mtbr member

Spot Honey Badger SS

anyone riding this frame? I am curious and its on my shortlist of possible new frames but am not finding a lot of info on the web about it.

Spot Brand Bicycles » Product Page » Honey Badger SS
    Surly Karate Monkey, SNGLSPD
    Surly Puglsey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy29er View Post
    anyone riding this frame? I am curious and its on my shortlist of possible new frames but am not finding a lot of info on the web about it.

Spot Brand Bicycles » Product Page » Honey Badger SS
    Very pricey for that level of spec. For a couple hundred bux more you can get a 2014 Trek EX 8 29er, fully suspended on Fox front and rear, with a nicer spec all around.

Not a SS, I know, but still, at this price point, a valid comparison of "opportunity cost" of dollars spent. Plus, I am kinda "meh" on belt drive, personally.
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member

Spot Honey Badger SS

Nothing wrong with it per say but I wouldn't drop $2500 on it. For $1500 you could get a Waltworks custom frame and have $1000 to build it out. You could end up with something much nicer with some smart purchases imo. Especially if you bought at least some of your parts from Walt. Also you would know exactly what you were getting as far as tubing. Not just some "Japanese Proprietary" tubing. Whatever that may be? Just my $.02

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm saving for one myself.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I agree with Poison Dart Frog and Flat Ark. I have always thought that Spot made some nice stuff, but that it always seemed at a higher than expected price point. If this bike ticks all the right boxes for you, I'm sure you would be pleased. I just personally don't see any value in their offerings.

mtbr member
    I am a fan of the company and own one of their bikes. I personally have seen that their initial MSRP always tends high but actual costs, including buying direct, seems to drop pretty quickly. If you held your breath til the off season you would probably save a bunch.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark View Post
    Nothing wrong with it per say but I wouldn't drop $2500 on it. For $1500 you could get a Waltworks custom frame and have $1000 to build it out. You could end up with something much nicer with some smart purchases imo. Especially if you bought at least some of your parts from Walt. Also you would know exactly what you were getting as far as tubing. Not just some "Japanese Proprietary" tubing. Whatever that may be? Just my $.02
    Agreed...........................................
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

The Next 100 Miler
    So, when is the end of the season for Spot? I'm checking their website & FB page, but no advertised discounts yet. My local dealer is still at MSRP.

mtbr member
    The one I tried was built on a 8-9-10 cassette freehub. Not sure if belt drive requires such a hub, but imo major fail. $2500 for an inferior rear wheel configuration?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    That is a ton of money for a bike with a cheap fork and wheelset with generic tubing. Wait until they blow them out on chainlove like they did with all their longboards.
    Do you want this bike because of the belt drive? If I were you I would look on the secondary market used or look for a salsa el mariachi. Much better value

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have a new Honey Badger, nice SS. The ride is great in spite of a low end fork. The belt is very smooth but it squeaks under load when pedaling. Dry Teflon lube will silence it for 10-15 miles, then it needs another shot to keep it quiet. Overall I love the bike.
    Last edited by harradm; 12-06-2013 at 07:17 AM.

blet drive
    How long have you had the belt drive? And is it set up properly?aw my belt makes no noise
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    Very pricey for that level of spec. For a couple hundred bux more you can get a 2014 Trek EX 8 29er, fully suspended on Fox front and rear, with a nicer spec all around.

Not a SS, I know, but still, at this price point, a valid comparison of "opportunity cost" of dollars spent. Plus, I am kinda "meh" on belt drive, personally.
    Yes................................and definitely meh on belt drive, it's a cool idea that doesn't seem to be as hot in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Ark View Post
    X2
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLEKID5 View Post
    How long have you had the belt drive? And is it set up properly?aw my belt makes no noise
    I've had it for about a month. 4 rides at about 15 miles each. Always have belt squeeling before the end of the ride. Not horrible but it's there and others riding with me hear it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Update: was using a dry Teflon lube before, switched to a recommended Dry silicone spray and have 50 more miles ridden and a very silent belt.

One Colorful Rider
    Hope to Throw a Leg over one soon!

Rogue Exterminator
    Picked myself up one a couple weeks ago and have a few rides on it. Awesome bike and fun to ride. Very happy with my choice.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Price dropped 500 bucks on Bikes and 300 on frames , I just bought an XL from a Vendor on E Bay complete with a second set of Gates pulleys and Belt (Taller gear) , Extra wheelset with big nubby Cyclocross Kenda's for City use. should have it covered in a 10 minute change out. They are using a Better Manitou Tower shock now too.

Rogue Exterminator
    They were actually $1700 a few months ago with the Tower Comp on Ebay.
    They were $1800 at the local dealer but he matched the price.
    Came with Manitou Comp also.

Still a good score, you will love the ride.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I just got it paid 1850.00 shipped for a 2014 and have 150.00 in the Extra pulleys / belt and second stock wheel set the extra parts were slightly used .
    Stoked for my first Single Speed should have it in a week or so.