mtbr member

Spend My Money! (Drivetrain X-Post)

Drivetrain X-Post: Spend My Money!

Spend my money! Give your own pocketbooks a break for a bit and use your knowledge to help me make some wise purchases.

I need a new crankset (and bottom bracket) and chainring for my singlespeed. I am a big boy, I ride very very hard, and I trash cranksets, particularly those with square taper interfaces. For these reasons, my first priority is durability and I want a bashring. I want to install the components (I have access to any necessary tools) and forget about them for as long as possible. With those things being said, I would prefer to avoid dramatic overkill - like all of you, I am looking first for the options that will be durable enough, but do not want to add a bunch of unnecessary weight to my bike. I want 175mm arms and my bottom bracket shell is standard. My budget for all of these components (cranks, bottom bracket, chainring, and bashring) is $160, including shipping. Keep in mind this is for a singlespeed drivetrain.

I know it sounds like I want it all, but you all are considering all of these same factors in researching your own purchases. Just frame your knowledge with a budget. I am just looking for the best option in my price range. So, if you could recommend the combination of products (prices would be awesome, links to specific retailers would be even better), that would be very helpful. I have been doing tons of research and I just cannot seem to figure out what my best option is, and I am ready to just take an informed recommendation and be through with it.

For what it is worth, I will also be allowing myself a $40 budget for a new chain and a new cog, if you have any recommendations for those, also.

Thank you very much.

(I found this deal on a Shimano SLX M665 Crankset, with a bashring, for $150:

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...Bash-Guard.htm

This is an option I am considering. Would I need to/would it be wise to replace the chainring?

I am also not opposed to picking up an XT Crankset ($180 on eBay) and selling the rings to bring the price back into my budget. I am just not sure I would be able to sell the rings easily. Any thoughts?)

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I think the SLX is a better option than XT anyways. Also, the stock bash is kinda heavy. Replace it and it won't weigh much more than XT anyways.

You can also probably pick up some previous generation Hones or Saints for really cheap. Yeah, they're pretty heavy, but I doubt you'll break em.

meatier showers
    The SLX sounds like it's ready to do battle, and it's within your budget. Might not be after you buy a new SS ring, tho... and yes you should.

As for chain and cog, I'm a fan of Sram 8-spd chains and quality steel cogs. Surly comes to mind, but they're heavy. At least you won't have to replace them often.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response! It does sound like the SLX set will be tough enough for me, and it also sounds like it is not too heavy - a bit heavier than some setups, for sure, but not absurdly overweight. Although I have read some negative feedback on this site about the four-bolt design. Is that something I should worry about?

If so, is there a comparable five-bolt set you would recommend? If not, what ring would you recommend using with this set? Surly? Salsa? I am not worried about a little extra weight in my rings - getting good quality components that will last is certainly more important to me than saving a few grams.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    I am also wondering if I could get comparable strength from a Deore or LX set, perhaps at a lower price. Something like this perhaps:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=7768

mtbr member

Go for the LX

I have been running the LX with a blackspire chainring and Race Face bash ring for almost two years now. I don't claim to be a "big" guy but I definitely mash on those things and have not even had the BB go out yet. Solid crank in my opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've never had a single speed before, but I just read a bunch of threads on mtbr and starting ordering parts for mine. I ordered a 185mm Profile Racing crankset and 'euro' bottom bracket. It was about $125 for the crankset and $35 for the bottom bracket so it'd squeeze your budget pretty good even without including the chainwheel. However, I just spotted this deal on a 180mm profile crankset on Jenson's "outlet store" for $87.50, in natural or red finish:
    http://jensonusa.com/store/product/Z...Crank+Set.aspx
    So, $87.50 for crankset+$35 for the BB is $120, which'd leave $40 for the chainwheel. That's about how much BMX chainwheels go for, this site has tons of options to choose from:
    http://www.danscomp.com/products.php...ow=Chainwheels

I don't know enough to be an evangelist, but if you do a search on 'profile cranks' you should find the threads I've been reading up on, and you can decide if it's something you want to try.

- Miles

PS: BMX style cranks don't use a MTB style chainring, instead they use a 'chainwheel' that has a hole in the center the spindle goes through, and a single bolt hole to hold it to the drive-side crank arm. I've no idea if that's advantageous, but it's certainly unusual, and it'll look pretty 'bling' with all the anodized Al colors they have to choose from.

mtbr member
    Might be worth it to call Full Cycles and see if they have any of those Hone Cranks left that they were blowing out for $79.00. If you've got a bashguard laying about, all you'd need is a SS chainring, and you'd be golden for probably closer to $100.00 leaving $50.00 left over for more beer purchases.

mtbr member
    As far as the XT option goes, I can buy an M770 (or M771) set for about $190:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=20679
    How much could I sell the rings for? Is it pretty easy to find a buyer for rings?

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    Might be worth it to call Full Cycles and see if they have any of those Hone Cranks left that they were blowing out for $79.00. If you've got a bashguard laying about, all you'd need is a SS chainring, and you'd be golden for probably closer to $100.00 leaving $50.00 left over for more beer purchases.
    RIght here.......

http://www.fullcycles.com/product_in...oducts_id/1348

Shimano Hone Crankset with Bottom Bracket $169.77 $79.77

On Sale For a Limited Time! We have a small pile of extra Shimano Hone cranksets that we need to find homes for! They are all 175mm arms and 22/32/44 rings. All new and all include Shimano BB's. These will fit almost any mountain bike out there.

Limited to stock on hand

Cranks do not include boxes.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...