Thread: Speed Bursts

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Speed Bursts

I just built a Haro Mary SS 29er and have a 32:18 combo. I love the smoothness of the bike and really enjoy riding SS. I ride it on trials that are mainly flat but have lots of hills if I go off exploring. The gear works great for the hills and I dont want to change it, however on the flats I find myself making lots of quick bursts then cruising then bursting then cruising . I am not used to this and it feels strange (I ride more on road bikes anyway). I guess top speed is the only downside to the single speed bike. I would like to know what combos other people are using to get the most out of the bike on flat trial?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Spin spin spin, eventually you'll be able to build your riding skills and strength to change your gearing so you can still clean the climbs and hammer the flats.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    As a newcomer to SS'ing, with the particular trails in my area (Lancaster Pennsylvania) I choose to ride 32-16 for more technical trails but other than that I've ridden 32-14 without "too" much issue. I do a lot of urban "around the town" riding where 32-14 is perfect, so I bounce between the two gears depending on what I'm doing.

Even riding 32-14 as an amateur, if I have to walk up a hill, I've found in 90% of the case the same hills I walk up with SS I would walk up with a geared bike.

I know this because I converted my bike and ride the same trails. So I got a rhythm of what hills I would just suck it up and walk and what hills I could power up. After converting the exact same bike and riding the same exact trails, I'm finding if I just stand up, get a rhythm and power up, I can in most cases do half decently.

But at the end of the day, I'd rather run a ratio that's a bit harder, but I can go faster, as opposed to being able to go up hills easier yet spin-out on flats. And considering majority of the time I ride with 2 guys on geared bikes and I keep up and in some cases end up ahead of them, that's really not bad odds. Most of the time though, I'm the middle guy. The one guy I've ridden with has a rigid carbon bike. Lucky bastard barely has any weight to deal with. Haa!

human dehumidifier
    Dingle it - pair that 32-18 with a 34-16 and go crazy
    NFL will punish America for its sins with Katy Perry as the Super Bowl halftime show.