mtbr member
    Jul 2008

SS chain choice and why

It is time to upgrade my chain - what are the chains you are using and why?

pvd
    mtbr member
    Dura-ace 10 speed. The strongest lightest nicest chain you can use.

aka baycat
    Gotta check that out.

I am using a cheap SRAM 8 speed, no problems yet.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Dura-ace 10 speed. The strongest lightest nicest chain you can use.
    I'm not sure a 10 speed chain will work on single speed cogs and chainrings. Even if it did, why waste so much money on an item that wears out? I haven't used the Dura Ace version, but I'm convinced that 10 speed in general was a horrible idea - the chains are narrower and more prone to damage (my experience anyway).

I recommend 8 speed SRAM chains. They are easy to find, work great, and are easy to remove when needed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    bell uni chain because its $5 at walmart and you can replace it almost anywhere in america.

that chain and cheap ammunition are the only reasons I go there... otherwise I think walmart is bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    I'm not sure a 10 speed chain will work on single speed cogs and chainrings. Even if it did, why waste so much money on an item that wears out? I haven't used the Dura Ace version, but I'm convinced that 10 speed in general was a horrible idea - the chains are narrower and more prone to damage (my experience anyway).

I recommend 8 speed SRAM chains. They are easy to find, work great, and are easy to remove when needed.

The only thing different is the width of the pin, (plates are the same), so structurely they would be the same if not the 10 speed being stronger, (narrower pins allow less leverage between the plates). 75% of the time people assume a narrower chain is weaker before even considering how it's made and what really makes it narrower. Look outside the box folks.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    I am running the mid-level SRAM 8-speed. Just changed to a new one after about 800 miles.

don't try this at home
    KMC Z-chain = strong and cheap - what else do you need in a chain?
    will you rep me?

one chain loop
    i would like to try a rohloff slt-99 myself if i have the money.
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    SRAM 8 speed can't be beat. I've run that chain on my SS bikes and haven't had any problems for almost 3 years.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    KMC z-82
    cuz thats what came on the bike.
    no masterlinks or half links
    I have an EBB so its easy to get the right tension.

mtbr member
    Sram PC-1. Part due to price (cheap), part because they seem to last longer than geared chains, and because I also use them on the fixie/commuter as well where geared chains don't fit (1/8" only). makes shopping and finding spare links easier.

Sram 8-speed chains stretch very, very quickly for me (in one attempt at using them).

The plates are different (maybe the same between 8-9 spd for the same models). If the only difference were the length of the pins, the weight wouldn't be 10-15% more. My big arse likes em stronger chains

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    For those worried about chain breakage. This is the set up you need.http://www.vassagocycles.com/webgalleries2/riders%20pics/slides/kevins.html
    Last edited by 2WheelMark; 08-26-2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: no photo upload
    You Can't Triple Stamp A Double Stamp!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i'm running an 1/8" drivetrain and have broken several PC-1s. they suck, imho. the first one i attributed to my own ineptitude with the chain tool (not that i've ever had problems with any other bike/chain). the 2nd i began to wonder...but hey, they're cheap. after the third i bought a kmc inox chain (s-10?)...

this is the kind of chain you bring to a fight. it must weigh 3lbs. stainless steel. absolutely bulletproof. ~$20 and well worth the peace of mind. net weight gain actually only 2.5lbs, since i now leave my chain tool at home!

crap magnet

kmc z610hx

Cheap, really strong but a bit heavy. I'll gladly push around the extra weight. My boys are worth it!

$11.05 at Niagra Bicycle Works.
    Last edited by cdaddy; 08-26-2008 at 09:01 PM.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Treybiker
    The only thing different is the width of the pin, (plates are the same), so structurely they would be the same if not the 10 speed being stronger, (narrower pins allow less leverage between the plates). 75% of the time people assume a narrower chain is weaker before even considering how it's made and what really makes it narrower. Look outside the box folks.
    The plates may be the same thickness and tensile strength close to the same, but 10sp chains lack two major things that make a chain last longer and harder to break. First the bushing area is narrower (even though it is "bushingless" there is still a "bushing" pressed out of the plate). So it will, all else equal, wear faster. The other thing is they have removed most of the riveting of the pin to the outter plate. Pin retention is not as good, where many chain failures occur.

I would also bet that most SS cogs are too wide for the chain to fit on the teeth....

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by 2WheelMark
    For those worried about chain breakage. This is the set up you need.http://www.vassagocycles.com/webgall...es/kevins.html
    so tell us about this setup, i only see a geared bike and nothing special. tell us about the chain.

edit:
    i think i know what you are trying to show us, linked wrong.
    Last edited by fishcreek; 08-27-2008 at 12:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dookie
    i'm running an 1/8" drivetrain and have broken several PC-1s. they suck, imho. the first one i attributed to my own ineptitude with the chain tool (not that i've ever had problems with any other bike/chain). the 2nd i began to wonder...but hey, they're cheap. after the third i bought a kmc inox chain (s-10?)...

this is the kind of chain you bring to a fight. it must weigh 3lbs. stainless steel. absolutely bulletproof. ~$20 and well worth the peace of mind. net weight gain actually only 2.5lbs, since i now leave my chain tool at home!
    ive heard the same, but I have had great luck with 2 pc-1s, and bad luck with a pc-58 and a hg 9-speed.

I keep telling myself I will try a KMC when it fails me, but it hasn't.

one chain loop

wow 3 lbs! thats pretty much the weight of my garage door opener's chain, 500 links and all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by moschika
    KMC Z-chain = strong and cheap - what else do you need in a chain?
    Totally agree....light, strong and cheap..not many times you can put those three together when discussing bike parts
    I get mine from Charlie in the UK http://tinyurl.com/5zlw6s
    HB

local trails rider
    I've had great luck with Shimano CN-7701 on all sorts of bikes that take 9 speed chains. It does not stretch too easily and the surface cleans easily.

one chain loop
    OT:
    i'd rather maintain my chain regularly than having to get rid of the chain altogether like this ugly shaft drive:

i can deal with internal gears but no shafts please. but who knows what will be the bike drivetrain design ten years from now.

pvd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckUni
    The other thing is they have removed most of the riveting of the pin to the outter plate. Pin retention is not as good, where many chain failures occur.
    No. The pins on a Shimano 10spd chain are countersunk rather than peened. They are much much stronger than peened pins.

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    i would have to say shadow conspiracy interlock v2 chain
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

El Mas Chingon
    a white one
    Moots Cinco
    Vassago Optimus Ti
    Cervelo Prodigy

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris
    i would have to say shadow conspiracy interlock v2 chain
    Just put one on my new build, only have a few rides on it but it seems pretty beastly. I succumbed to the hype and bought their chain tool to carry with me, I don't want to have to fiddle around out on the trail. At home it's the Park chain pliers for me.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    KMC Stainless steel - why? - because it's shiny
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    SO KMCs are the shizz?

Do they all have master links that can be easily taken down for cleaning, etc?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I saw a iditarod bike with a triple chain

Combat Wombat

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by RSW42
    SO KMCs are the shizz?

Do they all have master links that can be easily taken down for cleaning, etc?

I am currently running a Sram 8-speed chain, because when I built up my Jabber, I had a brand new one hanging in the garage that I had originally bought for another project. I had been running a KMC Z610HX single speed chain on my other SS, before building the 29er. I have had no issues with the Sram and have no doubt that it is more than strong enough, but I will go back to the KMC for my next chain. The Sram uses a power link, which on the SS, means loosening everthing to get enough slack to disconnect it. The KMC uses a traditional master link. With all the sand on my local trails, I like to clean my chain on a regular basis and this is much easier to do when you can remove it from the bike. By popping the master link apart on the KMC, a very simple process, I can remove and replace the chain without having to loosen up the rear wheel.

Brian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianU
    I am currently running a Sram 8-speed chain, because when I built up my Jabber, I had a brand new one hanging in the garage that I had originally bought for another project. I had been running a KMC Z610HX single speed chain on my other SS, before building the 29er. I have had no issues with the Sram and have no doubt that it is more than strong enough, but I will go back to the KMC for my next chain. The Sram uses a power link, which on the SS, means loosening everthing to get enough slack to disconnect it. The KMC uses a traditional master link. With all the sand on my local trails, I like to clean my chain on a regular basis and this is much easier to do when you can remove it from the bike. By popping the master link apart on the KMC, a very simple process, I can remove and replace the chain without having to loosen up the rear wheel.

Brian

That's all good, but I need a 1/8" and I see the SRAM comes in that...But, I've been recommended to stay away from SRAM for SS chain (?)

Does the KMC K710 ("Kool Chain" come with a master that you know of? I can;t find any yay/nay in any literature, and I don;t wanna buy the wrong thing.

Hmmmmmmmm...
    Last edited by RSW42; 09-08-2008 at 07:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    smc s-10.

stainless.

quick-link.

1/8"

skull cracker.

the best.

mtbr member
    i bought a Taya BMX chain, heavy but seems to work nice...

mtbr member
    smc s-10.

stainless.

quick-link.

1/8"

skull cracker.

the best.

Hey Dookie,

You have a link to where I can get one? I pasted it into google and nothing (?)

Thanks,

R

☠☠☠
    May 2008

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    not to speak for anyone, but I'm pretty sure dookie meant the KMC S-10, stainless-steel chain.

I'm currently looking for the PC-7X, 'cuz apparently it's sweetness and sram just brought it back, or something...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    fsa 10-speed, sram 10spd hollow.

10 speed chains run quieter and are lighter.

or, if you can afford it, campy chains.

Whatever

Gusset Slink Chain -- bling and strong

What's your favorite SS crank set?

Here is what I am using after breaking SRAM 8 speed chains twice this summer. I didn't want to go to 1/8 pitch due to weight and having to change cogs/rings and chainline, so this is the next strongest. It's meant for BMX and for strong riders and/or street riding and grinding.

Plus it looks BLING
    just ride

mtbr member

KMC 810 chain...

...Super strong, great quick link/master link, 3/32 sizing (1/8 is overkill and sometimes catches on my bashguard), I've had it on my SS for ~ 1 year with very little stretch. Currently about $12 on the interweb (Blue Sky Cycling has 'em).

mtbr member
    KMS Stainless Steel - because it's shiny
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    KMC Z410. It's strong, not noticeably heavy (i think it's hilarious that anyone even mentions weight talking about a chain), and it does what it's supposed to.

... and the pretty colors... I have a red one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sram 8-speed has worked great for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    KMC Kool Chain light. come in colors and light

mtbr member

Another PC-1 fan here: Nickel Plated!

I've been running SRAM PC-1s for awhile, no issues. Like them a lot. The key is to spend a couple bucks more, and get the nickel plated version. Past discussion on the board has led me to beleive the regular and nickel versions are quite a bit different in terms of durability, etc.

i'm running an 1/8" drivetrain and have broken several PC-1s. they suck, imho.
    Dookie- were your PC1's regular or nickel?

Mark
    Dec 2007
    Dunno what I'm riding.
    Mine comes off the large roll at the LBS.
    They do a bunch of 'bents so this is a really cost effective way to buy chain.

I typically don't run a chain for more than a month and then I replace it.
    ===============

Mark

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Wippermann!!

nnn
    mtbr member
    KMC Z....because it was the first chain avaiable to buy when I needed one.
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

Terror of Sidewalls
    Jul 2007
    KMC Z610HX...b/c Peter at Misfit recommended it and I respect his opinion enough to give it a try.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by real_psyence
    not to speak for anyone, but I'm pretty sure dookie meant the KMC S-10, stainless-steel chain.

I'm currently looking for the PC-7X, 'cuz apparently it's sweetness and sram just brought it back, or something...
    indeed. pardon my keyboard skilz...

you will regret the PC-1. i've broken several...the pin holes in the side plates oval out and the pin pulls free. the first time, i though it was my keyboard-like skilz with the chaintool. then i broke it again. then i got another. then i broke that one too. then i got the s-10. then i stopped breaking chains.

maybe it's my cavendish quads...

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Gotta check that out.

I am using a cheap SRAM 8 speed, no problems yet.

Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by RSW42
    That's all good, but I need a 1/8" and I see the SRAM comes in that...But, I've been recommended to stay away from SRAM for SS chain (?)
    Rick,

besides the PC68, I have used the PC1, with no problems. Very industrial.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    KMC Z510HC. 1/8" and strong. never has failed.

PC-1's have failed me.

Girt by sea.
    indeed. pardon my keyboard skilz...

you will regret the PC-1. i've broken several...the pin holes in the side plates oval out and the pin pulls free. the first time, i though it was my keyboard-like skilz with the chaintool. then i broke it again. then i got another. then i broke that one too. then i got the s-10. then i stopped breaking chains.

maybe it's my cavendish quads...
    Get a Powerlink. You shouldn't need to use a chain tool once you've set the length of the chain.

Cheers,
    Graeme
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My photography web site: www.scenebyhird.com

Members who have read this thread: 0