Mtn Biker Machinist

SS cog/chain ?'s

I want to order a king kog, paul melvin, and ss chain for my fuel ss conversion. My question, is the king kog designed for use with a 3/32" chain (width for most deraileur chains right?), or can I use a 1/8" ss specific chain. I broke my 9spd chain after the conversion, and I am wondering if it is too narrow to be strong enough for ss duty. Also will the 1/8 chain work with the melvin, or should I just go with an 8spd chain, or maybe the sram pc1? If I'm way off, help! I really want ot make this fs ss conversion work! I am currently using the middel ring from my bontrager crankset (9spd) is this going to cause problems with an 8spd or 1/8" chain. Lots of ?'s, thanks in advance for the help!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    The Melvin is the thing I'm not sure you'll have problems with. Just use a 3/32" chain and you will be fine with everything you mentioned.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    I am using a SRAM PC1 (1/8") with a 9sp chainring with no problems. There is a little play but as long as you have good chain tension you should be ok. Not sure on your tensioner though.

Am I getting too bulky?
    IMHO, there's no need to run anything other than a 3/32nds chain. I'm running an SRAM PC-58 on my MonoCog and a KMC Drop Buster Z-601 on my fixie, and never had an issue with a chain. I'm a clyde that changes chains very infrequently too, FWIW.
    I gotta roll, can't stand still, got a flame in my heart, can't get my fill.

I'd stick with 3/32", that way you won't run into any complications with the Melvin and your front chainring. Check out the Z chains from KMC--their 3/32's models are pretty beefy. I've had good luck with my Z610HZ.