bob
    mtbr member

Spend my $1,500!

I recently sold one of my squishy bikes and now have $1,500 to play with. I have an aluminum SS but would like to dive into something realy nice. It's not often I have bike money like this to play with free and clear. I have most of the parts I need so I can throw all of the money into a frame or maybe a frame and fork.

Considerations right now are DeSalvo Ti, IF steel, Sycip steel. OR I could go with Dean Scout or cheaper steel frame and have money left over for a fork and King headset.

What do you think?

mtbr member

thats a lot

Quote Originally Posted by bob
    I recently sold one of my squishy bikes and now have $1,500 to play with. I have an aluminum SS but would like to dive into something realy nice. It's not often I have bike money like this to play with free and clear. I have most of the parts I need so I can throw all of the money into a frame or maybe a frame and fork.

Considerations right now are DeSalvo Ti, IF steel, Sycip steel. OR I could go with Dean Scout or cheaper steel frame and have money left over for a fork and King headset.

What do you think?
    I would go with steel, and then get a king headset, a kick-ass fork, and a sweet paint-job. but thats just my opinion

bob
    mtbr member

domperdo3

Thanks for the advice. That's just what I'm looking for. Any steel mnfct you would recomend? I would love to get just as nice of a steel frame as an IF or Sycip and have money left over for a King headset and White Bros XC.8.

King Pin

Good job! Retro

Bob, How'za bout a Retrotec? Just recently ordered one up for Momma, she's itching with anticipation! Her's will be painted same colour as this one, belonging to Francois.

You'll have enough left over for the King HS and 1/2 the fork, anyway!

Thanks for the advice. That's just what I'm looking for. Any steel mnfct you would recomend? I would love to get just as nice of a steel frame as an IF or Sycip and have money left over for a King headset and White Bros XC.8.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

thats easy

Vulture

full on custom and paint it YOUR way. Wade makes a magic frame and Derrick paints it beautiful. Makes me even wash my Vulture from time to time just to see the paint.

thats what I think

bob
    red-haze
    The more I know the more I know I don't know.
    Let the bike ride the trail, you ride the bike.
    Look where you want to go, not where you don't want to go.

Probably drunk right now

I 2nd the Retrotec

Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Bob, How'za bout a Retrotec? Just recently ordered one up for Momma, she's itching with anticipation! Her's will be painted same colour as this one, belonging to Francois.

You'll have enough left over for the King HS and 1/2 the fork, anyway!
    Great bikes, built exactly the way you want them. Here were my requirements:

Would not:

- Hang on a wall in a garage, collecting dust.

Would:

- Be derbied.
    - Ghost ridden
    - Urban assualted
    - Taken off 2-3 foot drops
    - Rip singletrack
    - Be painted like a Guinness

And here's what Curtis gave me. It looks a little different now. It has a Marzocchi Marathon SL on the front, ODI grips and a set of Speeddream wheels (vs. the Mavic XLs).

I've been riding it for over 2 years and I'm still in love with this bike. Every time I get on and ride it, I think to myself what a great bike I have. Thanks, Curtis.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    You can send it to my landlord to pay my rent

mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Neg reppers r my biatches
    simply go to vegas and put it all on "red" at the roulette table and then you can go straight to a Ti frame and have money left over...

mtbr member

wow, thats a beautiful bike. same with the red one above yours.

so whats with these retrotec bikes? i dont know much abou them, they look like they are ready for the beach but the tires look like they are ready for the mud. does the geometry of the frame sit you back, or are they agressive bikes?

King Pin

Good job! Yep

Retrotec (actually Curtis Inglis of Inglis Bike Co.) will build anything you want!

The bicycle destined for abuse by me esposa will look just like those other two! Lightweight Columbus/and or some other nice tubes, built to "race spec". Her frame will have the geometry to suit the use of a 5" suspenson fork (she says "NO!!!") and or the Surly Instigator fork (painted to match) that I sent in with the payment. My wife hates the sussy word....I've taught her well??

Her frame will be specifically designed to run a Midge or Mary bar. Canti only.

Quote Originally Posted by messofzero

so whats with these retrotec bikes? i dont know much abou them, they look like they are ready for the beach but the tires look like they are ready for the mud. does the geometry of the frame sit you back, or are they agressive bikes?
    Last edited by xrmattaz; 07-08-2005 at 12:04 PM.

King Pin

Good job! Fork ends

Ken, only change I made to Cindy's frame was the use of proper Sub11 fork ends for the rear. I am so absolutely done with EBBs. Hate 'em, don't like 'em, don't ride the Sofa King much any more because of one. Solve the "creak" problem, and I'll recover.

Give me simple. (and please talk to Cindy 'bout that dark red/cream......I don't like it.....she does).

British Racing Green?? Burnt Orange??

It's her bike though!

ahb
    zoip.
    Apr 2005
    yeah, I just saw a straight-tubed inglis road frame back from the painter. total art-bike with painted logos instead of decals. gorgeous.

curtis' website isn't up to date. email him and see if he'll send you pics of one of the recent retrotecs with the twin top tubes that turn into the seatstays and the beauty tube underneath. sooooo sweet.

Probably drunk right now
    Quote Originally Posted by messofzero

Curtis Inglis of Inglis Cycles builds them. They are spec'd for the rider but in general, they have modern mountain biking geometry. I think mine is pretty laid back but a couple of people who've ridden it think it's a race oriented geometry. I don't agree but it doesn't really matter what it's called because it absolutely rips on singletrack. It's stable, handles well, climbs well and descends great. It damn near stands up by itself it's balanced so well.

xrmattaz: 1st, there's no way you're going to talk me in to trying to convince Cindy to change her mind on color. I don't want the supply of tasty gormet sandwiches to come to an end. You're on your own here, my friend. Although I'm partial to my Guinness colored bike, I think the flames are cool too. And Orange. Everybody knows that orange bikes are fast.

Regarding the EBB creak: It was driving me absolutely nuts. I could not get rid of it. In fact, I asked about it here. There were a bunch of different suggestions but the one that ultimately worked for me was to take plumbers tape and wrap the EBB with that, carefully place it in the BB shell and tighten down. I haven't had a BB creak since I did this. I bought the bike before the ENO came out. If I were to do a SS now, I would use an ENO and a standard BB shell.

Ken

Inrideo est vita
    What kind of EBB's are you guys using that you have creaking problems?
    I'm using the Bushnell (new version) with no problems.
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

Probably drunk right now

I forgot the OEM's Name

Quote Originally Posted by SSteel
    What kind of EBB's are you guys using that you have creaking problems?
    I'm using the Bushnell (new version) with no problems.
    It has external bolts and basically pinches the EBB shell around the EBB. Unless the new version is over 2 years old, it's not the one I have. I don't have any creaking problems any more, so I'm not too worried about it.

Ken

34N 118W

lots

you'll have great luck with smaller steel builders like Vulture or Curtlo. And Vulture has wicked paint options. Both frames for under a grand and $$ leftover for new parts. Heck, my Curtlo F&F were under a grand. And, like me, just when you think you're Joe Badass with your fancy $1500 bike, you will hear "On your left!" from some guy riding a $400 Surly. Kinda puts in all in perspective

Be sure to check out the builder list in the SS FAQ up there, top-right of your screen.

Or, you could just go out and buy TWO steel Bianchis with beer money left over.

King Pin

Good job! Shriley

Harriwood,

Meant to post that same inspiration today!

I must say....the Ti Sofa King Ti King Pin Fixie/SS and the Santa Cruz Chameleon SS languish in the garage much more often than the Surly 1X1 does! There in lies six thousand dollars worth of SS/fixie goodness. The Shirley is perhaps worth seven hundred.

Yet, in fact, thinking just this morning about a rather long techy ride....the Surly fixie got the nod! I didn''t pick wrong. Honestly had the BEST ride of the season, so far.

Nothing wrong with an inexpensive steel frame! Usually my first choice from the stable. She has the nod again manana.

I love that lil' black girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    you'll have great luck with smaller steel builders like Vulture or Curtlo. And Vulture has wicked paint options. Both frames for under a grand and $$ leftover for new parts. Heck, my Curtlo F&F were under a grand. And, like me, just when you think you're Joe Badass with your fancy $1500 bike, you will hear "On your left!" from some guy riding a $400 Surly. Kinda puts in all in perspective

Be sure to check out the builder list in the SS FAQ up there, top-right of your screen.

Or, you could just go out and buy TWO steel Bianchis with beer money left over.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I am lusting for a Vulture myself. But at $ 1025, it wouldn't leave you that much $$ for parts.

Wandering not Lost

Strong racing frame...w/ bushnell EBB

go with carl....has the old ibis mojo and a great finish on the welds....always there to answer your questions....and offer advice....

I have a custom ti done by Carl, and I am in the process of building a custom steel 29'er

www.strongframes.com

Let go lightly

Blingtanium!

Blingtanium - Best frame material out there.
    Support trails, support access. Join IMBA and your local advocates - SVMTB. www.svmtb.org

To legit to quit
    Quote Originally Posted by CruzSS
    Blingtanium - Best frame material out there.
    lol that's good, i like that i'll have to use that.
    MySpace.com/DansJustChillin
    MySpace.com/DirtyBobbysBikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I heartily second the endorsement of the lowly 1x1 but will admit to some amount of manlove for the custom frames discussed here. I know four different folks on DeSalvo singlespeeds, 3 steel and 1 Ti and all are in absolute love with their rides. All 3 have dual suspension bikes that gather dust while they ride their SS's exclusively. I have seen those guys take those bikes fully rigid down rocky technical terrain with the greatest of ease.

Personally, there is just something about the Retrotecs that just calls to me from the first time I laid eyes on one. Just the coolest looking bikes I've seen out there and from what I've heard they ride like a dream. If I weren't giving up close to a frame a month in child support I'd already have me one of those.

34N 118W
    What do you think?
    I think I had as much fun for $1485 less