Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Specialized Carve SL SS - Weight Shaving?

So, picking up a Specialized Carve SL XXL Singlespeed to replace my C'dale Trail 3 singlespeed, as I am feeling too compact in the cockpit. Need to stretch out, and unless I go custom, the Specialized feels best. Given it's price point versus a custom frame, I feel like I have room to shave weight and still end up at just the same general cost of a custom frame.

Where to start shaving weight? Keeping in mind I am 6'7" barefoot and 235ish lbs naked...

1st up, Stan's ZTR Arch EX's. What's next?

Carbon bars?
    Carbon seat post?
    Carbon stem?
    Saddle?

What else?

What would you recommend, if this frame and fork were your starting point? Any point in new brakes to shave weight?

Thanks!
    Ben
    Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishrising View Post
    So, picking up a Specialized Carve SL XXL Singlespeed to replace my C'dale Trail 3 singlespeed, as I am feeling too compact in the cockpit. Need to stretch out, and unless I go custom, the Specialized feels best. Given it's price point versus a custom frame, I feel like I have room to shave weight and still end up at just the same general cost of a custom frame.

Where to start shaving weight? Keeping in mind I am 6'7" barefoot and 235ish lbs naked...

1st up, Stan's ZTR Arch EX's. What's next?

Carbon bars?
    Carbon seat post?
    Carbon stem?
    Saddle?

What else?

What would you recommend, if this frame and fork were your starting point? Any point in new brakes to shave weight?

Thanks!
    Ben
    Go for the carbon bar, maybe the stem.

I would pass on the seatpost at your weight/size...

SPP
    Rigid.

dying hurts.
    i've got my 19" down to 20lbs...
    arch ex wheelset w/ 3.30 hubs & super comp spokes
    enve sweep bar
    syntace p6 alloy seatpost
    syntace f109 75mm stem
    endless 20t cog
    esi extra chunky grips
    xt brakes w/ 180mm & 160mm ice tech xt rotors
    phenom expert 155mm saddle
    arundel carbon dave-o cage
    straitline seat collar
    shadow conspiracy headset bearing cap

mtbr member
    Haha, the Shadow headset cap is sweet, I have a Shadow HS on my BMX bike and I'm glad to see it on a MTB! That's a pretty stealthy looking bike, if I rode aluminum I would look into it!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member

So, what if you had over $1000USD in store credit at your LBS after the new bike and new Stan's Arch wheels, what would you go for? Again, given my weight and size...and wanting to shave weight with this frame/fork set...

And I already have a Garmin 800 and GoPro3.
    Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Are the Arch's enough wheel for 235#? I would think Flows. How about the Hope SS/Trial hub?

Guy your size could use a Easton Havoc 750 carbon bar, definitely upgrade the brakes with some of that credit, those like "johnny the boy" has on his ride would be great.

dying hurts.
    So, what if you had over $1000USD in store credit at your LBS after the new bike and new Stan's Arch wheels, what would you go for?
    another bike, duh!

mtbr member

Nah, not another bike. I'm good for now.

Arch weight limit might be too close, good point. I haven't ordered them yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Second vote on ditching the idea of arch ex rims. I hate to break this to you but you can't be a weight weenie when you weigh that much. I can't be one either. I tried and broke tons of stuff. I would get carbon bars but definitely pass on carbon stem and post. I would consider a titanium post for ride quality but not for huge weight savings.
    I would go for the wtb i23 rims on some nice beefy hubs. Hopes are nice!
    It's fun shaving weight off bikes but when it starts breaking it is no fun.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I am afraid that shaving a couple of pounds off a bike when you weigh 235, won't do a damn thing for you, except risk an unfortunate equipment break at a critical time.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member

All good points, so how about upgrading components to better quality components then?

Here is the list, outside of wheels:

Carbon bars
    XT brakes? Or other?

Any point to other headsets or bottom brackets?

Crank?

Or what about a squishy fork to be able to swap to?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    my xt brakes actually weighed more than the elixir1's i replaced.
    and i'm hefty also...i trust the arch ex rims.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Dropping two pounds of bike weight is not going to make your bike ride any better or increase the enjoyment of a day in the woods.

On the other hand, adding weight to your bike can often make riding more fun.

Places to add weight:
    1) Big Tires
    Roll some 2.4" tires for more off road capacity

2) Big bar ends and an aluminum bar
    Getting out on the horns feels good for climbing. Carbon bars often don't play well with big bar ends.

3) Quality "man-rated" parts
    A broken part on the trail is never much fun

4) Bigger ring / cog combo
    36/22 is nicer then 31/17 because it rolls better. Also, go with beefy rings, cogs, chain because that is where you transfer massive power.

You can often actually add 1 or 2 pounds and have a bike that rides better especially for bigger guys. With single speed you will often still be lighter than most geared dual suspension rigs.

GO BIG!
    Last edited by febikes; 05-04-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

mtbr member

My current SS is running ardent 2.4s and my moonlander is running 4.7s.

I will probably opt for Ardents on this too if they fit.

Will look at some of the other beefy stuff though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Definetly get Flows on some Hope (os similar) hubs. Use the extra coin to buy a few sets of nice tires and ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The Flow EX wheels would be much better or i23s on a good hub. Probably no weight savings but stronger and wider. especially on the Rigid SS if you run a wider rim your tires will have a wider profile and you can run lower pressure.

My XT brakes were only slightly less weight than the stock, but MUCH better, those Elixir 1s sucked! The Magura's are much lighter, if you're looking for weight savings.

The stock cranks aren't anything special and I added a set of RaceFace Turbine cranks which were lighter and stiffer.

a Thompson Seatpost will drop 100 grams and ride nicer.

Easton Havoc bars will be 60+ grams lighter and ride way better and be much wider!!!

Check out this Thread, lots of people with some upgrades here!
    2013 Carve SL (Singlespeed)

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Go for the carbon bar, maybe the stem.

I would pass on the seatpost at your weight/size...

SPP
    x2 but I would pass on stem too...good quality heavy duty cf bars like some Easton. Good quality aluminum or ti seatpost, cf stem spacers, KMC lightweight chain...
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by febikes View Post
    Dropping two pounds of bike weight is not going to make your bike ride any better or increase the enjoyment of a day in the woods.

On the other hand, adding weight to your bike can often make riding more fun.

Places to add weight:
    1) Big Tires
    Roll some 2.4" tires for more off road capacity

2) Big bar ends and an aluminum bar
    Getting out on the horns feels good for climbing. Carbon bars often don't play well with big bar ends.

3) Quality "man-rated" parts
    A broken part on the trail is never much fun

4) Bigger ring / cog combo
    36/22 is nicer then 31/17 because it rolls better. Also, go with beefy rings, cogs, chain because that is where you transfer massive power.

You can often actually add 1 or 2 pounds and have a bike that rides better especially for bigger guys. With single speed you will often still be lighter than most geared dual suspension rigs.

GO BIG!

Your "Bullbar" looks intresting, is it helpful when climbing?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sologear View Post
    Your "Bullbar" looks intresting, is it helpful when climbing?
    Yes, I am a huge fan of big bar ends. They help a lot with climbing and long days especially in terms of overall comfort and enjoyment. Sure they add weight but I think the weight is worth it. Ultra light and narrow bars work for some people but I prefer a nice wide and extended grip.
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

mtbr member
    So, I ordered:

Stan's ZTR Flow EX 29r wheels on Stan's 3.30 hubs, black spokes, red nipples
    XT Brakes
    XT Crank 180mm
    Crank Bros Cobalt 11 Carbon Bar 9* 780mm
    Crank Bros Egg Beater 3 pedals red

Saddle, stem and seat post to come after I ride it a bit and decide what I need to alter fit wise.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I would add a nice dropper post.

mtbr member
    Stage 1 complete for my Specialized Carve SL SS!!!!!
    XT Brakes 160r/180f
    XT 180mm Cranks

Stage 2 coming soon (on order, to be delivered hopefully next week):
    Stan's Flow Wheels
    Crank Brothers Carbon Handle Bars
    Crank Brothers Egg Beater 3 - Red

Stage 3 coming pretty darn soon (to be ordered, hopefully next week or week after):
    Longer Stem with more rise (want my seat and bars on the same level plane)
    Carbon seat post - mfg tbd (or thompson setback I have if it fits)
    Red cog
    Lighter seat
    Red skewers and seat collar, Crank Brothers two stage

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Check the Carve SS thread on this forum. Someone measured the 2013 Carve wheels and reported that they are only a few grams heavier than the Arch EXs. Race Golds (not rated for your weight or mine) would be a big savings.

EDITED TO ADD: Since you've already ordered the new wheels, let us know what the old wheels weighed. Are you riding a 2013 or 2012?

mtbr member
    This is a 2013. I am ordering a scale, so when it gets here I will weigh each tubed, stock wheel, with stock tires. And then I will weigh each tubeless, Arch, ardent 2.4 front, ardent 2.25 rear and see. Gonna be a week probably by time I can do that.

Got it on it for 9.2 miles, 1114ft climbing this morning, felt pretty good. 32x20 is a bit tougher for me to turn compared to the 33x22 I was used to. But I thinking jumping up to 180mm cranks from 175mm helped a bit.

I have dial in the tire pressure now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Nah, not another bike. I'm good for now.

Arch weight limit might be too close, good point. I haven't ordered them yet.
    Don't listen to this. Unless you ride extremely rocky trails or jump to flat often, I wouldn't hesitate to ride the arches. I rode a set of Arches most of last year at ~280+ lbs, and I finally managed to fold one in a jacked up G-out (rigid fork, so the front wheel had nowhere to go, totally my fault). Replaced it with an Arch EX, and haven't had any further problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast