"Its All Good"

SS to 1 x 9 for a very short time / race

Have had the Jones set up as a SS for some 13 months now, and I love it. I am doing a 4 day race in New Zealand called the Alpine Epic ( Many of you should next year come on down under and ride this race) There is substantial climbing, would love to do it SS, but that would mean my race partner would need to be SS also (have to race with a team mate constantly) so decided to go 1 x 9...

A big heads up to Chad at the Barn, he built me a great wheel, CK hub, Stans Flow Rim and DT Comp spokes.... Also furnished me with a 11 - 34 cassette (of which the colour clashes big time with my mango hub.... ), XO short cage rear der, XO triggers. Have gone with a 991 hollowpin chain and went with a Rohloff chain guide.

Everything went together perfect except for some mods I need to do on the chain guide (minor stuff) I did not even have to do one adjustment on the rear der, amazed me...

The race is 25th Feb, so wanted to get a few rides in on a 1 x 9.....

The things I noticed:

- Having a rear der takes around 10% minimum efficiency away in my opinion. As soon as I stood up, which is habit from the SS I could notice it big time. Now am not complaining, just what I noticed.

- Extra weight in the rear, again, not complaining, was just noticable

- I usually run a 32 by 20 gearing, I cannot get a matching gear with the 1 x 9 that feels the same as my SS gear.

When I ordered the Jones, I got NO cable guides at all, I didnt want it to be a breeze to swap to gears... But with zip ties, all is well....

I feel it is a good choice I have made with the 1 x 9 for the race, as normal, am sure many will poo hoo me and think I am nuts riding the Jones, this happens often, this time I am going with my gut feeling and lifting the middle finger to all those negative peeps...

A few shots:

How she has been since I purchased her....

As a 1 x 9, very temp I assure you...

Any thoughts re 1 x 9 riding, fire away, keen to learn.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Last year I tried an experiment w a 1 x 8 to see if it was faster than SS for me. I found I was always in the wrong gear for technical stuff and it wasn't faster, but I definitely felt "fresher" after a ride. This might be a benefit to you on a 4 day adventure race.

Also, after trying a few different chainstops, in tandem w/ a bashguard, I realized a front derailleur would be more reliable and lighter. It looks like your chainguide rides on the chain, that would annoy me, although I bet the actual friction is negligible.

Good luck with the race!

mtbr member
    I just instaled a 1x9 setup on my bike this week, and made a 60 mile ride with it today. My friend was with a SS. Although he is in better shape than me, he was much faster. On the climbs he was hammering all the way up, and on the flats we were at the same speed, as I was saving energy. 1x9 can be a tricky setup: the 32:32 is a dificult gear, it can be too hard for seated spinning and too low for standing with it. Besides the chainline is a nightmare so the efficiency is not that good.

mtbr member
    how does the X0 trigger work on the H-bars? I have a pair that are usually on my SS but am building a commuter and want to run Sram shifters
    Quote Originally Posted by thefuzzbl
    aluminium has a tendency to fail when you need it most. i.e. you end up with a bad day.

Hairshirt Rider
    I did something similar for the CB Classic last fall with a 1 X 6 on my Hope trials/ss hub. I wanted to enjoy the 100 miles rather than suffer through it. It was kind of nice not spin out on the flat stuff.

My only advice is to make use of the gears.

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    - Having a rear der takes around 10% minimum efficiency away in my opinion. As soon as I stood up, which is habit from the SS I could notice it big time.
    You have a very well calibrated seat of the pants my friend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar
    1x9 can be a tricky setup: the 32:32 is a dificult gear, it can be too hard for seated spinning and too low for standing with it. Besides the chainline is a nightmare so the efficiency is not that good.
    I completely agree with that. And sitting with 32x32 can be tough on the knees. Probably better to go a coupla gears harder and stand up (but in something a little easier than your normal SS gear...

"Its All Good"
    CB2 - the chain was not in a good place, am doing the final adjustments on the chain guide at this point. But agree with what you are saying after seeing the photo.

ZZ - Hear you on the 32 - 32, I have a 34 on this cassette, so went with 11 - 34, for the very reason you mention. It is still going to be a challenge with these gears....

Scooter - Having no problem with the XO Trigger on the H Bars, it is a bit more discrete for want of a better word on the my bars. But am more than happy with it..

Loudpawl - Hear you as well re using the gears, forgot to do that at times on Saturday.... My seat of me pants is by no means calibrated.... I am more than likely way out, but am certain I could feel that it wasnt as efficient.. LOL
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I’m commuting with1x9 set up on typical marathon terrain, (gravel roads/tarmac/single track) but only for 6-10 km :-). I started with 32T in the front and a 11-34 cassette but have moved up to 38T to get more speed. I ride SS most of the time with 32/16 and I believe keeping phase with guys having 44/11 as top gear is a bigger challenge then going uphill on 38/34.

But it all of course depends on your goal with the race.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I struggled with feelings of guilt and self-loathing earlier this winter when I turned my ss into a 3 speed. Once we are done with the snow and mud I'll go back to ss, and I do spend 95% of the time in the same gear combo as on the ss, but it's just not the same. However, I am overall faster with this setup, and I can ride farther/longer as well. Were I in a 4 day race, this would be a bigger factor for me than the grin on my face that ss gives me.

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Why is the chain being pushed down by the guard in the front? It seems like that could be the cause of the extra drag you are feeling? I'm asking because I swapped my ss drivetrain out for a 1x3 setup for the winter, and I do not notice any difference in pedaling efficiency when pushing a similar gearing as before. I notice some extra drag on the bike stand spinning the cranks, or when back pedaling but it is nothing even close to 10% extra when compared to the energy I put in the cranks pedaling. The reason I suspect the top chain guard as the extra 10% when riding is because the friction against that guide on top would increase with chain tension. On my setup, the only extra drag is coming from the derailleur pulleys, and that friction does not change when the chain is under a heavy load (that tension is constant and supplied by the cage spring), so while it feels like a significant increase when freely spinning the cranks, it is negligible when pedaling the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm pretty sure the chainguide is installed incorrectly. Doesn't it make a horrible sound set up like that?

Here are the setup instructions. They don't look like there is supposed to be any touching between the chain and the guide.

http://www.rohloff.de/uploads/media/...uehrung.en.pdf

mtbr member
    I just converted my SS to 1 x 9 a couple months ago. I have ENO cranks with no bash and an N gear jumpstop. So far its been flawless. Maybe if I were going to race I'd consider the Rohloff chainguide but to my eye it just ruins the look of that bike. Big, clumsy, just doesn't belong. I miss the simplicity of SS but gears allow me to cover more ground faster. I think I may buy another 29er hardtail frame so I can have one of each. That's the ticket......

mtbr member
    I think that on long rides the 1x9 is going to be somewhat slower than the SS. You will be saving your energy on the flats with the 1x9 and climbing slowly

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar
    I think that on long rides the 1x9 is going to be somewhat slower than the SS. You will be saving your energy on the flats with the 1x9 and climbing slowly
    Why? You can still climb in a taller gear. I don't get this line of thinking. It's all in the motor.

mtbr member
    The 1x9 is less efficient (by a tiny margin) and is really dificult to not go for a lower gear when you have them, but this is, as you say, because of the rider

mtbr member
    I also wanted to say that I love the swoopy lines of the Jones bikes. I would love to test ride one and see what the fuss is about for myself.

"Its All Good"
    kapusta - The picture does show a horrible chain line. All the components arrived last Friday, we were going to road ride Saturday and mtb Sunday. But it turned out we rode mtb Saturday, so was a rush.... Hence the chain guide was not perfect, this has been fixed now. I never rode in the lowest gear, to much drag on the chain guide.....

So appreciate your comments....

I still feel there is a little drag compared to a straight SS...

lama - I really enjoy the Jones as a bike, hope you are able to get a test ride at some stage...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    First time I've ever seen that Rohloff - what's pushing the chain down so weirdly? I always thought a tensioner should be on the slack side of the chain, never on the tight side (it'll just wear through your tensioner otherwise).

Isn't the Rohloff just supposed to keep the chain from flipping off one side or the other?

538ef8394a.jpg

Just curious... I'm making some chain guides for the rear of my ss to do the same thing. Had a chain jump today and snapped it. At least it was downhill to my house!

V-Shaped Rut
    I have 1x9 on my 'other' bike and its a different beast from an SS for sure. I think I might actually be faster on most terrain on the SS because I can't avoid the downshift temptation. But I'm less beat after a ride as someone else mentioned.

mtbr member
    Yep, totally agree with you