mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Soulcraft Convert Issues

I switched from the Paul Melvin to a Convert. I liked the thought of the more direct chain path and the quieter ride, but I've been having some issues with it. With the Chainring/Cog configuration I'm running, I cannot use the Convert in the 'Pushing' mode only the 'Pulling' mode. Everytime I get to hill that I have to grunt my way up, the Convert seems to 'pop' open and i loose enough chain tension that the chain skips hopelessly. By the way, new Boone cog, new 8-speed chain and an Action Tec chainring sand ramps or pins with a couple of hundred miles on it (read no wear). Any thoughts would be great.
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

Suffering Mightily

Loctite...

I had the same problem, but a dab of blue loctite on the bolt solved it entirely. Good Luck!

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Push up whenever possible

i didn't have great success with my Convert in pull down mode. so i changed my gear combo (by 1 tooth up front) and now i run push mode with no problems whatsoever. none.

you may be able to get a half link to make your current combo work.
    hope this helps.
    Spinning and Grinning...

mudnthebloodnthebeer
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy

you may be able to get a half link to make your current combo work.
    hope this helps.
    I'll second that. I had to add a half-link to run my combo in push-up mode, and it completely eliminated the very infrequent instances of chain skip I had in push-down mode.

mtbr member

definitely push-up

I ran my convert in push down mode for a year and had chain slipping problems. I then replaced my front ring and put the convert in push up mode, no problems. If your going to go with a half link, use spicer cycles half link, I tried a half link before the convert and had trouble with the standard half links found at bmx shops everywhere.

try driving your car less
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBDad
    I switched from the Paul Melvin to a Convert. I liked the thought of the more direct chain path and the quieter ride, but I've been having some issues with it. With the Chainring/Cog configuration I'm running, I cannot use the Convert in the 'Pushing' mode only the 'Pulling' mode. Everytime I get to hill that I have to grunt my way up, the Convert seems to 'pop' open and i loose enough chain tension that the chain skips hopelessly. By the way, new Boone cog, new 8-speed chain and an Action Tec chainring sand ramps or pins with a couple of hundred miles on it (read no wear). Any thoughts would be great.
    I had a similar problem. I sold the convert on ebay and bought an eno eccentric wheel.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanx for the suggestions...

I have ordered a new SS Chainring from Boone, sized one tooth larger. Also spoke to Gene Spicer this morning and ordered a half link. I am going to go back to the Melvin for this weekend (unless the half link arrives and allows me to 'Push'.
    MTBDad
    MCM #47.867

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head" - Bono

Pain-meister!
    Feb 2004

Here's how to use the convert...

Posted this a year ago: the problem w/ the convert in push-down mode is that it tends to tighten as you CRANK on the 6mm wrench. So, when you begin to pedal HARD on a tough climb, there is a tendency to overtighten the chain [which then can LOOSEN the bolt as the convert is pushed up]. What I found works well is to put 2 zip tie ends in between the chain and the roller on the convert when adjusting. That automatically adds enough slack in the chain that you won't inadvertantly loosen the convert mounting bolt.

What I added to my tool pack was a 6mm allen wrench w/ zip-ties already tightened around the middle of the wrench. Just slide them off the wrench to use as the spacer, tighten, and GO!!!

Not that I don't like the idea of Boone Ti cogs, half links, and such...but.......

.....you REALLY don't HAVE to do this!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBDad
    Use blue locktite or change your ratio to use the pushup mode.

If anyone badmouths soulcraft I will maul them.

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Help!

For the past couple of years I have been running a Singulator pushed up using zip ties to hold it in place cuz the springs suck. Yesterday I changed my gearing and put a Soulcraft Convert on to see how it worked. It would only fit in the push down mode. My sissy gear is too big so the arm wont clear the cog in the push up mode. Anyway, as many of you have posted, while climbing I lost tension. I reset the arm once. Then it happened again and this time I could not reset it. Alas I could not pedal so I removed the chain, pushed my bike to the top of the hill, then coasted back down to my car. When I got home I put the Singulator back on.

So what is a half link? Is that something that exteds the arm out so I can run the convert pushing up and still run my sissy gear?

Any thoughts on how to get the Convert to reset itself? Perhaps I broke it?

And where the heck is Soulcraftbikes.com? My browser cannot find it? I would like to give them my two cents on this minor design flaw of theirs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I run a surly w/ 2 zip ties, but quite frankly, that's a crappy solution.

It works great, but its ugly and a pain in the ass should the rear wheel need to come off, or if the chain should by chance, hop off.

I was int he market for a new tensioner and was looking into the soulcraft... not so sure now.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

soulcraft link

Quote Originally Posted by XTRKona
    For the past couple of years I have been running a Singulator pushed up using zip ties to hold it in place cuz the springs suck. Yesterday I changed my gearing and put a Soulcraft Convert on to see how it worked. It would only fit in the push down mode. My sissy gear is too big so the arm wont clear the cog in the push up mode. Anyway, as many of you have posted, while climbing I lost tension. I reset the arm once. Then it happened again and this time I could not reset it. Alas I could not pedal so I removed the chain, pushed my bike to the top of the hill, then coasted back down to my car. When I got home I put the Singulator back on.

So what is a half link? Is that something that exteds the arm out so I can run the convert pushing up and still run my sissy gear?

Any thoughts on how to get the Convert to reset itself? Perhaps I broke it?

And where the heck is Soulcraftbikes.com? My browser cannot find it? I would like to give them my two cents on this minor design flaw of theirs.
    here is the link- i find it on Safari with no problem:
    http://www.soulcraftbikes.com/id57.htm
    i wouldn't go mouthing off too quickly- they are a great company with a good sense of humor. reading these boards tells you very few folks have anything to gripe about with this product. and i say it is the best.
    your problem sounds a bit like "pilot error" rather than product malfunction.
    Spinning and Grinning...

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    here is the link- i find it on Safari with no problem:
    http://www.soulcraftbikes.com/id57.htm
    i wouldn't go mouthing off too quickly- they are a great company with a good sense of humor. reading these boards tells you very few folks have anything to gripe about with this product. and i say it is the best.
    your problem sounds a bit like "pilot error" rather than product malfunction.
    Fine. I will give you pilot error - I tried it once, installing after carefully reading and living by all ten commandments supplied with it. Due to "pilot error" the system did not seem to work as it should have and so I ended up with a bike that could not be pedalled. Singlespeeding is suupposed to be simple and not require a PhD in bike mechanics to run one gear.

I came to this board to see if anyone here could help me get the thing running correctly, not to start a fight about how great a company Soulcraft is. Sounds like my choices are:
    1. run it pushing up - does not fit with my chosen gearing.
    2. run it pushing down, using a zip tie to keep it from applying too much chain tension when snugging not snogging the 6mm Allen bolt - sounds a bit fishy but I will try it to see if this works.
    3. hack the vertical dropouts off the rear end of my bike and weld on some horizontal ones, thus negating this whole discussion.

After yestday's incident I could not get the arm to "click" into place again. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this or is this just pilot error as well?

I still don't know what a half link is.

Thanks for the link to Soulcrafts website.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Not trying to beat you up!

Fine. I will give you pilot error - I tried it once, installing after carefully reading and living by all ten commandments supplied with it. Due to "pilot error" the system did not seem to work as it should have and so I ended up with a bike that could not be pedalled. Singlespeeding is suupposed to be simple and not require a PhD in bike mechanics to run one gear. .
    i couldn't agree more- SS should be above all else, Simple.

I came to this board to see if anyone here could help me get the thing running correctly, not to start a fight about how great a company Soulcraft is. Sounds like my choices are:
    1. run it pushing up - does not fit with my chosen gearing..
    what is your current ring/cog combo? let's start there...
    2. run it pushing down, using a zip tie to keep it from applying too much chain tension when snugging not snogging the 6mm Allen bolt - sounds a bit fishy but I will try it to see if this works.
    you really shouldn't have to "rig" it up- the proper gear combo and possibly a half link should have you sorted out.
    3. hack the vertical dropouts off the rear end of my bike and weld on some horizontal ones, thus negating this whole discussion.
    are you running V's or discs? horizontal drops aren't great for discs due to the caliper interfering with wheel removal/installation.[/QUOTE]

After yestday's incident I could not get the arm to "click" into place again. Does anyone know if there is a way to fix this or is this just pilot error as well?
    it can be tricky trying to find the indent- especially if the fixing bolt is not tight to the derailleur hanger. i would hope that your slipping problem didn't actually break the mechanism...

I still don't know what a half link is.
    it is a link that is half the size of your regular connecting link in your chain. i believe Spicer Cycles is a good source for them.

Thanks for the link to Soulcrafts website.
    you're welcome. i wasn't taking a swing at you- i just like to figure things out before i bother a company who normally makes really good stuff that a bunch of us use successfully. that is why we are here as a community.
    Spinning and Grinning...

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    One gear guy: thanks for all the positive feed back; that's why I come here. I've been thinking about this off and on today and perhaps there was a problem with my fixing bolt since though the bolt was tight, I did notice some play between the Convert and my hanger after the second time the thing poped loose. I believe it was snug before I left the house but I do not recall for sure. Anyway, it worked until I headed up a nice steep drainage and then pop!

I have switched to a 34:20. I've been running a 34:17 but I just was not having a lot of fun riding it on the trails that I ride it on, so I switched. I could run a 32t chainring but I don't really want to drop another $80-$100 on another spot spiderless chainring. I would really like to use what I have - and the Singlelator works, just with zip ties.

When I got home last night and put the Singlelator back on I had to remove one link to get it to fit right. But since the Singlelator and the Convert are essentially the same length maybe I can get it to work, though I swore I tried that first, before adding the link, and the pulley was riding on the cog. I will try this again as it sounds like the push up method is the way to go. And of course we all know from our college Statics class that more chain around a cog means more force can be applied. (Did I get that right? It's been many years.....)

I have disc front, V-brake rear. My buddy who welds Ti and such will make me a horizontal dropout with floating disc tabs - when he gets around to it. In the mean time....here I am with a chain tensioner.

As for the website, I think it was down this morning because I could not get there. I got there during my lunch break but alas I didn't find an email so I could not complain anyway.

mtbr member

half link

try your lbs and see if they can order a half link from quality and try that, i was able to take a link out and then push up with my convert..

scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scottms33; 01-24-2005 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    I've hammered my Soulcraft in both push and pull modes and have not had any problems. Its just playing with it at first to get it figured out. I agree that SS is all about simplicity, you should not have problems setting up a SS. It may be that some bike/frames work better with one or the other chain tensioner. I would rather use the push mode on my Soulcraft but my current gear ratio requires the pull mode. If I have problems I do something then, either half link or ratio change. I ridden it for about a year, about half up, half down, half on the ground. Nothing wrong with the Soulcraft. Like any other product, some have good luck, some have bad luck with it.

It's mid 60's, I need to go ride.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks for all the help guys. I got the Convert back on my bike, pushing up, and it works flawlessly, even with my 34-20 sissy gearing. I am amazed that I did not drop the chain once even with such slack chain tension. I didn't think my chainline was that good. Regardless, all is well and my SS rocks

the cool nerd
    One gear guy: thanks for all the positive feed back; that's why I come here. I've been thinking about this off and on today and perhaps there was a problem with my fixing bolt since though the bolt was tight, I did notice some play between the Convert and my hanger after the second time the thing poped loose. I believe it was snug before I left the house but I do not recall for sure. Anyway, it worked until I headed up a nice steep drainage and then pop!

I have switched to a 34:20. I've been running a 34:17 but I just was not having a lot of fun riding it on the trails that I ride it on, so I switched. I could run a 32t chainring but I don't really want to drop another $80-$100 on another spot spiderless chainring. I would really like to use what I have - and the Singlelator works, just with zip ties.

As for the website, I think it was down this morning because I could not get there. I got there during my lunch break but alas I didn't find an email so I could not complain anyway.
    XTR I didn't see this thread earlier...I can't believe that you are resorting to such a wimpy gear. 34:20? My image of you has just neen crushed. If the gear is too tall, then you have to work out more

Anyway, I have an offer of a lifetime for you (get your mind out of the gutter)..after this weekend, I will hook you up with my rollenlager..Now that i've enoized my convert, it'll just be sitting around (it's a backup plan for this weekend however). Once you've used it, you won't be interested in the others (in my oh so humble opinion)..I can either mail it to you, or maybe next weekend, I can drive down to ABQ, we can install it and you can show me some trails....

scott

Cold. Blue. Steel.

he just got all set!

Quote Originally Posted by sportsman
    XTR I didn't see this thread earlier...I can't believe that you are resorting to such a wimpy gear. 34:20? My image of you has just neen crushed. If the gear is too tall, then you have to work out more

Anyway, I have an offer of a lifetime for you (get your mind out of the gutter)..after this weekend, I will hook you up with my rollenlager..Now that i've enoized my convert, it'll just be sitting around (it's a backup plan for this weekend however). Once you've used it, you won't be interested in the others (in my oh so humble opinion)..I can either mail it to you, or maybe next weekend, I can drive down to ABQ, we can install it and you can show me some trails....

scott
    well, that is a super nice act of friendship and giving, but XTR just got his Convert working! let him at least enjoy it and concentrate on riding
    i don't doubt that the Rollenlager is a wonderful piece of engineering, but there is nothing wrong with properly setup Convert. go ride and buy him a good, cold, brown ale afterwards instead!
    Spinning and Grinning...

the cool nerd
    well, that is a super nice act of friendship and giving, but XTR just got his Convert working! let him at least enjoy it and concentrate on riding
    i don't doubt that the Rollenlager is a wonderful piece of engineering, but there is nothing wrong with properly setup Convert. go ride and buy him a good, cold, brown ale afterwards instead!
    for some reason we have trouble hooking up, unless we're meeting to go up to CO, so I'll have to settle up by buying myself a cold, brown ale.

I didn't mean to bash the Convert, never used one, and I hadn't read the entire thread to see that he was already golden before I offered, just trying to get a friend back on the trailSS...

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    for some reason we have trouble hooking up, unless we're meeting to go up to CO, so I'll have to settle up by buying myself a cold, brown ale.

I didn't mean to bash the Convert, never used one, and I hadn't read the entire thread to see that he was already golden before I offered, just trying to get a friend back on the trailSS...
    no worries, sportsman. you can't go wrong with either one.
    it is really cool to look after friends- that is what it's all about. and downing some cold brown ales makes life all the sweeter, esp after a great ride!
    btw, what did you fit your new ENO hub into (what kind of bike are you riding)?
    Spinning and Grinning...

the cool nerd
    no worries, sportsman. you can't go wrong with either one.
    it is really cool to look after friends- that is what it's all about. and downing some cold brown ales makes life all the sweeter, esp after a great ride!
    btw, what did you fit your new ENO hub into (what kind of bike are you riding)?
    I have a 1x1 (no tensioner needed) and a converted stumpjumper. I love the 1x1 but it isn't optimal for racing...

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I have a 1x1 (no tensioner needed) and a converted stumpjumper. I love the 1x1 but it isn't optimal for racing...
    I think you should go ahead and convert that Truth......

the cool nerd
    I think you should go ahead and convert that Truth......
    because I'd climb like a billy goat, always standing on the rear shock?!?!