mtbr member
    Apr 2010

SS conversion product list???

Hi, I have a 2007 gary fisher x-caliber I want to convert to a singlespeed. I have no experience with bike maintence or building, but want to try to do this on my own.

What all do I need to purchase? and where's a good place to purchase from? Looking for cheap, but durable components.

Thanks to all who reply, you're helping a lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well, you're gonna need a single speed kit (rear cog, spacers, chain, tensioner). Surly, Nashbar, Origin8 have some kits. Personally, I got single parts that I needed rather than the kit (just personal preference).

If you're planning on doing this yourself, you'll need a few tools. Cassette lockring socket and chain breaker are a must. A chain whip may be come in handy, but I used locking pliers b/c I didn't care if I destroyed my already ruined cassette.

I bought some of my stuff from Tree Fort Bikes. They suck...bunch of morons. Jenson may be more expensive, but you'll get it fast and right.

If you've never worked on a bike before, you might get frustrated, but it will pay off in the end.

Good luck dude
    Specialized HardRock SS converted
    Kona CoilAir: FOR SALE http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...?product=48519

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krizzo
    Hi, I have a 2007 gary fisher x-caliber I want to convert to a singlespeed. I have no experience with bike maintence or building, but want to try to do this on my own.

What all do I need to purchase? and where's a good place to purchase from? Looking for cheap, but durable components.

Thanks to all who reply, you're helping a lot.
    Go to Sheldon Browns site, it will have all the info you need. He sure helped me out on my single speeds.

LET'S GO RIDE BIKES!
    I did the SS conversion on my Rockhopper with parts from pricepoint.com Great customer service and they're close to me so shipping was overnight for the price of ground. Cambria Bicycle Outfitters is great as well.

Just be paitent when working on your bike. There is a ton of info here on mtbr and on the web as well. It's a pretty straight forward job doing the SS conversion but if you get stuck ask questions here.

Ah yes, and what homegrown_xt said too. Sheldon's site is a wealth of info on everything bicycle related.
    Robb
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    Canondale Synapse w/DuraAce goodness

mtbr member
    May 2008
    1. remove shifters/shifter cables, remove front and rear derailleur's, remove derailleur cables,if you have integrated shimano gear/v-brakes then buy new brake levers, vice versa if you don't have them then just remove your shifters and use the stock brake levers.

2. If your bike came with a Freewheel cassette then you need to change it to a whole new freehub wheel.

3. Order a SS kit w/tensioner, cog, lockring, spacers

4. Get a SS specific chain

5. get a Single Chainring for your crank/ if your bike has a lower end crankset with riveted bolts these will not come out (unless you very very carefully drill them out)not worth it, invest in a good crank thats bolted/this way you can use one chainring (ss specific/geared chainrings have ramps and pins and cause the chain to deraill. Get short chain ring bolts...6mm-8mm size depends on where your ordering them from.

Good Starter gear : 32 Front / 18 Rear Cog,

Hope this helps this is a very basic list of parts to get the job...and then of course your tools you will need as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You don't need a SS specific chain, nor do you need a SS specific chainring. Just make sure your chainline is right, and you chain is properly tensioned, and it'll be fine. Even now I still use a SRAM PC-870 chain on my single speed as it's strong and cheap.

OP, check the link in the upper right hand corner.

Members who have read this thread: 0