Thread: SPOT hub help

mtbr member

SPOT hub help

My buddy was excited to see his first SS show up last night. He went with a Bianchi SISS, slightly used. He brought it over to my place for the build. As we were putting the rear wheel in the track ends, I noticed over 5mm of space between the frame dropout and the axle end. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the drive side axle end was not even sticking out as far as the freewheel prongs. So when the axle is bolted down all the way, the prongs rest on the inside of the drive side fork end. I put a spacer on the drive side axle, but that put the disc within a mm on the non-drive side seat/chain stays.

Can the cones/bearings on those hubs be compressed...the thing is at 130mm right now. How do I make it back to 135mm. I can get the non drive side axle cone off, but the drive side axle cone won't come off without something to keep the axle from spinning.

Anyone seen this. Any suggestions? Thanks.

glyphic bacon
    First, there are removable, thick (about ~3/16" thick) aluminum "washers" that slide over the axle ends and provide spacing between the bearing "cones" on each side (the threaded aluminum thing with wrench flats on it that screws onto the axle and butts up against the bearing). These washers/spacers are removable and can easily fall off and be lost or misplaced. Make sure they are on the hub's axle before reinstalling (one on each side). If they are not there, there will be insufficient clearance between the hub and the dropouts.

But if the washers are there and you still have the low clearance problem, the hub position can be adjusted so that the freewheel is sufficiently away from the dropout. Its a little hard to explain, but basically you have to loosen up (or remove) the cones from both sides, insert the allen head axle bolts in the axle. Using a plastic headed mallet, rap on the axle side opposite of the freewheel. This will drive the axle through the hub and toward the side of the freewheel. Dont overdo it because the freewheel clearance between the dropout is not very much, maybe 3/16" or so on my bike (that's for the chrome outer part of the freewheel). After you have driven the axle to the desired position, make sure you haven't pushed the freewheel side axle bearing out of its socket. Make sure it is still basically in place. Then reinstall the cones and screw them in until they just make contact with the bearings (do NOT tighten them with a wrench). Then back them off about 1/2 turn each. Then give a few sharp raps with the mallet on both sides of the axle (this ensures the bearings are not bound between the hub and/or cones).

Then reinstall and check. You may have to do it over again a few times to get it right, but if the previously described washers are there, then you should end up with about 3/16" of dropout space between the outer chrome part of the freewheel, and about half that between the inner freewheel tool prongs and the dropout. The clearance is pretty minimal, so don't expect there to be gobs of space.

Lastly, make sure someone hasn't put a bunch of freewheel spacing washers between the freewheel and the hub. Obviously this will further shift the freewheel towards the dropout, so make sure no one has put any in there. There are also chainline and hub binding issues with this bike you might want to know about...check the SISS/DISS reviews and the reviews on Spot hub for more details. And if you're missing the thick aluminum washers you can get them from Spot, along with anything else you may need (they have good cust support).

Good luck...

Quote Originally Posted by qtip
    My buddy was excited to see his first SS show up last night. He went with a Bianchi SISS, slightly used. He brought it over to my place for the build. As we were putting the rear wheel in the track ends, I noticed over 5mm of space between the frame dropout and the axle end. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the drive side axle end was not even sticking out as far as the freewheel prongs. So when the axle is bolted down all the way, the prongs rest on the inside of the drive side fork end. I put a spacer on the drive side axle, but that put the disc within a mm on the non-drive side seat/chain stays.

Can the cones/bearings on those hubs be compressed...the thing is at 130mm right now. How do I make it back to 135mm. I can get the non drive side axle cone off, but the drive side axle cone won't come off without something to keep the axle from spinning.

Anyone seen this. Any suggestions? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Do these washers sit in between the cartrige bearing and the threaded aluminum piece with wrench flats? So you would have to remove the threaded aluminum piece for the washer to fall off?

I checked and double checked for freewheel spacers and found none.

He said he worked on it a bit more last night and got it close, but was still unable to remove the threaded 'cone' on the drive side to align the bearings in the hub.

What I'm thinking happened was the previous owner over tightened the threaded 'cones' and in the process pushed the bearings further in the hub shell, shortening the hub spacing. Now I think he just needs to get that drive side threaded 'cone' loosened so he can move the cartrige bearing out into its proper place so the spacing will be back to normal. Does this make sense?

glyphic bacon
    Do these washers sit in between the cartrige bearing and the threaded aluminum piece with wrench flats? So you would have to remove the threaded aluminum piece for the washer to fall off?
    No, the aluminum washers go between the threaded aluminum piece with wrench flats and the dropout. You do not have to remove the threaded alum piece to get to them. They are clearly visible from the outside, and when installed they almost cover the axle altogether (so that only a small portion of the axle is protruding out of the washer). And the washers can fall off, although they usually have a light press fit over the axle ends (sometimes a light tug with pliers is needed to pop them off).

I checked and double checked for freewheel spacers and found none.
    Thats good, at least you dont have to worry about that then.

He said he worked on it a bit more last night and got it close, but was still unable to remove the threaded 'cone' on the drive side to align the bearings in the hub.
    Try rapping on the non-drive side's axle to push the axle toward the drive side threaded cone (the stuck one). This will move the cone away from the bearing and hopefully free it up to the point where he can loosen it.

What I'm thinking happened was the previous owner over tightened the threaded 'cones' and in the process pushed the bearings further in the hub shell, shortening the hub spacing. Now I think he just needs to get that drive side threaded 'cone' loosened so he can move the cartrige bearing out into its proper place so the spacing will be back to normal. Does this make sense?
    The main thing is to get those thick aluminum washers, or maybe rig something up with regular washers you might find at the hardware store...or I dont know, maybe a good bike store might have something like that (especially a BMX bike store). Otherwise get on the horn to Spot and have them send you a set.

In the meantime I wouldn't fool too much with the hub pushing the axle one way or the other. Without the washers you will probably not get the hub centered properly, and you absolutely need those washers, so you might as well wait until you have the right parts before trying. Once you get everything together and futz with it a bit, it'll go together ok. Its actually a good hub, just a bit finicky to get setup right at first...after that, smooth sailing. And when it comes time to get the bearings properly positioned/seated etc, look at the info provided (directly from Spot) on the mtbr.com reviews for the Spot hub. If you follow these instructions, it'll all work out.

Good luck, let me know if you need anything else.
    Last edited by Ziggy-Stardust; 04-23-2004 at 06:57 PM.