mtbr member
    May 2015

Soma Juice Issues?

Bought a 21.5 Soma Juice Brownstone a year ago and have broken 2 frames in the same spot over the last year. the company is most likely going to send me a 3rd frame but I am trying to decide if it's worth building up again.

A little backround on rider weight and how i ride:
    I weigh 200lbs fully equipped for a long ride and I run the bike with a 120mm fork plus a dropper post for the descents. I ride colorado trails that are dominated by full suspension bikes and I tend to keep up or pass them on the descents. If any of you are familiar with the front range of colorado, the most recent frame broke somewhere while riding the loop at heil ranch. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/52119

I bought the juice because i thought it was a slightly more aggressive(fit up to 140mm fork) xc steel ss and i am worried i ride to hard for the frame

That being said in the past I have ridden way less aggressive single speed setups without breaking frames(raliegh talus 4.0,Gary Fisher Rig,Spot Longboard, Karate Monkey)

Just trying to decide if this is this the wrong bike for me and if I should just save up for a new karate monkey, niner SIR or spot rocker

Any other soma juice owners having similar issues?

Soma Juice Issues?-20170716_083238.jpgSoma Juice Issues?-20160826_095850.jpg
    Soma Juice Issues?-20170716_083217.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My roommate has the exact same frame that cracked in that same spot. He just took it to a welder and had it fixed. He never got a response from Soma so count yourself lucky that they are sending you a replacement.

wanna ride bikes?
    You seem to be substituting the term durable with aggressive. They do not necessarily go hand in hand. Sounds like you may need a stronger frame.
    Rigid SS 29er
    Fat Lefty
    SS MonsterCross
    SS cyclocross
    all steel

"Fully rigid" isn't a thing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    That style of dropout (cast one from china, cnc'd ones from paragon, and everything in between) are a poor design, and the further you pull the wheel back, the worse it gets.

The rear axle is located so far behind the seat stay that the seat stay becomes more of a leverage point rather than support for the dropout. All the force that is applied to the rear axle from riding is trying to rip the dropout apart (or off the chainstay).

I would avoid EBB's also, if you are riding that aggressively, the EBB will have issues of its own.

Look for a frame with a better dropout.

Salsa's Alternators
    Spot's Kobe's
    Paragon Rockers

mtbr member
    It looks like you had the sliders pushed pretty far back, which would cause a lot of stress. Still, they should be strong enough to not break like that.

The EBB on my ROS 9 has been flawless.

WillWorkForTrail
    I'm 230 kitted up, and push pretty hard. I haven't had any problems out of my Brownstone, but I suspect my trails at their worst are not quite what your trails are. Most steel frames seem to be more XC like in their geometry (I know that's my impression of the Juice) but there are a few AM frames floating around out there. Maybe it's time to see if you can find something along those lines? In theory, an AM hardtail should be a stronger frame than an XC one.

meatier showers
    I don't have a Soma but since you're considering other frames that are fun & durable may I suggest you consider Kona's steel Honzo. I've enjoyed abusing mine for 4 years and it has stood up to my 225ish pounds with aplomb. I believe the Honzo is made specifically for the type of riding you do.
    =s
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    yea I would love a steel hanzo but it's a little heavy and the titanium hanzo is out of my price range.

I'm going to go with the spot rocker since I can get 35% off with them and I think the frame is a little lighter than the new karate monkey.

Sucks with the Juice since I really enjoyed it while it wasn't broken.

So far no reply from soma but I am pretty stubborn so they will have a hard time ignoring me. That plus I have my old karate monkey to ride in the meantime

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I love my spot rocker. The seat angle is STEEP. It took my a little while to get used to it, but now I am not sure if I could go back to a slack seat tube angle. The Rockers are also really long bikes, they have similar top tube lengths as other bikes, but because of the steep seat angle the reach ends up being 20-30mm longer.

It took a while to get mine dialed in, but zero offset seat post, 60mm stem, and the chainstays set to 435mm, its perfect. By far the best climbing bike I've owned.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    thanks for your setup info, thats where ill start when I get a frame figured out.

Yea I demoed a large Rocker for the first time 2 years ago in Moab at outer bike. Rode it down Captin Ahab and it's been in the back of my mind since.