Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sore wrists question?

2K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  Mr Pink57 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a ss 29er next year - a Kona Unit, Karate Monkey, or something like that.

So in preparation for that I've been trying to ride without shifting, and just sticking to 32 upfront and somewhere between 18~22 on the back. So far it works pretty well, but when I'm standing for steep or long climbs I find myself putting a lot of force into my wrists.

I've got full barends on my winter bike, and those work a little better because they move more of the force into the biceps. I've seen a lot of people recommend H bars, but I don't think those give the same kind of leverage? And at this point I don't think I'm brave enough to try dropbars on singletrack.

I've already got a touch of cts or tendonitis, and I'm wondering if switching to singlespeed is doomed to make it worse? There aren't very many single-speed-specific wrist complaints around here though, so am I doing it wrong?

Any technique advice?

#5 ·
So the H/Mary/fubar help when you're standing, too?

I've got Ergons, which I love. But when I'm doing the fake-single-speed thing I stand a lot more, so I rock the bike side to side a lot more than I'm used to. I've tried to cut back on that, but somewhere in that range of motion I'm still tweaking my wrist the wrong way.

But it sounds like I'm not doomed, which is encouraging.

#6 ·
The only thing I can offer is my experience. I have been riding SS for a long time. My wrists have never given me trouble, but my hands have. When I switched to Eastern Fuquay Flyers grips that helped a whole lot because they are thicker(My wife has Ergons and I hate them) I stand more than most and my bike rocks side to side big time. My bars are now 660mm(26") and I am going to get some that are 27" or so, but that's more preference.

#7 ·
before making a bar purchase be sure there is a comfortable amount of sweep for you. sometimes too much or too little sweep puts certain individual's wrists at uncomfortable angles, really depends on your body geometry. Got friends? jump on their bikes and check the bars for fitment.

#9 ·
newfangled said:

I've got Ergons, which I love. But when I'm doing the fake-single-speed thing I stand a lot more, so I rock the bike side to side a lot more than I'm used to. I've tried to cut back on that, but somewhere in that range of motion I'm still tweaking my wrist the wrong way.

Yeah Man, that's what they're for! Standing and Mashing your ass up the hill!

#10 ·
I'd take your bike and shoes (if clipless) into a competent LBS and have them look at your wrist position. Strap your shoes on and stand on the bike with the front wheel in a rack and stand on the bike like you would be ready to crank on the bars. Another set of eyes should be able to help you out. Another problem with wrists is how your levers are setup. I had wrist problems and it turned out that my brakes are in a decent position in the saddle, but when I stand, and especially uphill, the levers are too high. If you have a habit of riding/climbing standing with two fingers on the levers, or even with your hands in the same rotated position as if you were grabbing the levers...you may be cranking your wrists too far.
You should set your levers for use that is easy on your wrists not only in the saddle, but in the attack position (or standing). It should almost be a straight line from the forearm down the back of the hand. Once I rotated my levers down, it was much better.
HTH,
Jesse

#11 ·
I had a huuge problem with wrist pain for years. I finally went to the physical therapist, and he thought that I had too many activities that put a lot of stress on the wrists. In the end, I had to choose between continuing to ride and continuing to masturbate.

Anyway, I have a used 26" Monocog with those new-fangled fubars that I won't be using.

#12 ·
Bar ends will help out on the climbs. The hand positioning is perfect for out of the saddle mashing. Ergons for everything else. I have been riding rigid SS for 4 years now with no issues. Don't let the haters scare you away from bar ends... they are an SSer's best friend:thumbsup:

#15 · (Edited)
Thanks folks.

I've realized that a lot of it is just that until a week or two ago I'd never done standing climbs. For hills it's always been put it grannygear, nose down to the bars if necessary, and spinnnnnnn. I just need to get better at it, but even on a quick ride at lunch I could tell that it feels more normal and I'm getting better control of what forces are going where.

When it's time for the new bike (spring is how far away?) I'll definitely be looking into some of the bar options, though. Or keep the giant bar ends.

#16 ·
newfangled said:

Were your wrist hurting before you starting doing the mock ss riding? If they weren't then I doubt it was your bars. You say you rock the bike side to side a lot and I'm thinking your bars might be too short and your wrist angle is too acute for that type of riding. Another style of riding you might try that has worked for me is to focus on pulling yourself forward with your upper body while seated instead of shifting your bike side to side while standing.

#17 ·
vindiggitydog said:
Bar ends will help out on the climbs. The hand positioning is perfect for out of the saddle mashing. Ergons for everything else.Don't let the haters scare you away from bar ends... they are an SSer's best friend:thumbsup:
Verbatim/Ditto...

And I still say - why stop at 26" or 27"... go all the way to 31" and cut back (but only if you need to!) I guarantee you'll have more climbing leverage, greater stability = greater control for technical lines and smoother descents with a wide bar upfront. I had given much thought to jumping on the Alt-bar bandwagon, but every single pair I picked up = same personal conflict. Too narrow!!!!

For some these newish' bars are apparently the answer, but at the very least find someone with a wide bar for your own personal comparison.

#18 ·
newfangled said:
Thanks folks.

I've realized that a lot of it is just that until a week or two ago I'd never done standing climbs. For hills it's always been put it grannygear, nose down to the bars if necessary, and spinnnnnnn. I just need to get better at it, but even on a quick ride at lunch I could tell that it feels more normal and I'm getting better control of what forces are going where.

When it's time for the new bike (spring is how far away?) I'll definitely be looking into some of the bar options, though. Or keep the giant bar ends.
Granny gear??? You're in a Singlespeed forum!!! Intruder alert!!!! HAHA:thumbsup:

#19 ·
When I first moved into SS (only maybe two months ago?), I had a Fisher rig that came with 620 bars and were definitely too narrow (the 29er wheels felt like they were overpowering me instead of the other way around). I got wider bars- Niner Flat-Top 9's, and those were great, but then I had some pain that was definitely due to not enough sweep. I got some Salsa Pro Motos w/ 17 deg sweep and some Ergons and have had no pain since and have been riding several times a week- lots of time climbing and out of the saddle as I live on the front range of CO.

#21 ·
umarth said:
I had a huuge problem with wrist pain for years. I finally went to the physical therapist, and he thought that I had too many activities that put a lot of stress on the wrists. In the end, I had to choose between continuing to ride and continuing to masturbate.

Anyway, I have a used 26" Monocog with those new-fangled fubars that I won't be using.
Priorities... Check!

#22 ·
vindiggitydog said:
Granny gear??? You're in a Singlespeed forum!!! Intruder alert!!!! HAHA:thumbsup:
Hey, I'm admitting my mistake and thinking about coming over to the dark (errr light?) side. :) Just gotta wait until spring. But even from playing around I've learned a lot. There are lots of places where I used to always fuss around trying to find the right gear. Now I just stay in mid/mid, build up some momentum, and pedal harder. It works like a charm.

And super-wide bars probably won't help me, because they put the hands at the same basic angle. It's why I like barends, because they let you rotate everything 90 degrees. But if the sweepier alt-bars can accomplish the same basic thing, without me having to completely change hand positions (and abandoning the brakes, and catching on stuff) I'll be trying some out.

#23 ·
esku said:
Ragley Carnegie bar, no more pain :cool:
this!
mary bars were too tall with too much backsweep for me. they were super comfy but i found the aggressive side of me would dissapear while riding them.
the ragely carngie bars seem perfect.
+1 for oury grips, but you get more cushion with the non lock ons(glue them on with a spray adhesive or spraypaint)

#24 ·
I often found myself on the bar ends when I first started SSing and always had to fumble for the brakes. The FuBars eliminated the fumbling. I found them on sale for like $22 and said WTF, I'll try them and they worked out well.. Be advised, you may need a longer stem to accomodate your preferred reach once you install them.

#26 ·
newfangled said:
Yes they do. I use a Mary Bar on my Karate Monkey and love it. Because the wrists are turned to a more natural position, you have an angle half of the way to bar ends. If you stand up you cann pull the bar very effectively.

I had an accident a few months ago an broke my left wrist. At the moment my KM with the Mary Bar is the only bike I can use. 1:0 for the Mary Bar:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.