Cyclist

source for Profile 3 Piece Euro Crank bearings?

Any know a source for replacement bearings besides Profile? Their asking $52 for a set. Are they a standard bearing I can bring to Grainger or something?

thanks
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tsk Tsk......

Quote Originally Posted by striker
    Any know a source for replacement bearings besides Profile? Their asking $52 for a set. Are they a standard bearing I can bring to Grainger or something?

thanks

Dan's Comp has them for 29.99 a pair.
    Excuse me, please.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by striker

thanks
    They are ABI Enduro "MAX" B-539 and go for $12.99 a piece from aebike (you need 4 for those that do not know). Other than direct from Profile this is the best price I have seen. My local bearing supply wanted $20-25 each.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound
    Dan's Comp has them for 29.99 a pair.
    Those are the BMX bearing, not for the Euro BB.
    mtbtires.com

rejected

Idea! Bearings are cheaper @ ...

the bearing style you want are cheaper @ hammerheadbikes.com....

you save almost $1.75 / bearing buying fomr hammerhead than aebike.... its your choice.. $$$

http://shop.hammerheadbikes.com/site...=37&SKU=BB8539

Quote Originally Posted by gspot
    the bearing style you want are cheaper @ hammerheadbikes.com....

you save almost $1.75 / bearing buying fomr hammerhead than aebike.... its your choice.. $$$

http://shop.hammerheadbikes.com/site...=37&SKU=BB8539
    My LBS sells them (in Profile packaging) to me for less than that and no shipping (or sales tax).
    mtbtires.com

ا
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    My LBS sells them (in Profile packaging) to me for less than that and no shipping (or sales tax).
    Hey Shigs,
    Since you're the master of Profile cranks... I have one quick question for you:
    I have a set of super nice black Profiles on my Redline 24" cruiser and I want to swap them out to a mountain bike. Are any of the parts of the BB usable for the mountain bike? Or should I just go out and buy a new english BB? Also, you are using the Ti spindle, right? How is that working out for you? Any idea on how much a full BB might run for mountain bike usage?

OK, that was like 20 questions. But, thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    QBP runs a global pricing system on sites like Hammerhead and AEBike...so you might be able to find it cheaper than Hammerhead, as well. or, you could check your LBS and see if you can get it cheaper through them. kinda funny, there's a sticker (Park, i believe) on Hammerhead that goes for like $10000.

anywho, if you want to take them off your cruiser, which i assume has an American BB (BMX), all you need are new cups (Euro cups). Profile has 3 different spindle widths (that i am aware of), but i don't know what they are. i just use what i've got. Shig might be able to shed some light.

Quote Originally Posted by
    Hey Shigs,
    I have a set of super nice black Profiles on my Redline 24" cruiser and I want to swap them out to a mountain bike. Are any of the parts of the BB usable for the mountain bike? Or should I just go out and buy a new english BB? Also, you are using the Ti spindle, right? How is that working out for you? Any idea on how much a full BB might run for mountain bike usage?

Hey Shigs,

The spindles are the same. Do not know what length is needed, though. I think Profile has a "Euro" conversion kit with everything needed to do the job. Call them.
    mtbtires.com

Jed Peters
    I've got a bearing set with cones and all that jazz, everything you need.

You can contact me through this site.

Say $40, shipped?

Jed

Cyclist

Pagin Zonic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man
    I've got a bearing set with cones and all that jazz, everything you need.

You can contact me through this site.

Say $40, shipped?

Jed
    Thanks, I can't seem to find your email addy in the profile.

broyert at hotmail dot com.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

IMBA Guy
    Jan 2004
    Hey Shigs,

FSA is now making a euro conversion kit for BMX cranks, it works for Profile or any other crank that uses a 19mm spindle. I got one through my lbs for $30 because it was the least expensive way to replace the bearings in my Profiles. It's held up well so far.

mtbr member
    not to mention the cup uses (what i consider to be) a more typical bb tool. but that's been discussed already. is there anything that makes the FSA cups better or worse than the Profile cups?

Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    not to mention the cup uses (what i consider to be) a more typical bb tool. but that's been discussed already. is there anything that makes the FSA cups better or worse than the Profile cups?
    BB lockring tool rather than a fixed cup tool. I have had more problems with the lockring tools slipping than a fixed cup tool.

More importantly, does the FSA BB use 4 bearings or just two?
    mtbtires.com

IMBA Guy
    Jan 2004

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy™
    BB lockring tool rather than a fixed cup tool. I have had more problems with the lockring tools slipping than a fixed cup tool.

More importantly, does the FSA BB use 4 bearings or just two?
    Sorry for the slow response. The FSA uses 4 bearings. The setup is almost identical to the Profile BB, except for the slight differences in installation. I found them to be equally easy to work with, and the bearings seem to be of relatively equal quality. I was really impressed with the quality of the FSA considering what it cost.

Jed Peters
    Striker, I mailed those out today, BTW.