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks man. Here are the current specs of my bike, I have almost everything. My goal is to build something light but durable. Currently siting at 21.5lbs (estimated). The Selma F and BB is heavy at 4.10 lbs. Anyways, I think I can drop some weight on the cranks and pedals. What do you think about my build? Any suggestions? any light chain recomendations?

Salsa Selma Frame, ZTR Arch/Hope Pro II/DT Swiss Comp Wheelset, Salsa Ti skewers, Surly chainring and cogs, Reba SL, Cane Creek 110, Maxxis Crossmark tires, EC90 flat bar, EA90 stem, Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow Ti316, Avid Juicy Ultimates, Thomson Masterpeice, Deore XT cranks, PM-M540 pedals

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Sounds like a nice setup..........post some pics of Salsa when you get a chance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    For a chain just go with a SRAM PC-870; it's cheap, durable, and light.

Drop the Shimano pedals and go with CB EB Ti pedals to drop 120g (over 1/4 pound).

It looks like a nice, durable build. Personally, I prefer a wider handlebar.

mtbr member

If I may...

I know this one has ended, but contact the seller. I bought a SS Aerozine with a Ti 32t for under $300.

http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=160340246403

Johnnydrz

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by juliofbaez
    Currently siting at 21.5lbs (estimated).
    Estimated? Is that pre-build with a spread sheet? or are you lifting your bike with your arm and guessing...

Your wheelset isn't the lightest build. You say you're trying to build a durable bike, well that's the right wheelset, but then you say you're eye is on 21.5 lbs with suspension. I think that might take a different wheelset. Are you planning on going tubeless?

I don't know why you would go with a steel chainring if you're trying to build a sub 22lb bike. Sure I might put a steel chainring on my commuter that sees tons of miles and careless treatment. On anything I ride for fun, especially if I had weight in mind, I would probably stick with aluminum up front.

As for the saddle, I liked the Flite, so I tried the SLR XC, which is some 90g lighter, and I actually liked it better.

Last, for your pedals, I know someone else pointed it out, but even switching to the relatively inexpensive crank brothers egg beater SLs will net you nearly 100g. Plus they are considered the "durable workhorse" model.

If I wanted to shed weight, I'd buy a carbon fork, but that's just me.

mtbr member
    [quote=Johnnydrz]I know this one has ended, but contact the seller. I bought a SS Aerozine with a Ti 32t for under $300.

http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=160340246403

Johnnydrz[/quote

I'm curious, how is the Aerozine crank arms and coated ti ring working for you? What's the rest of your SS set up and I'd like to see a pic if possible.

crazy8

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So I have a spreadsheet, but I do not have a scale so I have to go with manufacturer suggested weight for now (hopefully I am not that off). I am hopping bolts and nuts weight (probably not included in manufacturer suggested weight) cancels out with the weight that will come off from cutting Fork and perhpas seapost. Take a look and let me know what you all think. Goal is 21.5lbs, still 1/4 lbs off. I think there is room on the chain and perhpas cranks?

Rigid fork - I will purchase it later for some long distance road biking.

tubeless tires - I wish but I leave my bike all day long seating on my car 100+ degrees F so tubeless material may melt.

steel chainring and cogs - I plan on using this bike as my workhorse so I need it to be strong, between MTB and road bike this bike may see 50-150miles per week (and yes I may need to purchase slick tires, any recomendations?)

FRAME - Selma with EBB and Salsa lip-lock - 4.10lbs
    WHEELSET - Stans' ZTR arches/Hope Pro II/DT Swiss Comp spokes - 4.13lbs
    SKEWERS - Salsa Flip-off Ti - 0.19lbs
    COGS - Surly 14 and 17 - 0.12lbs
    TUBES - Maxxis Welter Weight - 0.49lbs
    CHAIN RING - Surly 32 - 0.15lbs
    PEDALS- Egg beather SL - 0.59lbs
    FORK - Rock Shox Reba SL 2009 - 3.75lbs
    HEADSET - Cane Creek 110 Classic Headset 1 1/8 - 0.27lbs
    GRIPS - Lizard Skins Peaty Lock-On Grips - 0.25lbs
    CHAIN - SRAM PC-870 - 0.69lbs
    TIRES - Maxxis Crossmark Kevlar 29er - 2.73lbs
    HANDLEBAR - EC90 XC - 0.26lbs
    SADDLE - Selle Italia Flite Gel Flow Ti316 - 0.49lbs
    CRANKS & BB- 2009 Shimano Deore XT M770 Hollowtech II - 1.43lbs
    STEM - EA90 - 0.25lbs
    BREAKSET - 09 Avid Juicy Ultimate - 1.47lbs
    SEATPOST - Thomson Masterpiece - 0.38lbs
    TOTAL - 21.74lbs

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Do yourself a favor and buy a cheap scale off eBay. It'll make everything easier, and you be better able to accurately monitor your bikes weight. Also, it's best to calculate things in grams instead of pounds since it's a more precise measurement and it'll be harder for margins of error to compound.

Have you purchased these parts yet? If not, you could lose half a pound by going with a '09 SID over the Reba.

mtbr member
    most sporting goods stores will sell a fish scale for about 20 that works great on a bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_America1976
    most sporting goods stores will sell a fish scale for about 20 that works great on a bike.
    A fish scale is perfect for weighing the entire bike, but it's not fine enough to measure individual components. For that you want a kitchen scale with gram resolution.