View Poll Results: Do you use a bike computer on your Singlespeed(s)?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, always.

8 30.77%
  • Sometimes

3 11.54%
  • No, never

15 57.69%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Cyclist

Sort of Poll: Do you use a bike computer on your SS?

After looking at the great bikes in the SS Steeds thread, I noticed most didn't have computers on them. I have never used a bike computer on my SS. No real reason other than it just doesn't seem too important to know all that information. A '"Just ride" kind of thing I guess. However, I do like having on on my road bike.

For conversation sake; Who's using one and who is not? Comments?
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -- Benjamin Franklin

My cycling photos. Enjoy!

The Top Cap Guy
    I was using one - but removed it because I was always focued on how fast, how far, etc... after I took it off I noticed my enjoyment level went up. I can kind of guess how far I road on a ride or I can always ask another rider what the distance was if I absolutely must know. Biggest thing I miss about the computer is the clock. I hate wearing a watch when I ride (my wife says it's too expensive to ride with and I'm broken 2 Timex Ironman watchs riding).

But to answer your question - on the SS - no computer.

FF
    "If I'm leading, I'm bleeding."

paintbucket
    I've got one on all my rides, including the SS. I don't look at it often while riding trails though, so its not distracting at all. Same with the HRM. Neither is a training tool so much as a bunch of numbers to write down at the end of the ride.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member

not me

I don't use one because it's another thing to hassle with. And if I need to know the time it took me to ride 2 hours, I look at my watch.
    If I were to do a SS road tour though, I would defenitely use one, but that's not going tohappen any time soon. And for 12 or 24 hr. races, I won't use one. I just like to ride.
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 02-06-2007 at 06:16 PM.

JJT
    mtbr member

Polar S720i on all my bikes

On non commuting rides I always use my Polar S720i. I like to know and to record the numbers..

During the SS rides I just put it on and off again when finishing the ride. I like to see what I did during the ride on my computer at home. It's part of my experience I guess..

Birdman aka JMJ

I use one

Quote Originally Posted by striker
    After looking at the great bikes in the SS Steeds thread, I noticed most didn't have computers on them. I have never used a bike computer on my SS. No real reason other than it just doesn't seem too important to know all that information. A '"Just ride" kind of thing I guess. However, I do like having on on my road bike.

I have one on each of my bikes. I rarely look at it during a ride. It's more for tracking miles & hours on the bike (for maintenance purposes, 100 hours between services on the shock, etc.). but of course there's no shock on my SS. I use the same model computer on all 3 bikes (an inexpensive Cateye Mity 3) so if one craps-out, I've got spare wires or units handy.

Actually, most of the rides I'll do with my SS I've done before, so I could go computerless and just refer back to my old logs for distance at a particular trail.

Kinda reminds me of a debate I saw recently regarding new cars (on SaabNet). Someone was complaining that BMWs, MBs, etc. all come with navigation systems standard but *gasp* Saab does not. My response... "Doesn't anyone know how to read a freakin' MAP anymore?". So, same goes for having a computer on a SS, I guess - isn't a rough idea of how long and how far you rode good enough?

Interesting discussion... JMJ

Breathus Hardus

just keep cranking and you will eventually get there

I used to run a Computer on my road fix for the time and Cadence (which could be quite amusing at times), then the battery died and……
    I rode my offroad SS with a heart rate monitor a couple of times, but it was too scary so I stopped.
    I might tape a cheap digital watch to my handlebar to help me avoide those impromptu night rides, but then again, better planning or just getting off my ass and strapping on the lights might be all the technology I need.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

It's been a while since I've had one on my bike, but I like it mostly for the clock, and to see how many miles I've done at the end of a ride. I hate wearing watches while riding.

So it's mostly on the clock setting, and at the end of the ride I switch it to mileage to check how far I've gone. Others have mentioned remembering how far they've gone on trails they're familiar with; I have a really bad memory so the computer helps.

try driving your car less

no

I started out with an old Wang desktop duct taped to the bars, but the extension cord kept getting caught in the spokes. So I upgraded to an Apple Imac, but people kept thinking I was a sissy because of the 'blueberry' color. I know alot of folks run IBM servers, but they are total boat anchors, and the black clashed with my bike.
    In my weight weenie days I ran a little sony vaio, but I could not see anything on the little screen and it broke after one crash. I also couldnt get it to mount to my bars properly.
    In the end, I decided I do not need to read email and browse MTBR while riding, so I leave the computer on my office desk, where it belongs.
    I just put my watch in my pocket so I make it home on time to check MTBR forums for new posts every five minutes. If I need to know how far I have ridden, I ask someone with an odometer. If I am solo, I ask a tree. Those farging trees here are so anti-social. Not like in the Lord of The Rings movies.
    In all fairness, I think odometers are great for navigating unknown terrain with a map or trail description from a book, so you can judge whether or not you missed a trail junction, etc.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member

I used to use computers on all of my bikes. I wanted to simplify things, so I took all the computers off and now just use a stop watch to track time. I know my typical average speed for road riding and mtn biking, so I can get close to mileage if I need to know. Just want to ride a few times a week, have fun and not get hung up on all the stats.

Keith

Single Speed Convert

All my bikes have computers on them and I used to be really fixated on how fast am I going during the rides and my maximum speed on descents.

Nowadays, I pretty much ignore them while in the saddle and only look after to see duration time and clock of course to see if it is indeed time to go home yet.
    Life's simple pleasure - RIDE!

blame me for missed rides
    i don't use computers on mtn bikes.

Ron
    mtbr member
    I have one on my road machine which is a converted to SS Trek Multi-track 7500 running 42x18. My Surly 1x1 is way too macho to run with a speedo.

grasso e lento

Computers

I use them on all my bikes just so I can see how long the ride was both in time and milage. I don't care about the speed or average speed or if it could surf the web. Most of my computers have been free so why not use them..

-Dude
    If you wish to be out front, then act as if you are behind

mtbr member

I bought one...

from Walmart last fall or summer, A cheapo Schwinn one for $10 with 14 functions. I used the odometer and time function. I never used it to see how fast I was going. I already knew the answer to that one: either slow or slower.

mtbr member

Computer & HRM on the SS

I only use them on the SS just to see how I'm doing specially when riding on the road.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    No - I just ride with others who do use them.

They do come in handy when exploring an unfamiliar area... "make left at 1.3 miles".

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    yep, but the same computer rotates between three bikes. each has a mount/wire/sensor, and the comp moves between them all. not so much worried about mileage, but i like it for whenever i'm somewhere new, to keep track of turns and so on. half the time, i forget to grab it and move it onto whatever i'm riding that day anyhow.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

theHeadlessThompsonGunner

Nope. Never. Not at all.

It's just too damn much more stuff to attach to my bike. I'm unconcerned about mileage, and certainly don't need to keep track of my speed! It's more fragile gear, and that's what it really boils down to for me.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

don't try this at home
    I use one on my ss for time. I hate wearing a watch while doing anything where i'll sweat. I ride the same park almost every time so I know my miles. but i usually have a short amount of time to ride so I have to be a bit time conscious. total miles i wait to see when i'm done, it's especially nice when i change my routes up and can get a sense for future rides what worked in any given time.

No relation

I do

I like to track just how little I'm riding at the moment. I also find it useful if I'm following directions from someone else, although I prefer to ride with the guidebook author when possible.

I recently mounted a device on my handlebars that tells me if I have a headwind or a tailwind. Valuable input for the serious cyclist. It's a small plastic airplane with a propeller. If I'm going really fast (which I can tell by checking my "Current Speed" on the computer) but the propeller is barely spinning, it means I have a tail wind, not that I've suddenly become super human. Also, if I'm going really slowly (data also available from the computer) but the propeller is spinning like crazy, I have a headwind. Awesome!

Actually, the noise of the propeller is really annoying, so now I only ride with a tailwind.
    Don't you ever, don't you ever, stop being dandy showing me you're handsome.

Cracker-magnon
    I have one on the single mostly for the clock, and to track total miles. The only other thing I find it handy for is if I am following milage directions on a new trail.
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

Master of the Obvious

I'm a User

I may be misguided but I keep track of all my yearly mileage, for no other reason then I want to know how many damn miles I have ridden this year, I don't care about cadence, nor do I care about HRM I figure my heart will tell me if I am going to hard!

3D guy

... and if we just ... 720i for me also..

Quote Originally Posted by JJT
    On non commuting rides I always use my Polar S720i. I like to know and to record the numbers..

During the SS rides I just put it on and off again when finishing the ride. I like to see what I did during the ride on my computer at home. It's part of my experience I guess..
    I also use the polar 720i. I always wear it a watch (i.e., wear it on my wrist and not the bike), it picks up just fine for me. I have speed sensors on my SS and gearie so I can easily use either bike and know what I rode, how fast, etc, but do not have it in front of me when I am riding to bug me. Style-wise I love the clean look and like to be wireless (technologically cool yet sano) Works great for me.

Geoff

mtbr member

Idea! not a bike computer, a GPS

I use a Rino120 GPS/radio to record my rides (and total climbing effort). I could look at it to see all sorts of data like a computer gives (avg. speed, max, etc.) but that's not important to me. I just want to ride and summarize the data (like why am I so tired?). Bike computers were always a hassle to keep working, keep the sensor adjusted, wires safe, etc. Of course the GPS is good for finding your way around (or back) and works in a car too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast