mtbr member

SS commuting - is this the right path to take?

Planning to get a Cannondale Bad Boy 9 as my new dedicated commuting bike. This will probably be the closest I'll get to buying a road bike. If you recall from previous posts, I recently built an SS bike that I've been using as a cummuter. It's a 1996 Raleigh M50 bike that was given to me by a coworker whose son no longer uses it anymore. I've been putting a lot of mileage on that bike since building it to specs. Really love it. Since I've been commuting a lot, I thought I'd get a more dedicated commuting bike with skinny tires. So comes the BB9. I think one of the main reasons I want to make this an SS is that I got a set of Bontrager Mustang SS wheels that I want to use with 700c tires. The hub is SS-specific. It's probably better than the stock Cannondale wheelset the BB9 comes with. So having the Bontrager wheels sorta gives me reason to make another SS bike. Plus, I really like riding the SS Raleigh.

But, I'm wondering if making a commuter an SS is a good thing. Will I get tired of it and wish for gears? I plan to run 38x17. I'm happy with the 38x18 that I have on my 26er Raleigh.

So SS commuters, inspire me! Am I doing the right thing? What do you like about SS commuting?

surly inbred
    Quote Originally Posted by djork View Post
    blah..blah..stuff..blah.. Am I doing the right thing? ...more stuff..blah blah...
    Would you like us to validate your choice of socks as well? **** dude, get after it & decide for yourself.

mtbr member
    Should I ride with silk panties or cotton underwear?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Stop typing and start pedaling!
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Monocog 29er with 35x19 gearing.
    Track bike with 39x18 and 44x18
    Converted Bianchi ss road bike with 44x18
    Hilly and windy here. Had fun with each one.
    Just do it and modify it if needed.
    My commutes are typically flat out time trials from 3-13 miles depending on route taken.
    Just having fun.

AZ
    banned
    Is the drop out spacing on a Bad Boy 135mm? Your Bonty wheels are only going to fit 135mm spacing.

mtbr member
    I carry a pannier containing my lunch, some basic tools, a clean t-shirt, and a few other items. it's only a few miles but i would not want to do it on any sort of SS bike.

my commuter is a 700c hybrid with a 40t front ring and 12-34 8speed rear. SS bikes, road or off-road, are purely for fun. when I want a bike to get me from one place to another without hassle, it will have gears.

Teen Wolf
    I commute on my ss bikes and really enjoy it. Not much to it, just low maintenance and lots of questions from coworkers about my weird bike selections. I see no reason to get gears for my commute, ss is what I ride on the trails and it works just as well in town.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    But, I'm wondering if making a commuter an SS is a good thing. Will I get tired of it and wish for gears? I plan to run 38x17. I'm happy with the 38x18 that I have on my 26er Raleigh.
    If you like it, use it. If you don't, get gears. Generally speaking ss doesn't make riding any easier, it's just funnier. You could also consider fixed gear for commuting.

38x16 or 38x15 might be a better choice with road tires.

Teen Wolf
    +1 on fixed commuting. I'm fixed 90% of my commutes

default title
    Should I ride with silk panties or cotton underwear?
    Studded leather or go the **** home.
    ___
    _

mtbr member
    I commute fixed also. I went to fixed for simplicity and reliability. Before putting together my fixed gear, I was breaking chains & shifter cables constantly. Apparently sprinting away from stoplights and banging through the gears under load is hard on sh!t.
    Now my biggest concern is flatting out. But I have found some tires that seem to hold up to street debris really well (Open Paves).
    For me, my work is less than 5 miles away. The difference between riding and driving is only 5 minutes.
    Current set up is a Felt steel frame, 44x15 fixed, Ahearne bars, front and rear brakes.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    ss commuting is not the right path.

fixed gear commuting is the right path.

i was hesitant when i swapped to fixed wheels on my road bike, but its a lot of fun, and as far as commuting goes it is my favorite bike to ride. i don't have a long ride to my campus, but i ride that bike everywhere i'm going, so it sees a decent amount of milage.

i only run a front brake, and its much easier to navigate through traffic with your feet helping to control your speed. much more modulation i guess you could say than with 2 brakes and a free wheel.

and you are much more aware of whats going on in traffic when your not focusing on your shifting.

mtbr member
    -1 on Fixed gear. I enjoy coasting too much.

I ride 32:16 on a 29er and it's a bit spinny but I have a mean hill to climb.

mtbr member
    Thank you, jeSSe, for answering the most relevant question here! :P

Anyway, AZMTNS, I heard the BB accepts standard 26 mtn wheels, so it is definitely 135mm in the rear. The Bonty Mustang 29er SS wheels I have are 135mm (I'm guessing).

Not too familiar with fixies and really not interested in that route. I like to coast too and I've heard stories of newbie fixie riders crashing because they didn't know how to stop or control the spinning cranks.

I'm thinking going 1 x 8, but I really want to make use of this Bonty SS wheelset I have. It's a lot nicer and perhaps better quality than the stock C-dale 700c wheels the BB9 comes with. Besides, I really like the simplicity and cool factor of an SS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cr45h View Post
    +1 on fixed commuting
    +2, though bike commuting is nice anyways.
    Ride more!

Ovaries on the Outside
    Fixed street riding was the yin to my wang, but I've changed my opinion a lot.

I live on the wrong side of a 1k hill that I have to descend on the other side. No ****ing way I'm riding fixed down it. About a month ago I had spun out on my SS around 30mph and some ****er on his mtb passed me because he still had gears.

So should you SS? Maybe. Do you have fairly decent hills? Don't do fixed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    min of 30 miles a day, 4-5 days a week and I haven't done a single geared commute in over 3 years. I run 29er rigid with 34/16 or 32/14 and while it does spin out on the road a bit, it's perfect for when it transitions from road to trail. There's not a hill on the road or trail any part of the trip I can't climb with that gearing and not tear myself up daily doing it.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Next week after I get my new/old bike back from the LBS (old GT being converted to SS) I will give it a go at a SS commute. It will be a ~6 mile each way commute with a few small hills.

Its being set up with a 36/16t. I will see how that goes for me.

I look at it this way....It doesn't really matter what you are riding....as long as you are riding and having fun. So put some fun between your legs and ride!

Is that Bill rated?
    Been SS on my commuters for seventeen years, I can't imagine wanting gears for a consistent route on pavement. Pick a gear that just lets me crest my toughest climb and then coast whenever I am spun out to make me a happy rider.
    Well, it was a good try.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice thing about ss on commuter is that there's a lot less to steal.
    Don't fix it unless you think it's broken.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    SS 42/16 for commuting. I like coasting too much.

Bike Snob
    SS 46/16 for my commuter. I have 2 hills that never get any easier, hoping it will make a man out of me one day.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Just switched from a year of fixed commuting to SS. Its nice. I can get where Im going faster.

Also you can hyperspin-coast with a freewheel. So it makes it easier to tuck into traffic and get sucked along at 30+ mph. Try doing that on a "commute geared" fixed gear
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens