mtbr member

SS conversion kits (EBAY)?

What do all you experienced SS builders think of these Ebay SS conversion kits?

My parts bin is full including an old cheap frame (vertical drop-outs) and I’d like to build up a SS machine. Are these simple Ebay kits any good or am I better off spending a little cash on something like an ENO Eccentric rear hub?
    Last edited by xcntrk75; 09-27-2010 at 11:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm not an experienced SS builder by any means but I tried one of those spring loaded tensionsers (the sette one that looks exactly like that) and found it to be garbage.

I'd be more happier with a rennen style tensioner (the sette copy is only $20) and the gusset kit

mtbr member
    I got the gusset chain tensioner, which doesn't have a spring tensioner and installs where the old derailleur used to be, and I think is legit. In addition I bought the dual six conversion kit and I am very happy. I then threw in a Tangen steel fork and was still under $100.00

Very happy with my set up, have been dropping the hammer on it doing intervals on/off road as I get ready to do a couple of races, and I have yet to drop the chain or experience any problems at all.

My combo is 36/16. And I am spending under $20 in an additional cog 18t to make it more climbing friendly.

All of this at universalcycles.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    1 1/4" PVC pipe for spacers.. that's what I'm going to use for my street wheels... going to take the risk and spend the $.63 for the shorter coupling pvc.

The cogs are $4-$5 on ebay and you can probably find a good tensioner for cheap

mtbr member
    I used one from Ebay that was a "no-name", paid about $20 for spacers, couple of cogs and a spring tensioner. I used the spacers and the tensioner and bought a Surly cog. The spacers and tensioner worked great for about a year and a half until I bought a SS specific frame....although you say your frame has "horizontal drop-outs" so sounds like you don't need the tensioner anyhow...

mtbr member
    Yeah sorry, noob mistake, that would be vertical drop-outs - standard MTB...

mtbr member
    Have not used one personally- but have had friends try them. They all said it was a decent kit to find out if you really want to SS. They all upgraded if they decided it was for them.
    Find a ride on FB> AZ MTB

"Uppercase with a space"

local trails rider
    I just don't like the idea of a spring loaded tensioner. Less reliable than one you fix with a bolt. I have a Rennen on one bike and there's others in similar style. My "new" bike uses a Blackspire Stinger chain guide for tension (at the BB end of the drivetrain).

Also, thin stamped cogs may chew into your freehub body: good for figuring out what gearing you want but a wide base cog is a better long term solution. Surly, On-One, Gusset, Chris King, etc ...

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"