Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

Thread: Which SS 29er?

mtbr member

Which SS 29er?

I've had a road bike for a few years now, but have decided to sell it since I'm not doing much long distance riding anymore. I rather like to spend my time on longer trail rides. I'm looking to buy a new 29er (or 26") single speed for the primary purpose of commuting but also as a capable trail bike when my main ride (Blur LT) is out of commission, or just for fun.

My budget is going to be maximum $800, and I'm not opposed to building a bike up or to mix/match parts from a complete build. I've built up my own bikes before, have tools, and can do 90% of any job necessary on a bike. Trails around here are gnarly, rocky, gravelly, but not overly steep. In town is completely flat, so I'll likely run a different combination of gears and tires when commuting/trail riding. At this point I'm leaning towards rigid rather than a low end heavy suspension fork.

Here's a few I've come across that look like good candidates. I'd like to hear about others too, or if anyone has experience with these bikes. Thanks!

Charge Cooker SS - $799
    Dawes Bullseye - $399 (and I assume upgrade wheels + other stuff)
    Nashbar SS 29er - $399 (hmm, this looks familiar)
    Redline Monocog 29er SS - $650
    Civilian Luddite - $770 (carbon fork, never heard of this brand)
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    I say go with the monocog.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You could likely get a couple year old GF Rig on ebay.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    My vote is for a used monocog flight although you will end up not seeing much saddle time on your blur anymore... lol

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I recently acquired a Civilian Luddite, and I can't say enough good stuff about it. Just my $.02, but it's an awesome bike!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Monocog. I love the geo and the ride. I've had both Monocog and Monocog Flight. Both are great.

I'd stick to 29er. More options for commuter slicks.

mtbr member
    I built up a Origin 8 Scout for about $700 with some real nice parts, started with the frame and fork for $199 shipped.

Of the ones you listed, the Civilian has the best spec all things considered. Solid frame that can be single speed or geared, solid brakes, nice carbon forks, good crankset, etc. The wheels are kind of tanks, but I've owned those Quando hubs and they actually work decently for a cheap hub.

Moderator Moderator
    From personal experience another vote for a Monocog. First 29er SS I bought, and there's still one in the garage next to a One 9 and a Black Sheep.

Great geometry and a great ride that makes it feel lighter than it is.

However.. that Luddite looks like killer value but adding tires and pedals may blow your budget !!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    My first 29er and SS and rigid was a doodoo brown Monocog with v-brakes for $250 off craigslist. I sold my Trek Fuel EX 8 maybe a month or two later. Since I'm a little biased, I'd choose the Monocog flight, but consider something used as well.

mtbr member
    I'll definitely see if I can find a Monocog flight. An LBS has the normal Monocog, so maybe they can cut me a deal on the Flight. But man, that Luddite does seem like a good value, I just don't know anything about the company.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    MonoCog - I just rode mine for the first time in 3 months today and loved it!

Big Boy
    Civilian has been getting good reviews.

Full carbon fork, race face cranks, bb7's, and a solid wtb wheelset. Only thing I would do to that bike is throw on some different tires tubeless.

Best bike in class IMO.

That being said, that SOB needs another set of bottle cage bosses.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    I've had a road bike for a few years now, but have decided to sell it since I'm not doing much long distance riding anymore. I rather like to spend my time on longer trail rides. I'm looking to buy a new 29er (or 26") single speed for the primary purpose of commuting but also as a capable trail bike when my main ride (Blur LT) is out of commission, or just for fun.

My budget is going to be maximum $800, and I'm not opposed to building a bike up or to mix/match parts from a complete build. I've built up my own bikes before, have tools, and can do 90% of any job necessary on a bike. Trails around here are gnarly, rocky, gravelly, but not overly steep. In town is completely flat, so I'll likely run a different combination of gears and tires when commuting/trail riding. At this point I'm leaning towards rigid rather than a low end heavy suspension fork.

Here's a few I've come across that look like good candidates. I'd like to hear about others too, or if anyone has experience with these bikes. Thanks!

Charge Cooker SS - $799
    Dawes Bullseye - $399 (and I assume upgrade wheels + other stuff)
    Nashbar SS 29er - $399 (hmm, this looks familiar)
    Redline Monocog 29er SS - $650
    Civilian Luddite - $770 (carbon fork, never heard of this brand)
    Nashbar or Charge Cooker SE (today is last day of extra 20% off...guy at Performance Bikes said comes out to $750, I didn't check his math lol). Roade one around the store and it is nice.
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Love the carbon fork on my cyclocross bike, been wanting to try a carbon MTB fork, so I don't think I would be able to pass on the civilian, especially since it comes with bb7's. I'd definitely stick with a steel frame if you'll be riding rigid (think this only rules out the nashbar).
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Love the carbon fork on my cyclocross bike, been wanting to try a carbon MTB fork, so I don't think I would be able to pass on the civilian, especially since it comes with bb7's. I'd definitely stick with a steel frame if you'll be riding rigid (think this only rules out the nashbar).
    But many of us ride an aluminum hardtail frame?
    Get off the couch and ride!

mtbr member
    Count another vote for the Civilian. It looks like they're back on sale and will ship for free which will keep you under the $800 you've set aside. The parts pick is pretty good, but you'll want to replace the tires asap on it so include that in your budget.