Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

specialized carve sl ss or salsa el mariarchi

14K views 46 replies 32 participants last post by  hallowedpoint 
#1 ·
I never understood why anyone would ride a rigid SS. My friend had a Stout SE sitting around collecting dust, so I figured I would get it a try. Now that is all I want to ride. I built a Salsa Spearfish and I have over $4000 in it and I am riding a $300 SS. So I think I am going to go with one of these 2 bikes. I have also thought of diSSent, but after building one I think you come out alot better to buy a complete bike then maybe upgrade. You also get to see if the upgrade was really worth the $$$.

#40 ·
I am biased. But this is my first SS, and I am having tons of fun on it. Took 3rd in a race this past weekend on it behind a couple geared bikes. Honestly, I feel this it is more nimble and better handling than my full squish Titus Racer X. Weighs 23 lbs in its current setup.

Sevenz - you mind listing your parts list? Interested to see how you got it to 21.35 lbs. Think I have some pretty light stuff on mine (although running heavier tires)

Attachments

#45 ·
I know that there are a lot of satisfied El Mariachi owners (one of the reasons I got one). But my experience is that this frame has incredibly weak chain stays.
Iron Bicycle part Tread Synthetic rubber Spoke

I cracked this one in less than four months.... And this is the replacement frame they sent me after cracking the first one in the very same place!
Salsa says they won't replace this one so I'm not too happy with them.
FYI, I weigh 180 and I don't drop off anything more than 2 foot high.

#46 · (Edited)
I had an older El Mar as my proof of concept rigid SS. Loved the experience so much I decided to stay with steel but go lighter, so I ended up with a Raven. Niner carbon fork, Crests, and basic alu parts put me right at 20 lbs and well under $2k (used frame and fork).

Looked at the current El Mars today. LBS says they weigh 1.3 lbs more than my Raven. The Carve is gonna be down in the range of my Raven or less. Can't see carrying around the extra weight for no reason, and the Carve is a nice looking frame for sure.

Rigid SS ride quality is all about tuning tire pressures, period, not frame material. My steel frame is supple when the pressures are right for the terrain and bouncy/jarring when it is not, plain and simple.

You gotta remember that on a susp forked bike when the rear wheel hits something to fork compresses/reacts, not just when hitting with the front wheel. Without the susp fork the front and rear wheel inputs are now more "coupled". You can't change that dynamic with frame material. You can manage it however with tire pressure.

Here is the complete bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.