mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Some REEB love...

Been on MTBR for a long time, but rarely post...
    3-4 years ago, I wrote a review on my Reeb SS because it was the best bike that I have ever ridden (and I am a total bike whore) at the time.
    All Mountain Reeb First Ride Impressions / Review

Last year, I got a hair up my ass, and decided that I would go out and get a Yeti SB4.5c. I wanted to up the fun factor....more speed, little bit of rear travel to smooth out the bigger hits, little more travel up front, gears, still dead sexy, core company, etc. I rode the bike for about 3 months, and it collected dust for the remainder of the year. Every time that I would get on my Reeb, I would tell myself, that this is the most fun I have ever had on a bike, and why would I ride anything else? I never thought that on the Yeti (and it was a sick bike).

I traded the SB4.5 for a SB6c - full on enduro freight train. This would surely be more fun than my steel hard tail singlespeed ..I will admit, the SB6 sure is fun going downhill at a fast rate of speed...but would it last in the stable?

This weekend I signed up for the Breck 32XC. I brought the Reeb SS to keep it simple - haven't been on the bike in a few months (been riding down hills on my new SB6). Once again, I was reminded HOW MUCH F*CKING FUN THIS BIKE IS. It is so dialed it's ridiculous...
    The top tube is just long enough. Seat tube angle = perfect. The chain stay length is damn near perfect. Wheelbase is spot in. HT angle is perfect for all around aggressive riding and racing (with a 130 PIKE).... You can bunny hop, air off any hit that you want (no other bike that I have ever ridden is so balanced in the air), pedal up long fire roads and drop the full suspension riders, rally DH (especially with a PIKE)...but when you get into the flowy stuff with a pair of carbon 29er wheels, you are reminded why this bike exists - it becomes a soulful experience...it is so connected with the terrain.
    I am once again reminded that the Reeb SS (Dikyelous I think they call it) is the best bike on the planet IMHO. It's the only bike that I would never sell for any amount of money, and look forward to riding every day, no matter what the conditions or trail. I am riding in Crested Butte this week - leaving the Yeti at home...

End of rant. #ReebMe. #SteelIsReal.

Some REEB love...-screen-shot-2017-07-30-7.23.25-pm.jpg
    Some REEB love...-screen-shot-2017-07-30-7.24.18-pm.jpg
    Some REEB love...-screen-shot-2017-07-30-7.24.00-pm.jpg

On wuss patrol
    So, you're saying you like your Reeb?
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    had to squeeze 3 years of posting about it into 1 post...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I rode a belt ss dikylous a bit over a year ago and it made the short list. Glad you love yours. You can squeeze 3" on the new ones IIRC, and it just adds to the fun. SS forever!!!

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Is your rear tire mounted backwards?
    One gear is all you need.

mtbr member
    I always wanted to like those bikes - no, I have never ridden one, but wow, do they seem so short.

Riding bikes with long reach, short stems, and steep seat angles has me just passing on something like this. I even tried to make an XL Soma Juice work and I couldn't. I kept it just to run a belt drive, but I never ride it. Nothing wrong with the Juice, but I just never got it to feel right.

Your bike looks really cool, but I just can't go back to short.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Is your rear tire mounted backwards?
    Ha, good eyes - ya, it was shredded so I put it on backwards. Bad idea jeans...would just skid out. I have a Bonty XR4 on the back and SE5 on the front now (2.3) and love it for the type of riding that I do (aggressive XC and racing).

I always wanted to like those bikes - no, I have never ridden one, but wow, do they seem so short.

Riding bikes with long reach, short stems, and steep seat angles has me just passing on something like this. I even tried to make an XL Soma Juice work and I couldn't. I kept it just to run a belt drive, but I never ride it. Nothing wrong with the Juice, but I just never got it to feel right.

I have had a few SS Niner's (A9c, Air9 and A9C RDO) and both of those felt short to me. The rear stays were fun on tight singletrack, but as soon as the going got fast or rooty, it was a shaky ride - stiff carbon and a short noodly front fork did not help either. I also had a first gen Spot Longboard SS..fun bike, but steeper HT never really gave you the feeling that you could open it up and rip when you wantes...This feels different. The steel obviously helps to smooth things out. I have a pretty long stem on her now, and it feels good - toying with the idea of going shorter.
    The only real bike that I have to compare it to is a Yeti SB6, which is probably the longest and slackest non DH bike that you can get...whenever I hop the the Reeb after riding the Yeti, I feel like it is just really well balanced for doing it all. The Yeti is f*cking SICK on steep as sh$t descents and going way faster than you should be going - but for all else besides that, the Reeb seems to settle right in.
    Not a huge fan of Strava, but for comparing ride times, I am right up there with my old yeti 4.5 on descents and climbs - fire road rides the yeti takes it... but long gravel rides suck anyways. The SB6 is a different story - PR's on anything pointed down....would be fun to try a Sqweeb (sp) !

At the race in Breck a few weekends ago (32XC), there were some wet / rooty climbs and descents on the CO trail. I always liked how the Reeb handles those - it is not mind numblingly jarring / stiff at all - it feels long enough to mellow out the consecutive hits...and the rear end is tight enough to whip it around on the man made stuff / flow trails. The dropper was a game changer for me - now I have 3" of rear travel. That + 130mm of dialed in PIKE (thanks to my ShockWiz rental from LBS) and it's money.

This is all coming from a very biased rider - I am sold on the brand / company culture / frame quality (I have beat the living s#it out of this bike for 3 years and counting), and most importantly the geometry...

All subjective for sure! To each and everyone their own...I'd be keen to try other bikes out there just to see what their like.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    Just coming across this post, felt it's worth mentioning that they do custom builds if you ask them. The wait time may be longer, but if you want a different geometry that fits what you want better, they will likely build it.