Thread: SS Big Mama?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

SS Big Mama?

Would I be crazy to get a salsa big mama and run it singlespeed? I'm not familier with full suspension bikes so what are some problems that could arise from somthing like this? Any help would be awesome before i pull the trigger.

Thanks,
    Eric

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Why would you wanna do that? A 4" travel frame isn't meant to run singlespeed.
    A single gear won't allow you to (ab)use that frame to the fullest.

Full suspension bikes also have varying chain tension, so you will need a tensioning device.
    Since the 'clean' looks of a singlespeed may be the reason to build it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The main reason i was going to get it single speed was becuase most of the stuff out here (gunnison,colorado) you can get away with a singlespeed. I was liking the fact of the extra suspension for the way down, and from what i've seen out here, people climb and descend things out here on a fully rigid singlespeed. I was just wanting something a little different, unique and fasteer/funner than a fully rigid ss

meatier showers
    You could do it. Just ditch the three designed-for-shifting rings in favor of an SS ring, convert the cluster to a SS cog, leave the rear derailleur on as a tensioning device, shorten the chain as much as possible and get rid of the shifters, cables and front der.

Good to go.

Personally I'll be pulling the trigger on a SBM soon, too. But I'm going to run mine 1x8.

--Sparty

Edit: On second thought, you might consider leaving the front der on as a chain guide. Having a large capacity chain tensioner (rear der) sometimes leads to a flailing chain that can easily come unshipped off the front ring.
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Look into the Lenz Milk Money too. It's got a BB concentric pivot so there is no chain growth as the suspension cycles...no tensioner needed. Probably costs more than a Big Mama though.

V-Shaped Rut
    The Yess tensioner for FS bikes is an option, there are vids on the web so you can see it working. That and a rear shock with lockout should do you. Rigid on the way up for out of the seat climbing, squishy on the way down.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    thats exactly what i was thinking big slacker. I have hear many good things about how the big mama fully utilizes the pro pedal on the fox to it's fullest extent. Then, when i get to the top unlock both the front and the rear and scream on down. It would be great for moab and fruita i was thinking too...the suspension would definitely help and you could still get away with one gear. Also i was thinking it would be awesome for the monarch crest trail.