Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Spot Brand Components?? any good, review, feedback

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  wv_bob 
#1 ·
Hi all-
I see that Spot Brand makes a bunch of SS specific components- is their stuff any good? I have not seen any reviews or threads (if there are, please point me in the correct direction). I ask because my latest SS purchase has Spot cranks and hubs and want to know about'em (i haven't received the bike yet.... it is still with FedEx).
Thanks
drMP

#2 ·
The Spot cranks that came on my longboard are private-branded FSAs that don't have the granny gear bolt holes drilled or tapped. The bottom bracket lasted through exactly one muddy ride. The Spot bashguard bent one day. I went to move the chainring on to another crank, and the thing has a non-standard spider and won't fit.

The Spot stem that came on it uses a funky shim on the steerer tube so you can move the stem up and down without loosening the pre-load on the headset. Kind of neat, but a solution in search of a problem IMO.

No experience with the hubs.

#4 ·
Spot Brand components are JUNK! Ugh.

I'm replying to my own post. After several months of hard riding, I've had the Spot Brand hub seize and the crank arm come lose on the spindle! BUT i was able to ride home :) I'm not that big (160lbs, 6'1") either. Before i got the bike, the previous owner replace the front wheel so it makes me wonder if that one seized too... Long time ago i replaced the bottom bracket since that seized too.

Conclusion: Spot Brand components are junk! Avoid.
-drMP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.