Thread: Sram pc58

mtbr member

Sram pc58

Has anybody out there broken a sram pc58 ? I'm having a hard time finding a 3/32 singlespeed chain here locally and am thinking of going back to this chain. I'm 165lbs running 34/17 and i worry about snapping a 8speed chain . I bought a 1/8" chain but it is a bit noisy. P.S. I tried searching but am limited to using opera mini on my phone at the moment and the search is not working for me. Thanks for any help you can give.

mtbr member
    I just run an 1/8" and put up with the noise, but I believe Wippermann makes a singlespeed 3/32" heavy duty chain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    KMC Z chain comes in a 3/32 width. Check out the BMX chains as there are a few different options. One comes in chrome!

I always had great luck with the PC58 chain too and I have also used a SRAM PC951 - - it worked well but always had me a bit worried it might break - - never did though.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Snapping 3/32 chains on SS's is more of a myth. Yea, it happens. It also happens on geared bikes. You are about as likely to break that 3/32 chain as you always have been. Its not very likely at all if your bike is set up properly.

mtbr member
    Well, I finally made it home and did some searching and it looks like you are right. It seems I'm better off with the 8speed chain. The side flex will help with my slightly off chain line and some bigger (stronger) guys have had good luck with them. Thanks for the help.