Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Spiderless cranks and intended use

Sorry if the title makes no sense. Out of curiosity I'm trying to get a handle on whether manufacturers of spiderless chainring-capable cranks are aware of, or support, the use of spiderless chainrings.

When looking at product descriptions of cranks with removable spiders (well OK, just Truvative) I notice that they don't seem to try to emphasize, note or promote the fact that the spiders are removable. It would seem that for may consumers this would be a selling point that could cause them to choose one crank over another.

Also, that there seem to be so few sources of spiderless rings suggests that spiderless use is not something that crank manufacturers are keen to encourage. Does this ring true (no pun intended), or are there other aspects to spiderless chainring supply and demand?

Also, exactly how safe are spiderless chainrings (which seem to be a bit of an improvisation) compared to standart bolt on cranks? Just wondering about all this since I started reading about spiderless while trying to see if I could get a < 32 tooth chainring.
    Last edited by tuvok; 10-20-2012 at 04:35 PM.

COTA member
    Been riding an X7 crank with a 32T HBC spiderless chain ring all year with out any problems. Don't see any downside.

The need for singlespeed
    The crank, rings, and bearings all see the same forces regardless of whether chainring bolts are present. Spiderless is no less safe and actually more reliable since there are fewer parts to come loose or fail, and it's a little lighter as well. There are many instances in which this industry has lead us away from perfectly adequate designs in order to maintain profitability (sorry for the cynicism).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My White Industries Eno crank has been very solid,
    chain ring has held up great with little wear with
    over a 1000 miles on it, no more chain ring bolts
    to check and it minimizes uneven chain tension.
    Crank is coupled with Phil Wood BB for a very
    smooth drive train.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonecrow View Post
    My White Industries Eno crank has been very solid,
    chain ring has held up great with little wear with
    over a 1000 miles on it, no more chain ring bolts
    to check and it minimizes uneven chain tension.
    Crank is coupled with Phil Wood BB for a very
    smooth drive train.
    Very nice, is that an HBC ring (looking for alternate sources)? Edit: Just checked out the White Industries site and see its a chainring of their own design.

Quote Originally Posted by zaskaranddriver View Post
    There are many instances in which this industry has lead us away from perfectly adequate designs in order to maintain profitability (sorry for the cynicism).
    No need to apologize. Just seems that in this case there is an opportunity for manufacturers to run with this and provide a useful product, but it seems that only a few vendors have noticed this so choice is limited.
    Last edited by tuvok; 10-22-2012 at 07:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Profile NoBoss cranks
    Profile Spline Drive chainwheel

Solid, clean, super easy to set up and looks great! I have this setup on my Karate Monkey, wish I had pics of it assembled!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Spiderless cranks and intended use-100_1353.jpg  

My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Here is my set up. I am actually surprised SRAM does not make a spider less ring their own.
    Spiderless cranks and intended use-imageuploadedbytapatalk1351061612.949121.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Damn.......y'all are making me go google more stuff to buy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm running X0 cranks with a hbc ring on my Ragley TD:1 and I just orfered some MRP spiderless rings for a set of X7s I have laying around. The X0 crank, ring and bb come in at 586grams.

The need for singlespeed
    I guess that's about 10 or 20g lighter than crazy8's SS-modded and tuned M960 crankset?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ferros View Post
    Here is my set up. I am actually surprised SRAM does not make a spider less ring their own.
    This is also what I was thinking. Makes me think they designed the spiderless interface with some other purpose in mind.

nothing to see here
    It makes sense to me that a manufacturer would go for a spiderless set-up, especially when they're making carbon cranks. Spindle interfaces need to be alloy and it would be cheaper to design for spiderless than to design and manufacture a carbon wrapped one piece spider/crank. It also gives them the option of utilising spiders for 2x & 3x cranksets without needing to redesign the whole crank. Now they still have the option of going 1x on the same crank, without extensive devolopment costs, which they will, especially given the introduction of XX1. No doubt that they were probably involved with MRP and their design. Sram will probably release something better looking soon because quite frankly, the MRP looks "out of place" with that grey colour and the shape of the chainring arms.

As with most designs, the basis is usually cost driven.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What I find strange is that the xx1 is spiderless and uses a spider and chain ring set up.

The need for singlespeed
    They did that to facilitate chainring swappage. Yes, swappage. Gotta take the whole crankset off to swap spiderless chainwheels. And the torque spec on that 8mm retaining bolt is 416-478 in-lbs. Try that with a 4" allen key!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    So are there any other sources of spiderless chainrings? Experimental Prototype in Sweden just announced they won't be making rings any more...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    MRP just got in a new batch of rings. Mine were shipped out 2 days ago.

Who else makes then? Besides HBC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The bling-rings are sweet, thanks for sharing the link! Makes me want to go out a buy a sram crank.

Anyone want to buy an LX (spiderless) crank 175mm?

Ok, so there's HBC and MRP (SRAM only). EP is out. Any more suppliers i.e. for Shimano?

The need for singlespeed
    Maybe tehan will save the day?

mtbr member
    Is it possible to buy just the X0 left and right crank arms instead of buying the entire cranks set. I would love to go with a spiderless setup and use a 30 tooth upfront.

Erik

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Click Click Boom View Post
    ...The X0 crank, ring and bb come in at 586grams.
    That's a very impressive weight. 28t?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I miss quoted. That's the X0 cranks with a hbc 28t with a press fit bb when it was on my Lurcher. Its now on my ragley with a 32t hbc ring and a chris king bb. Its around 635 grams with its current set up.

nothing to see here
    still very light
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Mulleticious
    Apologies for this resurrection -

Quote Originally Posted by ferros View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351061612.949121.jpg 
Views:	3340 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	732856
    Seriously thinking about using this SRAM X0 set-up as it's the lightest (but strong and tough) SS splined crankset I can think of. Does anyone know where I can buy just the cranks without the spider and rings, and then a decent bling ring to go on the cranks? (in the UK... ??)

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If you have a BB already you might want to look into getting the XX1 crankset. Sell the spider to offset some of the cost and then getting the MRP bling ring or the NSB chain ring since the XX1 crankset can be had for about $240 new(without BB) whereas the X0 stuff usually cost a bit more than that.
    I'm actually building my first SS and should be receiving my XX1 crankset and 30T bling ring in a couple of days.
    I will take some pictures and report back when I get it but there is another thread where others have tried this set up and been pretty happy with it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast