mtbr member
    Apr 2009

SS conversion kits

Do they work? If I wanted to get a normal cassette freehub wheel and use a kit with spacers, would it work ok for SS so I could also switch to gears for certain areas and rides? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Yes, it would work fine.

beautiful jackass
    This is super common and I decided on doing the same thing for my recent single speed build. I'm going with the Surly kit because it comes with several spacers of varying widths, as well as a lock ring.

mtbr member
    I've owned all kinds of single speed frames (EBBs, track ends, sliding dropouts), and honestly the cheap tensioner I have now works as well as any of them (better than some, because of easier wheel removal and no slipping). The spacers in these kits makes it really easy to get your chainline right, and since you're using a geared wheel, it makes it easy to go back and forth between SS and 1x9.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks...guess I can start looking for a wheelset soon.

mtbr member
    That's how I had my first SS set up and it worked great! Make sure you get a nice wide cog though so it doesn't dig into your hub....CK, Surly, Fouriers are a few that I've used and recommend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by farrisw1
    That's how I had my first SS set up and it worked great! Make sure you get a nice wide cog though so it doesn't dig into your hub....CK, Surly, Fouriers are a few that I've used and recommend.
    I've got a choice of 5 cogs...4 of them are Surly. IT may not make a difference. I may just keep running SS all the time...unless my knees give up the ghost.

Members who have read this thread: 0