mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Soma 4one5 - Anyone ride one?

Hi there,

I've been riding a Soma 4one5 for about 12 months now and cant speak highly enough of this bike.
    I first started with a rigid fork but have recently swapped it out for a new 80mm Sid.
    The Sid is a great fork and makes the bike so much smoother, particularly for my wrists.

Im interested to see what setup other riders have on their 4one5, mainly what length fork, stem setup and handlebar setup.

I ride a 17inch frame with a 0 degree stem and a flatbar, and have noticed that the bike tends to oversteer a wee bit and feel a bit nervous on the downhills.
    I think i will try a riser bar and see how much of a difference that makes, but im also interested to see what effect there would be from extending the Sid out to 100mm, which is relatively easy.

Does anyone have any feedback from running a 100mm fork on this frame?

Cheers for any help,
    Wil

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Just some quick pics for reference.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sorry I can't help, but it sure looks good!

...abuse these forks.
    Try a shorter stem.
    Dont pinkbike my mtbr

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    well the longer travel for will rake your head angle out a bit but not really enough to make a huge difference. plus most hardtails are designed around 80mil or no suspension up front so u dont wanna get to crazy with it.... but go with the riser bar and probably also a shorter stem like dirtydownhill said. you want to be able to get your arse behind the seat comfortably downhill ie a shorter stem. and the riser bar will sort of slow down your steering... hope it helps

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    I've got a 100mm fork on mine and love it.
    I ride the same size frame with a 100mm stem and Monkeylite riser bars. It gives me a happy medium between XC race position and a more upright position.
    I can manual easily with this set-up.
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS
    I work for a bike parts company

Crank the fork up...

From the Soma website it says the headangle is 71.5 degrees which would be rather quick handling. If by oversteer you mean twitchy then raising the fork to 100mm would slacken the head angle about 1 degree to 69.5.

Before buying anything new I would try this first and see if it 'slows' down the steering to your liking. A shorter stem and riser bars will help you to get back off the bike on the descents but will not change the steering habits.

BTW nice lookin ride.

mtbr member
    I had the 19" with a rigid P2 fork and it rode great. I had no issues with the steering. I'm pretty sure the rigid fork was more in line with an 80mm shock though.

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydownhill
    Try a shorter stem.
    Yes and a wider bar. I recently went from 90mm stem on my Rockhopper disc 29er to a 60mm and it is less twitchy (wasn't too bad to start with tho) more sure-footed and less wandering on steep climbs! I originally did this to help with fit on the XL (21") frame and it is way better handling and now I can get behind the seat easily on the steep descents.

Nice lookin bike btw!
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hey thanks for all the feedback.

The bike doesn't feel awful on the downhills, its more that every so often in tight singletrack, the front wheel oversteers and "tucks under" and i go OTB.
    It doesn't happen a lot, but its a bit annoying when it does.

I think its partly because i dont have heaps of upper body strength, and is something i need to work on.

I think first i will try a riser bar, and see how that handles before i lengthen the forks.
    Though i think the geometry is great and don't want to wreck it with a longer fork, im pretty sure its position related. Thats a 90mm stem on there, and i think going shorter won't improve the handling too much, i think its height related.

BTW, My seatpost is actually higher than whats pictured, as the post had slipped an inch when i took that photo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Just a quick update,

I went for a ride last night with a 20mm rise Deus XC bar, and the position felt much more comfortable.
    The handling wasnt affected too much, but i lost the feeling of going OTB on some tighter downhill switchbacks.
    Im not going to extend the fork, as the geometry just feels too good to risk ruining the ride.

I will be getting a low rise bar and maybe dropping the stem down one spacer.

On a differet topic, my seatpost is repeatedly slipping, and im getting quite frustrated.
    I have installed some gripping paste, but im having to put a fair bit of torque on the seatpost clamp on the frame, to stop it from slipping.
    - anyone with this issue or with solutions?

Cheers

Live, Freeze, and Ride
    Mine had that issue too. I actually stripped the head of the bolt trying to get it tight enough not to slip. Maybe replacing the bolt with something of better quality will help?

Here's what I did....
    I ripped out the seat post bolt and replaced it with a quick release, that I could reef on harder than I could on the bolt.

Works great.
    Inbred 29er Dinglespeed
    Rush Hour SS
    4One5 SS
    Hard Rock SS/Fixie
    In the woodSS
    I work for a bike parts company

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I just took apart the BB and cranks for a quick cleanup and while i was at it i also tightened the seatclamp bolt with the longer allen key set we have at the shop vs. the little park tools mini tool i have.
    Got a fair bit more torque on it and am riding this arvo so i'll see how it goes.

Just like my other bike, i began noticing a 'knock' within the seatube, that really only happened when seated, I have a feeling this is because the seatclamp wasnt tight enough, but no idea.

I don't seem to be having luck with seatposts of late!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Ok, going to get a riserbar and drop the stem down one spacer to what is pictured.

The riserbar has such a better feel to it that the flatbar, and the extra width is great.

The only bugger now, is getting a riserbar in 25.4mm - only Easton is bringing them into Australia now, all the other distributors are going with oversize and i dont want to buy a new stem!
    So unfortunately, an overpriced EA70 is my only bet.
    As for the seatpost - it is now silent and stationary! Just needed a bit more torque than what i was previously using.

I have to say, that i love this bike. It is really smooth, great geometry with the 80mm fork and just seems tough as nails.
    Compared to my previous Ala Carte, which was on the big side for me, the Tange tubing is smoother than the True Temper, at least from my experience.
    The shorter chain stays help with acceleration and handling on tight singletrack, but still seem to dampen out a lot of trail vibration.

For the price, i dont think id ride anything else!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Little Willy your Soma 4one5 looks like a fun bike to ride!!! I would like to take it for a spin!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Another update on my 4one5...

So the bike has been out of action for winter, as I decided to build up some SS specific V-brake wheels and sold the DT Swiss set.
    Took ages for me to get my grubby hands on some Pauls hubs, but well worth the wait!
    I laced the Paul Fhub and Word hubs with DT comp spokes onto some Mavic 717 rims, all silver.
    Looks way better on the bike than I expected, and has dropped a reasonable amount of weight too.
    Don't have any ride reports as of yet, but will post some thoughts once i've taken it off road. In the mean time, here's some pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Very niiice.

The need for singlespeed
    Bumping this thread because of 4one5 awesomesauce. Silver rims on a silver frame--yum.

mtbr member
    that's a sweet looking bike....nice job!