bob
    mtbr member

Spicer Ti or Vulture steel?

Spicer Ti or Vulture steel? That is the question. Both frames are about the same price. Some have bashed Chinese Ti, others say it's no problem and don't like steel. What do you think?

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Spicer Ti or Vulture steel? That is the question. Both frames are about the same price. Some have bashed Chinese Ti, others say it's no problem and don't like steel.

What do you think?
    Here is my $.02. I was in the same dilemma. I chose the Spice. Boy was I wrong. The serivce is great, but I broke 2 frames in 8 months. My first frame arrived and it was beautiful. I rode it for about 8 weeks or so when i noticed a crack in the weld on the underside of the downtube/headtube. So i called Gene and he was great. I sent the frame and 8 weeks later I had a brand new, beefed up frame. Less than 3 months i broke the new frame in the same place. The welds on both bike were horrible and ugly, the material seemed to be ok.

I was running the frames with an 80mm fox fork, so it wasn't rigid. Just remember, you get what you pay for. I have a $350 KHS Solo-One that rides great. I have never had any direct experience with Vulture, but hear only good things.

Steamroller

Steel gets my vote

Spicer Ti or Vulture steel? That is the question. Both frames are about the same price. Some have bashed Chinese Ti, others say it's no problem and don't like steel. What do you think?
    But what do I know, I've never owned or even ridden a Ti bike. I guess with steel being so nice, I've never felt the need to try a Ti frame. I satisfy my need for Ti with select parts.
    [SIZE=2]Two Wheeled and Too Big[/SIZE]

The Top Cap Guy
    I was pretty much in the same boat as you 2 years ago when I took the plunge... I was down to Spot, Vulture, and Spicer. The price of the Spicer Ti is SO TEMPTING. I knew the Vulture would be nice - never heard a bad thing about any of them and Wade is super nice to talk with. Spot was a little more difficult to to contact and get answers from they kind of eliminated themselves with the customer service I received (others have had great things with them - just didn't work out for me). I ended up going with the Spicer Ti Ebb - for the cost vs weight vs material. I'd never had a Ti bike before and wanted that.... I pretty much picked every dimension on the bike... and it came in almost about a pound lighter than the steel Vulture I was considering. I've ridden mine rigid for 2 years now and not had any issues at all with it so far. I'm a Clydesdale also... about 210-215 in riding gear.

Now with all the new cool Vulture stuff (Some of those rear drop outs are gorgeous) and the paint options I'm not sure I'd done the same... maybe because I like change ... but not due to worries about the quality of the bike I have.

Hope this helps some...
    Thanks
    FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

I like to ride bikes!

Just got a Spicer a couple weeks ago...

So far I'm 100% happy with the choice. I too looked at a bunch of steel builders. I'm a TI lover and this is my third TI bike. I really like the lack of paint and its timeless look. It's ride qualities are fine. I'm happy with the weld quality on the Spicer. Spicers service was great. I'm only 130 lbs and I'm not a big drop kinda rider, so I really dont think I'll break it. Also the Spicer TI fork is the cats meow for me. Its so light and so supple. Its kinda like having a mini travel squishy fork! The photo is of the day I put it together. I have since trimmed the fork!

The Top Cap Guy
    Here are the recent pics of mine - yep changed the Spicer Ti Fork out for a Pace... I'm hanging on to the Spicer fork for a bit - want to see if the ride is any different - just in the driveway the Pace seems to bee stiffer..... give me a month... I just got it installed in time for a weeks worth of rain... I need a Pugsley so I can still ride....lol

FF
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

mtbr member

All I can say is

You can't go wrong with a Vulture !
    Wade is a super groovy cool dude who builds a mean SS.
    His bikes are built for punishment and have a certain unique style and he has great customer service...Especially if you come to Orygun to pick it up and ride with him...
    Jefe' ( Vulture Pimp )
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Vulture

you know you want it. Wade'll make the frame sing and Derrick makes it sizzle!

bike ON
    bob
    owner of candyapple red Vulture, luscious!
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

bob
    mtbr member

Spicer is out. DeSalvo in?

The Spicer is out of the running. I like the DeSalvo better but it is allot more money. But hey, it's still cheaper than an IF, Seven, or Sycip Ti right?

I'm still on the fence about a Vulture though. It would be much less than the DeSalvo, but the problem is I can't think of a good paint scheme. I wonder what could be done with white? No, I'm not kidding...white. Could the flame thing be done using regular white for a base color and pearl white for the flames or maybe reverse that? What about some kind of iridescent paint? Anyone have any suggestions?

meatier showers

Vulture

... I'm still on the fence about a Vulture though. It would be much less than the DeSalvo, but the problem is I can't think of a good paint scheme. I wonder what could be done with white? No, I'm not kidding...white. Could the flame thing be done using regular white for a base color and pearl white for the flames or maybe reverse that? What about some kind of iridescent paint? Anyone have any suggestions?
    Vulture was my choice two and a half years ago and Vulture is still my choice today. I'm a very satisfied Vulture rider.

Yes, Derrick at Vulture is a wizard with paint and he can do amazing things. At '03 Interbike I saw a gold-on-gold flame job on a Co-Motion tandem that Derrick painted -- the execution was flawless and the effect was stunning. Wreckless recently got a new Vulture SS frame (hers is not built up yet); it glows in the dark, but you'd never guess this during the day when it masquerades as a striking custom multidimensional ocean blue ripple wave scheme -- beautifully awesome.

Dream it... Derrick will paint it.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Spicer is out of the running. I like the DeSalvo better but it is allot more money. But hey, it's still cheaper than an IF, Seven, or Sycip Ti right?

I'm still on the fence about a Vulture though. It would be much less than the DeSalvo, but the problem is I can't think of a good paint scheme. I wonder what could be done with white? No, I'm not kidding...white. Could the flame thing be done using regular white for a base color and pearl white for the flames or maybe reverse that? What about some kind of iridescent paint? Anyone have any suggestions?
    Don't the Vultures run for $ 1025?

The Desalvo custom would be around $ 1175 no?

Not that much of a savings.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by New2SS

Hope its cool to jump in, FYI, frames are $900(gotta change the website) no more up charge for ebb or discs or whatever, Paint can bring the price up if it gets elaborate. We are looking at about 8-10 weeks these days for turnaround. Oh yeah summer has hit the Oregon high desert, surely time to be in the hills next to 17 waterfalls on north fork of tumalo creek.
    cheers, Wade

Squalor
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by New2SS

I think he means DeSalvo Ti....

My question is why not Vulture Ti? That would be one hot bike!

Also you may want to take a look at Strong and Black Sheep for nice relatively affordable ti frames.

Good luck with your decision

LP

Drinkin' Buddy

I would go for the vulture, 'cause I love mine

I have a two years old plus vulture and I love it. I met Wade on the first Harmonic Convergence (thanks Bob!) and was really impressed by his frame, his handmade bull-moose bar-stem combo, and his attitude about riding. I saved up my sheckels and ordered my bike less about nine months later. It has been over two years now and the frame has delivered everything I asked for. Good in the tight twisties up here in the rooty muddy Pac Northwet. I just keep hoping the powdercoat chips off so I can send it back for one of Derrick's kick-ass paint jobs. Go out ot Bend, OR to visit Wade and Derrick if you can. Or better yet, come out to Barbie Camp in the fall to meet a whole wake of Vultures and ride.
    Got Beer?

mtbr member
    vulturecycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Papi
    how about a link to your site?
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vulture
    Hope its cool to jump in, FYI, frames are $900(gotta change the website) no more up charge for ebb or discs or whatever, Paint can bring the price up if it gets elaborate. We are looking at about 8-10 weeks these days for turnaround. Oh yeah summer has hit the Oregon high desert, surely time to be in the hills next to 17 waterfalls on north fork of tumalo creek.
    cheers, Wade
    how about a link to your site?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    after riding both which fork do you prefer? the spicer ti or the pace? I'm about to pull the trigger on either a dean or the spicer and need to decide which fork to end up with.