Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    Guys -- I'm considering these 2 bikes as well. At that price point what else should I be looking at? Here is my short list at the moment:

Specialized Carve SL 29 SS
    Salsa El Mariachi Limited Edition SS
    Surly Krate Monkey

Big Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post
    Guys -- I'm considering these 2 bikes as well. At that price point what else should I be looking at? Here is my short list at the moment:

Surly Krate Monkey
    same boat, I'm in.

I would throw in the civilian luddite if you can find your size, and the kona unit, and the redline monocog flight.
    -It's time to shred some mild to moderate gnar!!

mtbr member
    El Mariachi all the way...Love mine! As pictured 21.35lbs size large...Once I put the Whiskey carbon fork and xx1 cranks on it...it will be down to just over 20...Not bad for a 5.5lb frame....

singletrack bound
    nice.....
    I'm enjoying mine for just about a year now.
    First set up as a SS for six months until I got my other steel frame repaired.
    switched out to a 1 x 10 and now I have two steel HT's one SS one 1 x 10.
    it's pretty nice to have the choice!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails specialized carve sl ss or salsa el mariarchi-cell-phone-pics-024.jpg  

specialized carve sl ss or salsa el mariarchi-1x10-salas.jpg  

Sorrel Seeker !!

Trail Junkie
    I would take the El Mar based on tension system and the fact that its going to ride nicer being steel.

An aluminum frame, narrow rims, and narrow tires are going to be a rough ride regardless if it has a nice carbon fork on it or not. EBBs creak...its annoy as sh!t trying to muscle up a steep climb out of the saddle and its the only thing on your bike making noise. Also, anytime you change the rear cog or tension the chain, your entire bike geometry changes. Its not a lot, but it can mean that you have to adjust the seatpost or the seat to get it to feel right.

THe Rockers (slider type) allows you to fine tune you chainstay length for quicker turning or a bit more stability while descending. I went from EBB to Sliders and I'll never go back.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdryver View Post

THe Rockers (slider type) allows you to fine tune you chainstay length for quicker turning or a bit more stability while descending.
    Doesn't changing wheelbase and chainstay length count as changing geometry?

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rob1035 View Post
    Doesn't changing wheelbase and chainstay length count as changing geometry?
    It does, but it doesn't change the fit on the bike, everything on the front triangle stays put.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I put a Carve on layaway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Mariachi if you have to choose between those two without a doubt. The Carve is going to ride like a beer can, the Mariachi is going to ride like buttah.

Remember the wise proverb here.....Aluminum is steel they sucked all the soul out of.

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I would take the El Mar based on tension system and the fact that its going to ride nicer being steel.

An aluminum frame, narrow rims, and narrow tires are going to be a rough ride regardless if it has a nice carbon fork on it or not. EBBs creak...its annoy as sh!t trying to muscle up a steep climb out of the saddle and its the only thing on your bike making noise. Also, anytime you change the rear cog or tension the chain, your entire bike geometry changes. Its not a lot, but it can mean that you have to adjust the seatpost or the seat to get it to feel right.

THe Rockers (slider type) allows you to fine tune you chainstay length for quicker turning or a bit more stability while descending. I went from EBB to Sliders and I'll never go back.
    Good advice on how the tensioning of the chain works. Probably one of the most important things to look at when getting a single speed.

I had the Trek Rig on my short list as well until I read the reviews and how everyone complained about the odd way the chainstay worked....or didn't.

I will probably lean towards the Salsa if I buy a new SS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I think the mar is the best option. The mariachi is, was and will be a great choice, steel is amazing for a SS bike is more confortable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by p08757 View Post

Surly Krate Monkey
    You should check out the Singular Swift. EBB, steel framed goodness!

mtbr member
    OK here is the skinny,

I have the El Mariachi SS (XL) Special Edition with the following done to it.
    Tires swap for Mountain Kings 2.2 (stock are Trail King little taller and fatter)
    Stans tubeless setup
    Chain rings and chain replaced Qring 34/Surly 18 with KMC Gold X-9 chain as short as possible.
    Shimano Pro Carbon Seat Post
    Stella Glider seat
    Richty Stem

I just weight her on Friday night Clean and dry Total weight is 25.1

So I do not know how some other guys are claiming lighter weight.
    I am thinking about putting on a Ninner fork that would shave 1lb exactly cause we weight the stock vs. Ninner already.

This is a solid bike and I have been extremely happy with it. Stem and seat post were replace during Fit.
    Anyone remember the days when Signatures were called Taglines?

mtbr member
    All of the Carve Overend editions are sold out, the regular Carve SL will be available in mid March, the first run already sold out. I stopped by my Specialized Concept store today.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I am biased. But this is my first SS, and I am having tons of fun on it. Took 3rd in a race this past weekend on it behind a couple geared bikes. Honestly, I feel this it is more nimble and better handling than my full squish Titus Racer X. Weighs 23 lbs in its current setup.

Sevenz - you mind listing your parts list? Interested to see how you got it to 21.35 lbs. Think I have some pretty light stuff on mine (although running heavier tires)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails specialized carve sl ss or salsa el mariarchi-img_0642.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenz View Post
    El Mariachi all the way...Love mine! As pictured 21.35lbs size large...Once I put the Whiskey carbon fork and xx1 cranks on it...it will be down to just over 20...Not bad for a 5.5lb frame....

Quote Originally Posted by titusracer View Post
    I am biased. But this is my first SS, and I am having tons of fun on it. Took 3rd in a race this past weekend on it behind a couple geared bikes. Honestly, I feel this it is more nimble and better handling than my full squish Titus Racer X. Weighs 23 lbs in its current setup.

Sevenz - you mind listing your parts list? Interested to see how you got it to 21.35 lbs. Think I have some pretty light stuff on mine (although running heavier tires)
    Here it is...

Large El Mar Frame and Fork
    Stans 355's with Rocket Rons
    Kcnc Ti Lite Seat Post
    Salsa Pro Moto Carbon bars
    Salsa Pro Moto 1 Stem
    ESI Grips
    Magura MT2 Brakes with Storm SL Rotors
    Truvativ Firex Crank W/ Race Face 32t ring
    Chris King 18t Cog
    Crankbro's Candy 1 pedals

As I posted before, once my Whiskey fork and xx1 cranks come in it will drop another pound +...

meatier showers
    It does, but it doesn't change the fit on the bike, everything on the front triangle stays put.
    If one buys quality components & construction, it really boils down to personal preference. I have both sliders (Kona Honzo) and split shell EBB (Vulture). Personally I prefer the EBB, which I've been living with for 11 years now -- happily.

But I'm not saying EBB is better. I'm saying I like it better. I like that the relationship between my a$$ and my rear axle doesn't change whenever I change my chain tension (which I admit is rarely). Personally I don't notice the change in crank position... can't say why... but I don't. Usually I don't even adjust my saddle. It ain't that much.

To each his own. They're all okay -- EBB (although there are lots of shitty EBBs out there; stay away from the bad ones), sliders, swingers, rockers, track ends, blah, blah, blah. Use whatever you like. But invest in quality.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

Trail Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenz View Post
    As I posted before, once my Whiskey fork and xx1 cranks come in it will drop another pound +...
    Just out of curiosity..are you running the XX1 crankset singlespeed?
    I am not sure what the advantage is for running it SS, but have you considered a Rotor 3D? They are lighter and stiffer..much better platform for a SS. 530g vs 710 for the XX1.
    Rotor 3D MTB XC3 Crankset 3x9 10 | eBay
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0
    Misfit diSSent

Fut. Bikes:
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    Just out of curiosity..are you running the XX1 crankset singlespeed?
    I am not sure what the advantage is for running it SS, but have you considered a Rotor 3D? They are lighter and stiffer..much better platform for a SS. 530g vs 710 for the XX1.
    Rotor 3D MTB XC3 Crankset 3x9 10 | eBay

Honestly it comes down to price...The Rotor 3D are sweet cranks but cost way more than xx1 cranks...xx1 cranks are cheap and light...You are a little off in your weights I think...xx cranks with a spiderless chainring will come in at about 540g

mtbr member

specialized carve sl ss or salsa el mariarchi

I know that there are a lot of satisfied El Mariachi owners (one of the reasons I got one). But my experience is that this frame has incredibly weak chain stays.
    specialized carve sl ss or salsa el mariarchi-imageuploadedbytapatalk1359808581.594511.jpg

I cracked this one in less than four months.... And this is the replacement frame they sent me after cracking the first one in the very same place!
    Salsa says they won't replace this one so I'm not too happy with them.
    FYI, I weigh 180 and I don't drop off anything more than 2 foot high.

BLKSS29RGD
    I had an older El Mar as my proof of concept rigid SS. Loved the experience so much I decided to stay with steel but go lighter, so I ended up with a Raven. Niner carbon fork, Crests, and basic alu parts put me right at 20 lbs and well under $2k (used frame and fork).

Looked at the current El Mars today. LBS says they weigh 1.3 lbs more than my Raven. The Carve is gonna be down in the range of my Raven or less. Can't see carrying around the extra weight for no reason, and the Carve is a nice looking frame for sure.

Rigid SS ride quality is all about tuning tire pressures, period, not frame material. My steel frame is supple when the pressures are right for the terrain and bouncy/jarring when it is not, plain and simple.

You gotta remember that on a susp forked bike when the rear wheel hits something to fork compresses/reacts, not just when hitting with the front wheel. Without the susp fork the front and rear wheel inputs are now more "coupled". You can't change that dynamic with frame material. You can manage it however with tire pressure.

Here is the complete bike.
    Last edited by trialsguy315; 02-12-2013 at 05:58 AM.

mtbr member

specialized carve sl ss or salsa el mariarchi

Good point, the El Mariachi IS a really heavy frame. I bought mine thinking heavy means strong. Certainly not the case with the El Mariachi, it's heavy AND weak!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2