Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SS Chain Advice

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

SS Chain Advice

I have a 13 Trek Superfly AL Elite that I converted to an SS. My chain broke this weekend and I was able to fix it to get back to the car. I dont feel confident and want to get another one. Any suggestions on a real reliable chain that can take a beating? I run a 32 x 18. Thanks Guys/Gals

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by kdaly1 View Post
    i have a 13 trek superfly al elite that i converted to an ss. My chain broke this weekend and i was able to fix it to get back to the car. I dont feel confident and want to get another one. Any suggestions on a real reliable chain that can take a beating? I run a 32 x 18. Thanks guys/gals
    sram pc-850.

=s
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    10-4 Thanks. Just bought it on newegg.com Didn't know they did bike parts now too...

mtbr member
    I've been riding the Cutter Asymm Single Speed Chain. I know some peeps don't like it, but it's been working for me. Mind you I'm far from a clydsdale.
    It's not how old I am, it's how old I feel - Minor Threat

mtbr member
    Almost any 3/32" chain will work for SSing as long as your chainring and sprocket are that size. If 1/8th, just get a KMC k710 and be done with it.

All depends on how much you want to pay. I've used Sram 8 & 9 speed chains. The powerlinks make it easy to remove and fix trailside. I've never had one break on me. Now i run KMC chains. 8.83 & z610hx. So far, the 610 is wearing better than any of the others i've run. KMC's listed can usually be found from $8-12.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Great to know thank you very much! Glad I asked!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The best chain I've used by far for road and trail is...

KMC Z610HX DropBuster BMX Bicycle Chain (1-Speed, 1/2 x 3/32-Inch, 112L, Silver)

I personally use SRAM 8-speeds, but far more important than the chain is the chainline. Make sure you've got that dialed in, as it can destroy just about any chain and ride.

Gotta pay to play
    I'm a fan of KMC's just because you can take the chain off with your fingers (instead of some sort of proprietary tool like Shimano) for cleaning. I heard SRAM also has this feature but have never tried one of their chains.

mtbr member
    Another KMC 610HX vote. Cheap and durable!
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    I run the KMC X9 Gold. Much lighter than the stock one and super strong. I snapped my other one a few weeks ago and I only have a few miles on this one. I did some pretty big climbs and at 242 LBS I really stand on those pedals.
    Anyone remember the days when Signatures were called Taglines?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chainstretcher View Post
    I run the KMC X9 Gold. Much lighter than the stock one and super strong. I snapped my other one a few weeks ago and I only have a few miles on this one. I did some pretty big climbs and at 242 LBS I really stand on those pedals.
    Good chain. I broke one of those last year uphill and crushed my knee into the stem. Since have been running Connex 808's. They do not stretch much and have been reliable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Not sure why my order didn't go through but I got the KMC K710 this time around as it was a little cheaper. Hope it works out. Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Are you running 1/8" drivetrain? If not, you may have some slop with a 1/8" chain (k710) and 3/32" chainring & sprocket. The k810 is the 3/32" version of the k710, fyi.

surly inbred
    sParthoLomus is all knowing. Dude know's a bit about things & stuff. There ain't many things more durable for 250 pesos than a SRAM 8 speeder, 'cept maybe a Surly cog.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    10-4 Perhaps, I'll get both and have my LBS advise me what I have and install the correct one. Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I run a Sram 951 (9 speed) light, cheap and strong. I switched to a KMC gold chain and snapped it in less than 3 hours (from new). 951 works and lasts long.

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    sParthoLomus is all knowing. Dude know's a bit about things & stuff. There ain't many things more durable for 250 pesos than a SRAM 8 speeder, 'cept maybe a Surly cog.
    TroutBottom, your blatant attempt to snag some +rep failed. Sez mtbr:
    "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TroutBum again."
    Don't worry, I'll hit ya asap.
    Meanwhile your usual monthly check is in the mail...

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The KMC 610 is a good cheap option but the KMC X1 will last at least 2 times longer and looks better because of the nickel plating. It takes up less dirt as it has a smoother finnish.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bart bakker View Post
    The KMC 610 is a good cheap option but the KMC X1 will last at least 2 times longer and looks better because of the nickel plating. It takes up less dirt as it has a smoother finnish.
    My 610 still looks new after about 700mi and is also nickel plated. I do live in SoCal and mostly deal with dust. Rock n' Roll Gold and Finishline Ceramic Wax keep it clean and running quiet. I don't know where you get 2x longer for the X1, but, for $10-12 you can still buy two 610's and save money. My 610 is wearing great as well and will probably last over a season for me.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    I'm a fan of KMC's just because you can take the chain off with your fingers (instead of some sort of proprietary tool like Shimano) for cleaning. I heard SRAM also has this feature but have never tried one of their chains.
    Er... What ?
    How do you shorten your KMC chain, so that it is the right length for your bike?

You can use the KMC or SRAM quick links with Shimano chains.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

Gotta pay to play
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    Er... What ?
    How do you shorten your KMC chain, so that it is the right length for your bike?

You can use the KMC or SRAM quick links with Shimano chains.
    You'd have to use a chain breaker tool to initially set the length- but after you can just take it off by hand.

HTFU!
    Another +1 for SRAM chains. I am currently using a 950, but sometime use the 850. Never broken one (and I ride a lot of miles and with a lot of elevation). The only chain I have every broke is a KMC. Can't remember the model, but it was one of those superlite chains with hollow pins and spaces between the linky thingys, so not a big surprise there.
    Like previously mentioned, know what your drive train will allow for. If you are running a cog or ring cut for 1/8 then do not run a 9 or 8 spd. chain.
    I currently run an HBC front ring and King cog. Soon I will be switching to a e13 ring and an Endless cog (along with that SRAM 850).
    Good Luck with whatever you go with.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    You'd have to use a chain breaker tool to initially set the length- but after you can just take it off by hand.
    Yup.

A chain breaker tool isn't proprietary Shimano, KMC, SRAM, or Campagnolo, though.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    I've always been happy with SRAM 971's.

SPP
    Last edited by SlowPokePete; 02-18-2013 at 05:18 AM. Reason: typo
    Rigid.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast