Thread: Spacers

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Spacers

I was on ebay looking for some spacers for my street wheels and came across the Gearclamp

Anyone know if an adjustable clamp will do the same? I read somewhere that a spacer between the cog and Gearclamp helped with chain clearance so maybe it'll work here?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor - Homebrewed Components
    Jul 2006
    i just dont like the fact that the cog is basically floating loose in there. The constant movement (as minute as it may be) will eventually make noise or wear the freehub body.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I see.. maybe I'll use it with the other spacers I had around the garage. Then again.. might as well go with the PVC pipe idea...

I'd go to my LBS but they can be ***** sometimes.. and they don't take beer!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Niner had these on one of their SS at Interbike....you can draw any conclusions you wish!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Looks interesting, but seems more complicated and potentially less effective than the standard spacer setup that's been working fine so far...
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

mtbr member
    A little bit of schedule 40 PVC cut on a mitre saw and a few 1 1/2" steel external lock rings (for fine tuning) from Home Depot work just as well. $5

Dive Bomber
    I use PVC but end up using freewheel instead.

The gearclamp might be good idea for spacers, you still lock with the lockring though.

mtbr member
    So? You will never get the compression on the cog you get with a threaded lockring. Plus if you need spacers to solve chain clearance issues...

Ahhh the pain....
    Hmmm....like the idea from the adjustment standpoint, but I just solved an annoying creak in my SS that was due to the lockring not being tight enough. I had two instances where the creak slowly became worse and worse and when I checked the lockring torque, it was just finger tight ! So, I cleaned everything, reassembled and used a torque wrench to tighten it all back up...no more creak!

It's amazing how little movement of aluminum on aluminum with the right dryness and clamping force that will cause a noise.
    Your limits are both physical and mental. Suffering will help you find and overcome both.
    http://onegear-ray.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Out of curiosity, what's your dislike with the usual style spacers??

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    No dislike at all. Closest LBS that has let me sift through their used parts ins 30 mins away.. internet is too expensive... schedule is too busy to hit the hardware store. The adjustable hose clamp was a, "What do I have in my garage?" kinda deal.

These are my street wheels so I don't have enough spacers... Anyone want to send me some?

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by damnilocano
    No dislike at all. Closest LBS that has let me sift through their used parts ins 30 mins away.. internet is too expensive... schedule is too busy to hit the hardware store. The adjustable hose clamp was a, "What do I have in my garage?" kinda deal.

These are my street wheels so I don't have enough spacers... Anyone want to send me some?
    Do what I did when I needed a few more spacers- I took apart my kid's cassette, stole a couple spacers, readjusted his rear derailer and now he rides a 2x4.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Don't have a kid bike around and I already took the ones from my old road bike cassette... I like riding my road bike so I'm not going to sacrifice those spacers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umarth
    Do what I did when I needed a few more spacers- I took apart my kid's cassette, stole a couple spacers, readjusted his rear derailer and now he rides a 2x4.
    that's what i've done. well, not with my kid's bike, but take a cassette apart (bike shops must have lots of these or find a dumpster bike), use the spacers. dremel the little tabs off if you want.

mtbr member
    Don't have a kid bike around and I already took the ones from my old road bike cassette... I like riding my road bike so I'm not going to sacrifice those spacers.
    Then either order these gear clamps or go ghetto single speed using PVC. Or go to your LBS and get a spacer kit. Or order a spacer kit online. You have about half a dozen different options.

Whatever you do, quit making excuses why every option that people suggest isn't gonna work for you. If the Internet is too expensive and the LBS are ***** (no wonder, you're kind of a pain in the a$$) and you don't have time to go to a HW store then you probably don't have the time or money to ride a bike anyway. Figure it out, you're a big boy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I used my old road cassette (big and small gears) like someone suggested. I was going to sell it but it has a better purpose now.

I was just asking if people used the adjustable clamp the way the gearclamp was used... tried to use stuff around my garage.

Have a beer man.. and get laid... you seem a little uptight

mtbr member
    I used my old road cassette (big and small gears) like someone suggested. I was going to sell it but it has a better purpose now.

I was just asking if people used the adjustable clamp the way the gearclamp was used... tried to use stuff around my garage.

Have a beer man.. and get laid... you seem a little uptight
    I tend to get that way when people can't seem to do any thinking for themselves.
    Last edited by PoisonDartFrog; 10-03-2010 at 05:33 AM.

mtbr member
    A couple of guys around here use the Gearclamps and have no complaints. Easy to install and super easy to dial in a perfect chainline. Not my preference, but the more options out there, the better I think.