Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    zeebot

some boone love and..

brett spun me out a 21T cog in less than a week for my adventures down in the mountains this coming week.

enjoy the pic. a beauty!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Spookykinkajou; 04-27-2004 at 08:58 AM.

from the east

It's so clean...

Wowzers!

when you're not using that, you should strap it to the headtube, yes indeedy.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Sweet looking!
    I have a 22tooth Boone.
    I figure it's lasted at least 1,000 miles so far.
    Not bad.
    My aluminum 19tooth King lasted about 3 months.
    My steel 20tooth King lasted great.
    Where are those naysayers who said the ti Boone woudn't last very long?

I think I'll pony up for a 21tooth next time I need one. I'll try to man up for that now....

Bikes not Bombs.....

No Shark fins...?

I have a 22T Boone cog that has shark fins on the teeth. How about anybody else. Did he change it out?

JS
    [SIZE=2]Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... [/SIZE] -

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Change it out?
    Nah...what for?
    Mine is wavy on the teeth. Works great. I think the wavey teeth should rotate fwd.
    By the way.. it's pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by SS Jerry
    I have a 22T Boone cog that has shark fins on the teeth. How about anybody else. Did he change it out?JS

get down!
    sent you an email spooky about the 20T cog
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

34N 118W

sharked

yep my are fin-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by SS Jerry
    I have a 22T Boone cog that has shark fins on the teeth. How about anybody else. Did he change it out?

JS

JJT
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    yep my are fin-ish.
    Yeah, mine too.

Think the shown one is better so you can swap it to wear it to the max..

Boone Titanium Rings
    The sharkfins usually help clear the chain in shifting. I've always had them on smaller cogs. We realized there's no need for them here, and on a fixed gear single speed, there's a reversed thrust on the teeth when you backpedal to decelerate. It made sense to keep them full height. They could be reversed too, but you would need to look through the spokes to see the polished double step. I hate when that happens!
    Last edited by btboone; 04-27-2004 at 08:40 PM.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    I don't think it matters about the teeth.. no matter what.. people stop me... I'm thinking there checking my bike out when they say..."What kind of cog is that? That thing is purrrrty!"
    It's like having your cake and eating it too. If you want a 22 tooth wide based cog...it's gotta be "dead sexy" too I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by btboone
    The sharkfins usually help clear the chain in shifting. I've always had them on smaller cogs. We realized there's no need for them here, and on single speed, there's a forward thrust on the teeth when you backpedal to decelerate. It made sense to keep them full height. They could be reversed too, but you would need to look through the spokes to see the polished double step. I hate when that happens!

JJT
    mtbr member
    They could be reversed too, but you would need to look through the spokes to see the polished double step. I hate when that happens!
    I can only see one solution: Polish both sides

One gear to rule them all
    Are there any plans to make your cogs out of other materials, like Stainless Steel?

The sharkfins usually help clear the chain in shifting. I've always had them on smaller cogs. We realized there's no need for them here, and on a fixed gear single speed, there's a reversed thrust on the teeth when you backpedal to decelerate. It made sense to keep them full height. They could be reversed too, but you would need to look through the spokes to see the polished double step. I hate when that happens!
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by 32seventeen
    Are there any plans to make your cogs out of other materials, like Stainless Steel?
    blasphemy!

Boone Titanium Rings
    There's no plans for stainless at this time. The material's only one component of the cost. The stainless would still take the same amount of time to cut, would break just as many expensive cutters, and would take as long to hand finish, so they would have to be expensive too. The thinking is why not reduce 40% of the weight with ti if it will take that much effort. Stainless could be laser cut or stamped, but the cost of the equipment is major league, and the quality would not be the same.

One gear to rule them all
    I was thinking more about durability, not cost. I have used Ti cassettes on my road bike and found that they did not last very long. The larger cogs were OK, but the smaller one were toasted very quickly. I don't have any direct experience with the Boone cogs. I love the look of the boone cogs, but how long do the ti cogs usually last?
    I need to get a 17t cog for my new king SS hub and I don't know if I should stick with a stainless king kog or get the bling bling boone cog?

There's no plans for stainless at this time. The material's only one component of the cost. The stainless would still take the same amount of time to cut, would break just as many expensive cutters, and would take as long to hand finish, so they would have to be expensive too. The thinking is why not reduce 40% of the weight with ti if it will take that much effort. Stainless could be laser cut or stamped, but the cost of the equipment is major league, and the quality would not be the same.
    Todd............. If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague

Boone Titanium Rings
    The titanium is as durable as stainless. They are very similar in properties except for the weight. The 6Al4V titanium has a hardness of 35 Rockwell C, which is pretty tough stuff. It can be flame hardened from there, but we've never seen a need for it. You would have to do some serious miles to wear one out. The biggest factor is the number of teeth the load can be spread over. Something like a large or middle chainring will essentially never wear out. I'm still riding mine from 1993.

Brown Technologies
    Although stainless steel has a higher ultimate strength, it is a lot softer (lower than the Rockwell C scale will measure, but around 19 hrc). The hardness of materials is usually used to judge a material's wear characteristics. So, steel is real, but ti is harder in common sheet forms.

Brett

Boone Titanium Rings
    Brett finally brought me a cog with the wavy spacers to photograph. It's amazing what the reflection of a floppy disk and some yellow notebook paper can do. I'll post it to the website in my "spare" time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Boone XTR chainrings...

Any news on plans to make an XTR spline fitting ti all in one ring/spider? I know you were looking at an XTR chainset a few months ago...

Ian

Brown Technologies
    Yes, we got those completed last week. We have the XTR and Truvativ Stylo splines now. The 34, 33, and 32 tooth versions are programmed, but we can make any size you want. If Bruce is listening, he can post a pic of the 34 XTR he took last week.
    Brett

Boone Titanium Rings
    Ah yes. This must be the one.

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    whoa

Pinball Wizard
    Jan 2004
    Drool...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How much are you asking?

That is absolutely beautiful. I didn't see it listed on your web site. How much are you selling them for? If the price is close to the others on the web site I'd like to buy one. Email me if you can.

get down!
    WHOA! I'd like one also, how much?

if you're out, put me on the list @ michaelkauk@hotmail.com

and if you're in email me cause I have to have that!

in other news, Spooky I got the 20Tooth King Cog today, good looking out maing!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast