mtbr member
    Aug 2007

SS Cranks & Chainline

I'm having all kinds of trouble keeping my chain from being thrown off. Basically my sc chameleon chain stays are preventing alignment with the wi eno standard hub. The rear wi eno hub is spaced at 47.5mm and the wi eno cranks are spaced as close the chain stay as possible but that is not close enough. According to the sheldon brown website a shimano triple crankset middle ring could be used to attain the 47.5 spacing? is that true with the bb installed on my sc chameleon? my other option is to buy a new bottom bracket and and build a new wheel with more traditional 52mm spacing to get the chainline right. These are the options I have come up with, are they valid? is there a better way?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    what do you mean by "as close to the chainstay as possible"? If the chainring is about to hit the chainstay, you are kinda SOL. Time to respace/redish your wheel, or swap out the hub.

alternatively, did you try spacers behind your freewheel? How many mm of difference are we talking about here?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sunset1123
    what do you mean by "as close to the chainstay as possible"? If the chainring is about to hit the chainstay, you are kinda SOL. Time to respace/redish your wheel, or swap out the hub.

alternatively, did you try spacers behind your freewheel? How many mm of difference are we talking about here?
    by as close to the chainstay as possible, i am really talking about the crank arm. under heavy load, the cranks will flex and even slightly rub the chain stays. i cant bring the cranks any farther inward. if I build the wheel up with a different hub i would also need to buy a new bottom bracket and space it accordingly. if using the middle ring of a shimano triple crankset would get me the 47.5mm spacing that would be a much cheaper option.

my hub is the bmx treaded style, do you have a link for the freewheel spacer?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You should be able to replace or respace your bottom bracket for a 50mm chainline, and put one or two of these

http://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...p?id=BPC302074

behind the freewheel. Just make sure you have enough threads (4 or 5) holding it on. It may be okay for the freewheel to be slightly inboard of the chainring also... anytime I can get a chainline within 0.5mm, I usually err to the inside.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ok. So you have a WI hub, WI cranks, and a WI freewheel, correct? What bottom bracket spindle length do you have? If it's a 113 your chainline should be perfect. What is your actual front and rear chainline? Have you taken a ruler and measured it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Ok. So you have a WI hub, WI cranks, and a WI freewheel, correct? What bottom bracket spindle length do you have? If it's a 113 your chainline should be perfect. What is your actual front and rear chainline? Have you taken a ruler and measured it?
    Originally a 113 bb was installed but the crank arms would not clear the chain stays so I had to go with a longer bb. Not sure which length I ended up with, I'll run the measurements tonight.