I'm feeling dirty, you?

SS conversion for a screw-on cassette hub?

Is a screw-on cassette hub convertable to singlespeed?

I haven't worked on one before, so I'm not sure what I would get/see/damage when I attempted to remove the 'cassette'.
    I haven't seen anything on the SS FAQ so I need you guys help.

Of the Park Tool website the drive side looks not dissimilar to on of these...

surlysoul

Yes

The whole freewheel comes off and you will have threads that you can thread a bmx freewheel on. To get a decent chainline you will have to respace and redish the wheel and is often hard to keep proper spoke tension.

Here is a link to another way this way you don't have to mess with redishing the wheel

http://www.singlespeed.net/freeconvert.mv

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Quote Originally Posted by surlysoul
    The whole freewheel comes off and you will have threads that you can thread a bmx freewheel on. To get a decent chainline you will have to respace and redish the wheel and is often hard to keep proper spoke tension.

Here is a link to another way this way you don't have to mess with redishing the wheel

http://www.singlespeed.net/freeconvert.mv
    Mega thanks surlysoul for the great link. Should be on the FAQ.

Too bad the cogs on my cassette have a shifty profile, I'll give it a try anyway, and see whether I should look for a non-shifty cog.

Penis Goat!
    Quote Originally Posted by jonowee
    Too bad the cogs on my cassette have a shifty profile, I'll give it a try anyway, and see whether I should look for a non-shifty cog.
    Not cassette, but freewheel. Freewheels have the ratcheting mechanism built in, and thread into hubs. Cassettes are just a bunch of cogs sandwiched together that slide onto a freehub. Just syntax, but it's easier to get your point across when everyone's speaking the same language.

The other poster was right, though...just unscrew the sucker and thread on a Shimano DX freewheel or the like. You might have problems getting it off, I use a 3' long piece of metal pipe over a 10" crescent wrench to turn the freewheel remover. It's a little excessive, but it's easy.

meatier showers

As long as we're getting picky about semantics...

"Cassette" is a term that applies to freehubs.
    A "freewheel" may have one cog or several cogs, but the term implies it's threaded on.
    "Cluster" is the term for a multi-speed freewheel.

At least that's the way I understand it. Please correct me if I'm wrong (again).

--Sparty

Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    Not cassette, but freewheel. Freewheels have the ratcheting mechanism built in, and thread into hubs. Cassettes are just a bunch of cogs sandwiched together that slide onto a freehub. Just syntax, but it's easier to get your point across when everyone's speaking the same language.

The other poster was right, though...just unscrew the sucker and thread on a Shimano DX freewheel or the like. You might have problems getting it off, I use a 3' long piece of metal pipe over a 10" crescent wrench to turn the freewheel remover. It's a little excessive, but it's easy.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

newbie boobie.
    wait... aren't we all digital now? like .mp3 etc and cds?

hmmm.... cassettes are old school.
    It ain't easy being human.

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    I'll reemphased that I've never messed about with freewheels before but when I get to this part...

... do you know what kind of threading is on there?
    I'm wondering whether I can get a thick track cog to replace the ramped ones off the freewheel(I got it right this time).

Old Bikes Suck!
    thats it! i've done at least 50 single speed conversions on road bikes using that method. just remove all the cogs from the freewheel and re-install the one threaded one. its a pain in the a** removing the cogs but once you have that done you're good to go. the only downfall is that the freewheel hubs on the drive side have the bearings too far inboard which causes the axles to break often. hubs that use a freehub body have both bearings as far out towards the dropouts as possible making them much stronger.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [SIZE=2]
    VDUBBUSRIDER
    San Diego, CA
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]
    Keyesville Vintage Mountain bike race!
    http://www.ssfta.com/vintage-race.html
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [SIZE=3]Anybody selling a Cook Bros. mtn stem? How about a blue Chris King Theaded headset? [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubbusrider
    thats it! i've done at least 50 single speed conversions on road bikes using that method. just remove all the cogs from the freewheel and re-install the one threaded one. its a pain in the a** removing the cogs but once you have that done you're good to go. the only downfall is that the freewheel hubs on the drive side have the bearings too far inboard which causes the axles to break often. hubs that use a freehub body have both bearings as far out towards the dropouts as possible making them much stronger.

So are you saying that converting a freewheel using the above method is bad?

I'm feeling dirty, you?

Bump!

Come on guys... anyone know what threading is on there?

... or is it too model-specific?
    I know the freewheel is a Shimano MF-HG67 according to the markings.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jonowee
    Come on guys... anyone know what threading is on there?

... or is it too model-specific?
    I know the freewheel is a Shimano MF-HG67 according to the markings.
    That is very dependent on the make and model of the freewheel. It is not the same size as the hub threads so a track cog will not fit. Your chances of finding a larger thread-on cog is slim to none as they where not made over about 16-17t - even if you could still get one.
    The slide-on cogs are the bigger ones. Again finding one that fits and is not ramped or twist-tooth is unlikely.

Any FW will thread onto the hub.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Retro Grouch

Idea! Drew's adapter...

I've only seen these on ebay and there are none there now. They screw on the in place of the spin-on cassette and give you the proper spacing without redishing for a BMX freewheel. Good luck finding one, but they are out there

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tech
    Please let me know if anyone actually finds one of those adapters. I cant find one anywhere.